Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you get the Omicron booster?
Yes, immediately. 21 8.75%
Yes, at some point. 43 17.92%
Undecided. 13 5.42%
No. 163 67.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 05:57 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Vaccination and paxlovid would very likely have kept him alive.
Or not. Why do folks continue to not only trot out anecdotal "evidence", but then make unsubstantiated assumptions on top of that?

This dude I know got sick and died and it _might_ have been from the 'rona and in theory he kinda sorta _might_ have lived had he gotten the vaccine, I think.

Not exactly compelling.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:05 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Or not. Why do folks continue to not only trot out anecdotal "evidence", but then make unsubstantiated assumptions on top of that?

This dude I know got sick and died and it _might_ have been from the 'rona and in theory he kinda sorta _might_ have lived had he gotten the vaccine, I think.

Not exactly compelling.
One can never know of course, but odds are odds. So I said "very likely" not "certainly" and that is factually accurate.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:33 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
acquired natural immunity is a better vaccine than a vaccine. Like humankind has been thru for thousands of years prior to modern medicine. The offspring in the New World were better off against disease brought here by the settlers without vaccines.

In order to acquire natural immunity you have to be infected with the virus and risk illness, hospitalization and death.

I do not know which "offspring in the New World" you are referring to, but the folks who were here before the "settlers" arrived did not fare well.

https://www.science.org/content/arti...ness-new-world

Benjamin Franklin lost a beloved son to smallpox and regretted not having him inoculated.

https://time.com/6112455/benjamin-fr...cines-history/

“In 1736, I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the small-pox, taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly, and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if the child died under it: my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen.”

Author Roald Dahl lost his daughter Olivia to measles:

https://vaccineinformation.org/infan...livia-dahl.asp

"'Are you feeling all right?' I asked her.
'I feel all sleepy,' she said.
In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.
The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her."

Old 09-06-2022, 07:31 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Yes, I will probably get the BA.4 and BA.5 booster. It occurred to me I spend too much time on conspiracy forums and that I've actually done enough research and observed enough real life cases, not anecdotal articles from right wing sites that make their money promoting their own narratives to know better. Covid is an inflammatory illness and though you can catch it and recover just fine, enough people around me have gotten it and felt like crap lately (one of them now has long covid) that I don't see the point given I'm already vaxed and boosted and feel just fine. A lot of these people who are convinced they have covid are testing negative on tests also, then suddenly they'll test positive on another test, so these tests don't seem particularly accurate.

Nobody around my community has suffered long term affects from the mRNA vaccines to this point, whereas several have suffered from having long covid, and one did suffer clotting from the J&J vaccine. Bottom line, I have to look at real life experience as my best indicator... it's all I trust, I've said it before.. and real life experience suggests they are not trying to depopulate us with vaccines. A random sampling of eastern south dakota residents suggest covid is an obnoxious illness for some, rather tame for others, and the vaccines are obnoxious for around 36 hours tops, and then people are fine. I've always gotten flu shots, I'll get this one. I'll be the guinea pig.

I don't trust governments, nor leaders, but I do trust my own experience. Maybe they really don't have a hidden agenda behind everything they do... just some things. If that vaccine was going to kill me, it would have done it by now.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-06-2022 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-06-2022, 08:21 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Believe it or not, science is built upon prior science.

They don't run full clinical trials every time they update the flu vaccine.

Stop acting like the booster was built in a vacuum only and that there is no prior knowledge with the technology.

They never test many drugs. You don't run well controlled clinical trials either for things like the ebola vaccine or for some new drug to treat a disease like anthrax. It'd be unethical to do so. Those types of drugs are tested on animals only before they're given to people.
With this particular technology, there seems to be some reaction or change based on number of doses, though. For example, with the myocarditis issue in teenage boys, the second shot greatly increased the chances, leading one Johns Hopkins doctor to recommend younger people only get one shot. There are reports that after the first booster wears off, you end up with negative efficacy, but not with the first two shots.

Just my opinion, but I think there ought to have been at least some effort at a human trial, and I think we should be way more cautious than we are about such a rapid succession of treatment.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:23 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,668 times
Oh dear! Yes! I'm getting two shots. One in each eye.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:32 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Maybe the vaccine reduced transmission of the Delta, I don't see that with ANY of the Omicron variants. We will see with the booster. Hopefully it will with many facing the winter months.

Anytime an expert sees something that appears out of the ordinary, they should document and report it. I don't blame the embalmers. I understand they are embalmers. I have not read what pathologists are excited about. Curious though.

Poster didn't say "no one got sick", just that over 90% survived. But you knew that.
Posted before, but will reiterate - my daughter is one of six kids in a suite at her university. As of now, four of the six are in "isolation housing" due to Covid. Mine, the only unvaccinated one, is not sick.

I know this is an anecdote, but everyone I know who has gotten the shots, with only one exception, has gotten Covid. I don't think there is any reduction in transmission at all at this point. Maybe the new booster will reduce a transmission a bit, but it's looking like two third of the people here are done with shots/boosters, and we don't know if the virus will just do it's quick-mutation routine once we start trying to hit Omicron so that in four months Omicron will be long past.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:34 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Yes as soon as it is approved. Seems silly not to.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:47 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Less than 30% of C-Ders will take this booster for sure, whereas 66% won’t! My estimate is that over 80% of C-Ders are at least fully vaccinated.

Suzy, take note of the drop! The vaccine side is losing and it warms my heart

Old 09-06-2022, 08:52 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,020 times
I will not take the Moderna or Pfizer if J&J still made it I might. But no I won’t be getting. Any more Covid shots. I prefer to be careful. Family members got Pfizer they were very sick. I just don’t trust it anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies