Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 09:58 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Potential school shooters seem to be getting younger every year, huh?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-4-o...172325668.html

Quote:
As the new school year ramps up across much of the country a 4-year-old student allegedly arrived at a Texas elementary school with a loaded handgun, prompting a lockdown and resulting in charges against their father.

The child allegedly brought the gun to John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Corpus Christi Wednesday morning. School officials learned about the weapon on campus at 9 a.m., the West Oso Independent School District said in a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 05:34 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
While recognizing there is a slippery slope, this seems like a situation where charging the parents is warranted. I support gun rights but I also believe gun owners have to be responsible. There's no way a 4 year old brings a loaded firearm to school without some negligence on the part of the parents.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:10 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
While recognizing there is a slippery slope, this seems like a situation where charging the parents is warranted. I support gun rights but I also believe gun owners have to be responsible. There's no way a 4 year old brings a loaded firearm to school without some negligence on the part of the parents.
I support under all circumstances charging the parent if their underage kid does something criminal with their gun. No excuses. Control your kid, your guns or don’t have 1 or both.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:14 AM

6,104 posts, read 3,341,443 times
If parents were held responsible for all the crimes that their children commit, perhaps up to the age of 21, and regardless if they live in the home or not, I’ll bet you that the crime rates would drop by 90% or more.

I fully support any and all parents being charged for the crimes their kids commit. They are their responsibility.

Also, a kid would think twice about committing a crime if they knew that mom or dad would also pay the price.

Some countries around the world operate with the idea that if you commit a crime, you aren’t just destroying your own reputation, you are also hurting your entire family’s reputation.

In the US, a kid can go shoot up a school, killing dozens, and the parents just sit back and go, “Has nothing to do with me.”

Old 09-04-2022, 08:59 AM

24,489 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

I agree. The kid at 4 didn't know the dangers so it is up to the parents to keep their guns out of the hands of their child.

The father should be charged with improper storage, endangerment of a child and the list goes on.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:22 AM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
The kid took an "inanimate object" to school. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:30 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Potential school shooters seem to be getting younger every year, huh?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-4-o...172325668.html
Isn’t open carry in Texas? Well then - of course lock him up - dimwit parents. And you want these to make decisions for everyone?

Old 09-04-2022, 10:32 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The kid took an "inanimate object" to school. I don't see what the big deal is.
Of course not - until kid shoots one of your own

Old 09-05-2022, 07:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
hahahahaha They actually locked down the school because of a 4 year old? They had to call in the authorities because no one at the school could figure out a way to get the gun? hahahahaha What a bunch of cowardly drama queens.
They should rename the school to Helpless Elementary

"While we do not believe that students and staff were in any kind of imminent danger, as a precaution the campus had increased police presence and maintained a higher level of security at the school until the Corpus Christi Police Department gave us an ‘all clear’ at 10:30 a.m.,” the district said."

If there was no danger then why involve the police? if the school had to pay for the police to come out, they wouldn't call in this case. Thanks for wasting the taxpayers money.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-05-2022 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
If parents were held responsible for all the crimes that their children commit, perhaps up to the age of 21, and regardless if they live in the home or not, I’ll bet you that the crime rates would drop by 90% or more.

I fully support any and all parents being charged for the crimes their kids commit. They are their responsibility.

Also, a kid would think twice about committing a crime if they knew that mom or dad would also pay the price.

Some countries around the world operate with the idea that if you commit a crime, you aren’t just destroying your own reputation, you are also hurting your entire family’s reputation.

In the US, a kid can go shoot up a school, killing dozens, and the parents just sit back and go, “Has nothing to do with me.”
Many 4 year olds don't get it. If the parents continually got charged, they'd loose money and have to miss work to deal with this. If one got jail time there is one less person to raise and guide the child.

I remember far back enough to know I was curious as a kid and checked out the house. I don't know the specifics of where the gun was but one has to keep a gun readily available in order to protect oneself. "Tell the home invaders to wait a bit as I have to go unlock the gun safe first"

Now if some idiot is leaving loaded guns around, then yes that is a problem.

One more thing. It is parent, singular. The kids that cause the most problems come from single parent families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies