Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will America's Gender Madness Ever End?
No, it will only get worse. 30 25.86%
It will eventually fade away on its own when people realize it was all just a fad 36 31.03%
Yes, it will end when rational people force the government to stop grooming kids and put sex reassignment doctors in jail 42 36.21%
Stop worrying about little kids getting sex changes, you bigot! 8 6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 02:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
High suicide rate, why would you expect differently for someone in that position having to deal with a change, but studies indicate it decreases after full transition. Doctors do not call it mental illness, that's your term.

You never answered the question, do you just want all the clinics closed or do you want surgeries stopped.

https://fenwayhealth.org/new-study-s...idal-ideation/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345113/
Absolutely false. They are at a higher risk for suicide 7-10 years AFTER the transition.

Any clinic that takes a child's word for the illness without any testing or therapy should not only be shut down, but all employees should be charged with multiple crimes against children. They need mental health counseling to explore ALL their mental health issues. They don't need drugs or surgery. Is that clear enough?

It is mental illness and has been considered mental illness until about 4 minutes ago.

Please explain why you are in favor of medical experimentation on children for something that 80% of them outgrow. You are avoiding answering that question.

Is there a reason you refuse to say directly that you support medical experimentation on children? If so, you may want to rethink your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 02:11 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I am unapologetically left in my politics, and very involved in a community that has brought me into contact with a great many more trans people than most will meet in a lifetime. I love my trans friends.

But I'm also a Mom. And one of my kids brought this subject up to me when he was just 13. (Yes, he, born he and still he, though I do check in with him once in a while to make sure that's still what he wants. He's 20 years old now.)

Then and still, my thought was that I want to be kind, loving, and supportive to my kid. Yet also to protect him from this or ANY permanent choice that cannot be taken back, until he's old enough to be as certain as possible and able to manage any resulting effects from his decisions. I know what it was to have my future held hostage to questionable decisions made too young, if not exactly of this kind. THAT is what I wanted to protect him from. I've also advised him not to get tattoos yet, though he does want them.

And yeah, perhaps it was manipulative of me to do this, but one argument that I used with him, was that these surgeries were expensive and I could not afford it, so if he wanted to get this done, he'd need to grow up and get a good job and make enough money to pay for it.

People on the left and advocates for LGBTQ+ youth tell me that surgeries are not done on minors anyways. They talk about puberty blockers and later, hormones. They say that they hold off doing irreversible things until kids become adults. But I know a trans man who was 19 when I met him, who'd had top surgery and hormones...and he was going bald. I could tell he had an idea in mind of what he wanted to look like as a man, and that "nature"...on hormones, and how it expressed with his genetics...had other ideas. I don't know. I'm all for the idea of people having the power to change themselves to make themselves happy, having power over one's own self. But I just feel very strongly that it's best for people to wait until mid 20s or so before totally committing to something so major. But at least I'm consistent about that belief. I feel similarly about tattoos, cosmetic surgery of any kind, getting sterilization surgery or having children. Yes, having children. It is a lifetime commitment.

But I could still be loving and kind to my kids, accept things that they told me, and be willing to make some space for them to explore ideas...as ideas. And as forms of expression that can be changed easily, like one's fashion. Yet when given that freedom, my kid thought about it and realized he really didn't want it that much. To be honest, I've often felt like he's just vaguely dissatisfied with himself and wants to be someone or something different, but isn't truly sure what that might be. He also has mental health struggles and honestly, bigger fish to fry in his life.

Brings me to mental health, as it's been brought up in connection to this subject in this thread... Yeah, the mental health care system in America needs a massive, massive overhaul. It is, if anything, far more inadequate and poorly put together than the medical health care system. Trans people, and those who may have some sort of dysmorphia but perhaps may not need to ultimately transition fully and for life to another gender...they're just one of a number of different kinds of people who are being hugely let down by this system. And that fact is manifesting in a lot of ways, far beyond this.

And you'd be surprised a particular point of commonality that a TON of adult trans women I've known have got going on.

Lots, and lots of them...served (as men, pre transition) in the military. So yeah, a lot of those you think are some kind of wacky leftie freakos....are veterans. Reconcile that. But I don't have any issue with them. They are grown adults. They can do what they want with their bodies and lives as far as I'm concerned.

But anyhow. Yeah, I do think that for young people, it's become a fad, I guess, that's one word for it. Understandably so. When HAVEN'T teenagers looked for something that would probably shock their parents, but would get them entry into a very select social group (now, on the internet) where people would be almost unquestioningly supportive to them and be like, "Yeah, you're oppressed! Your parents don't understand you! Society doesn't understand you!" Like, it's catnip to the same contingent of natural rebels that were always part of the youth at any point in history! And, too, pretty natural for their parents and grandparents' generations to look on in some degree of horror and to fear whether these young people will even be able to survive once they've got the reins of society. /shrug But it's certainly a matter of degree when hormones and surgery are on the table, not just smoking weed, running around with boys, or wearing all black.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:14 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
It will continue as long as rightist media keeps it as a major point of manipulation of right-wing dullards. It represents such a small segment of people that it has always been ridiculous to get fired up about it.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:17 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
A good article on transition regret. https://nypost.com/2022/06/18/detran...nging-genders/

Old 09-05-2022, 02:46 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It will continue as long as rightist media keeps it as a major point of manipulation of right-wing dullards. It represents such a small segment of people that it has always been ridiculous to get fired up about it.
By "rightest" you mean people who do not believe in Sexual Mutilation of Children? Sounds a lot like Female Genital Mutilation in Muslim communities around the world.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:50 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Our right wing media, our right wing entertainment industry and our right wing education system is behind all of this

Old 09-05-2022, 03:10 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
My hope is that this gender identity be handled with effective education by the medical science.
Not the parents, not the legislation.
This is a physical and medical matter between patient and doctor.
Has it become a fad... I suppose.
I personally think most young person's go thru a phase of uncomfortable body acceptance. That teen body transformation is oddly weird.

True that stats show a miniscule amount of young ones actually DO have gender challenges. And of those I support the medical side in working with the person . Not the parents encouraging the change or denying this anomaly. Be informed without being influential.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:30 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, Biden would let kids go hungry (and I worked in the schools once, and some would)! He is demented old fool!

As some have mentioned previously, why are "today's" women not fighting the way the women have for rights, starting with the right to vote?

There is money to be made, so anyone associated with Big Pharma or the Medical Machine will support this. Few people have a conscience anymore.

I still "regret" being publicized will be the key to stop the insanity of having a "choice" when it comes to gender. I do not believe the "TRUE" transgenders are dangerous, it is those that will use the rules that are supposed to be of help to them that are dangerous. I believe the nonsense is hurting "true" transgenders more than helping them, as the anger flames over this.
The "medical machine" doesn't need a new type of surgery to survive. There are too few doctors to go around as it is. So stop worrying about the Medical Machine.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The "medical machine" doesn't need a new type of surgery to survive. There are too few doctors to go around as it is. So stop worrying about the Medical Machine.
There is a ton of money in gender reassignment. Boston Children’s Hospital has a special unit for it and they advertise on Social media, where teens will see it. They say this care based in science but it truly isn’t.
https://www.childrenshospital.org/pr...cialty-service

Old 09-05-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
After over a week of intense backlash, Boston Children’s Hospital removed language from their website that said the hospital’s youth gender program offered irreversible, sterilizing genital surgeries for patients as young as 17.

Until August 12, the hospital stated that to qualify for a vaginoplasty, patients must be “at least 17 years old.”
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...after-backlash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies