Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you get the Omicron booster?
Yes, immediately. 21 8.75%
Yes, at some point. 43 17.92%
Undecided. 13 5.42%
No. 163 67.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 02:50 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm not taking it (haven't taken any of them, but got Covid in April 2020 and have been spared a second infection despite being a coach and substitute teacher), and I would be shocked if anyone who refused the first round suddenly said 'yes' to this one.

More curious to see who will or won't of those who got the first shots. If you're comfortable sharing previous vax status, please do.
We both got the J&J shot and that was it. Neither of us got any boosters and have no intention of doing so.

I still shudder when I see commercials pushing these shots on kids

Old 09-06-2022, 03:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Nope. Didn’t bother with the vaccines at all. No regrets!
Same here. MY BODY, MY CHOICE!

Old 09-06-2022, 03:08 PM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,926 times
No China Virus vaccines or boosters here. I've been sick a total of maybe 3 days in the past 3 years.

The immune system is an amazing thing.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:09 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Covid is over not getting no more shots!!
I’m not getting anyone shots as well, but COVID is definitely not over. ER nurse here. We see infected patients daily.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:20 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
No China Virus vaccines or boosters here. I've been sick a total of maybe 3 days in the past 3 years.

The immune system is an amazing thing.
Everyone who died had an immune system. Everyone who lived had an immune system. It is not the fact that you have an immune system which sets you apart.

I am glad for you that you are alive and well, but a vaccine is primarily to give your own immune system a head start to recognize an invader promptly and to go into high gear producing antibodies quickly. It could possibly kick into response mode in a matter of hours and increase a persons chances of survival many times over.

Vaccines are very helpful, and they don't replace the immune system, they train the immune system to recognize an attacker and they fade away. By the time most people get exposed, the vaccine has done it's job and has already gone.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:32 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Too bad you didn't put "Hell, no!" as a possible answer.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:38 PM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Everyone who died had an immune system. Everyone who lived had an immune system. It is not the fact that you have an immune system which sets you apart.

I am glad for you that you are alive and well, but a vaccine is primarily to give your own immune system a head start to recognize an invader promptly and to go into high gear producing antibodies quickly. It could possibly kick into response mode in a matter of hours and increase a persons chances of survival many times over.

Vaccines are very helpful, and they don't replace the immune system, they train the immune system to recognize an attacker and they fade away. By the time most people get exposed, the vaccine has done it's job and has already gone.
99.5% of people that got it even before vaccines didn't die.

My situation is certainly not uncommon.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:22 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I believe there are some early studies that show vaccinated individuals have less chance of contracting long Covid. I will probably get the booster.
I haven't heard much about long Covid since the original or the Delta. I do hope it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Here's the thing about Covid: people are thinking that the vaccine/masking/distancing thing is not necessary anymore because either they didn't get it, or got it and didn't know it because the reaction was mild, and that we should forget about dealing with the virus and just live with it.

But say you got Covid, didn't know it because it affected you mildly, or you did know it but it wasn't a problem and you just carried on with your life. But then you went to visit your grandmother and unknowingly transmitted it to her, and now she's got a huge bad case of Covid. Maybe has to be hospitalized because she's got a weak immune system, maybe something worse. I know of a case where this actually happened in our town. The person died.

This is how this thing keeps going, travelling through the population. Evolving in order to keep alive, trying first one symptom and then another, until maybe one day - a variant evolves that not only evades the vaccine and can still infect someone who's already had the virus, but also has horrible symptoms that require hospitalization for people who get it. That's what we should be afraid of. That's why all these methods of stopping it are offered to the population.
This is exactly how EVERY virus gets around and has forever. If you don't know, you don't know. We walk amongst this daily and always have. For those with weaker immune systems or underlying conditions, they need to be more aware of who they are around, if they think it is necessary. Unfortunately, in the case of Covid, the vaccine won't stop the spread. Do we live sheltered away from loved ones just waiting to die and then die alone and afraid? To each their own, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

There are those who have stronger immune systems than others. I think that was the point.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:23 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
After a couple of years, do you still believe this, or is your keyboard just set on "repeat"? Perhaps you keep saying these things because you are really trying to convince yourself.

How many "smallpox" boosters have you gotten in your life? How about Polio? I don't see people running down to their local pharmacy to get that booster for their measles or rubella vaccine every few months. Now, are there vaccines that need boosters...Yes. But those are YEARS apart, not months.

The COVID vaccine has been "out" for not even two years, and we are already heading for the 3rd Booster. NOT including the original 2-Shot protocol(that was supposed to be two and done).

You mentioned the flu "shot", but the COVIDIANS have spent the last couple of years tearing anyone down anytime someone dared to compare COVID to the Flu in any way. Now, I guess it's okay to compare COVID to the Flu as long as you are talking about the "vaccine". Of course, in terms of boosters, the COVID "Vaccine" has the flu beat.

If you want to get the 2nd, 3rd, or 300th booster for COVID because it makes you "feel" safer, then go for it. Someone has to keep these pharmaceuticals in business.
People were calling SARS-CoV-2 the flu. It is not flu or "a" flu. It is an entirely different virus.

The need for or frequency of boosters does not determine whether a vaccine is a vaccine.

The possible need for boosters was discussed even before the vaccines were released.

"Shot" is a lay term for an injection. A flu "shot" is an injection of influenza vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's all fine and good if the covid vaccine hadn't been required to keep your job or attend school It was being mandated to ensure than people weren't getting and spreading covid.

Except the "vaccine" didn't and doesn't stop infection or transmission.
The covid vaccines reduce infections and transmission. They do not completely eliminate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I just wanted to see how long it would take for someone to post a debunk article.

I suspect that covid simply causes excess inflammation, as does it's vaccines. I really wish I had concrete information I could absolutely 100% trust... fact is I don't necessarily trust either side on this particular issue.

I've had 3 shots myself with no lingering side effects, and have not had covid or so much as been sick since 2019, so real life experience tends to have me side with the "experts" here but I don't believe in authoritarian mandates and lockdowns, either. You will always have people who claim they never get flu shots, never get the flu, etc... but I do get flu shots, and believe in vaccines in theory as a way to hack the human immune system to be able to have resistance towards viruses. The mRNA shots are not pleasant though for around 36 hours, compared to a typical vaccine or flu shot. I'd rather take a covid vaccine that presents no side effects that are obviously inflammatory in nature.

Apparently they aren't allowing Novavax to be used as a booster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Novavax_vac...g_novavax_and/
Obviously we would all love to have vaccines with no side effects that are 100% effective with one dose.

That is not going to happen in the near future.

Any time you rouse the immune system there is possibility of sore arms, fever, headache, muscle aches and fatigue.

The "flu shot" is a vaccine: influenza vaccine.

Novavax is not approved yet as a booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Can't claim that (and I don't think anyone has) however, they definitely see a lot of the deceased's blood. I can see how seeing a large amount of strange clots would send an alarm.
I have seen pictures. They are clots. Nothing unusual about them. Embalmers are calling them "protein cells". There is no such thing. Clots contain fibrin, which could cause the appearance of the clots the embalmers are seeing. Pathologists are not excited about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I actually think that swine flu that was going around about 13 years ago was worse. I was sick for about three months back then. Like, really sick. We got no vaccines for that, not sure why they went all nuts over covid-19 and not that swine flu.
There was a vaccine for the 2009 pandemic flu. Variants of that virus have been used in flu vaccines since then and one will be in the vaccine for the 2022 - 2023 season.

Quote:

Many got sick and did not fully recover.

My hair stylist's husband died from it in June of this year.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:33 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:

I get that. I do.

The population of the USA is currently estimated at 332,400,000

One half of one percent of that figure is 1,662,000. That is the equivalent of nuking a large city.

So here's the thing ...

You will continue to be exposed to this threat. You will have the same odds every time.

Too many have succumbed, and it is a horrible form of death.

For many, the damage from the experience is debilitating but does not directly kill. It can be a years long recovery process, the disease long gone from your system you could have scar tissue:
  • in your lungs that could make your breathing difficult like emphysema
  • n your kidneys could force you into dialysis
  • in your heart which could have other long term effects.

And just because you get by all those threats unscathed once or a few times doesn't mean you are invulnerable, it could happen at some future exposure.

I am just suggesting that you could increase your odds of avoiding the disease and living well by taking the vaccine. I highly recommend it, but you do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies