Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 07:44 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Nope. And even if they are, so what? Are you uncomfortable living near gay people, like it might be catching or something? I once rented a small cottage from a couple of gay men. I confess that I didn't like them much, not because they were gay, but because they were overly fussy. So, I moved. I didn't even turn into a lesbian either. I don't understand why so many here seem terrified of gay/lesbian/etc. folks. They're just people. I never even think about them except when I read the posts in this forum.
The OP said absolutely nothing to indicate he had an issue with it, but simply he wondered if that trend was in other cities. Overreact much do you?

This depends on the city. People often congregate in communities with similar demographics, and an observation of that does not mean anything other than an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 08:13 AM

18,472 posts, read 8,298,361 times
they're the perfect demographic for it.....

....they're not concerned with things that most straight married couples are...like schools, etc

Old 09-05-2022, 08:22 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,057,613 times
yeah, rich people with common interest often coordinate. Its a thing.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:25 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,218,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think it's wealthy people of all sexual persuasions and greedy corporations that tend to lead to gentrification.

Areas that were once full of artist or bohemian such as NYC's SoHo have seen massive change.

Similarly in London, over half the gay bars have closed, as LGBTQ people can just drink with everyone else without having to separate themselves any more.
Nah- in larger cities it was typically a trend 40 decades ago for two important reasons- gays/lesbians typically are not locked into housing choices by the need to consider public schools and often they wanted to go to areas without nosey neighbors/policing/HOA-club like hierarchies. So the previously developed and well located poorer or forgotten areas held sway. They headed to these areas before they were wealthy.

A lot of those SoHo artists were in fact gay or in very gay friendly industries.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Gays have always made up a large percentage of the "Urban pioneer" set.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:34 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Are gay people causing the Great Red Spot on Jupiter to change size?

Old 09-05-2022, 08:36 AM

21,155 posts, read 19,742,228 times
DINK = Double Income, No Kids = A lot of money to spend

Old 09-05-2022, 08:39 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I’ve lived all over the country and almost every area I can think of that’s been “gentrified” is inhabited mainly by gay people. In Charlotte the example is NoDa, an area that’s 80% LGBT. Has anyone else noticed this trend?
They have been doing this since the 1970s. No one else was doing the hard work to turn slums into nice neighborhoods but them.

We used to own a home near Union Station in DC. The people who "gentrified" DC (it was a crap hole then) were predominantly gay.

I'll tell you one thing, they sure as hell have cleaned up a bunch of crappy neighborhoods around the US!

Old 09-05-2022, 08:43 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yep and perhaps even more importantly time. No kids to run around and take care of(generally of course since gay couple's do have kids). So you have time and perhaps the energy to go outside take care of your home, get involved in the neighborhood, meet your neighbors etc. This type of thing makes a difference. In fact not all that different than most homes used to be when you had a stay at home parent while one worked. Somebody was home to take care of house and form a neighborhood community.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:50 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,403,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
More than that, no kids= spare time for projects. But they also have a design aesthetic and a good sense of taste. Many happen to be interior designers and artsy that way. I am gay and building a home out in the countryside. My redneck neighbor who is really nice always wonder why I do things that he considers weird or wasteful. Why use a four color palette when it could just be a single grey?

When gay people have a party their friends come around and they share ideas, they are more likely to have an avid interest in what is trendy or they make the trend. It is this eye for design that means if you gave me and the neighbor the same house I would make it more appealing. Gay people won't shy away from the frivolous to get a perfect look.

A simple way to put it is gays are good at design and rehabbing houses because they have a passion for it. This also gets passed on to some area businesses S the trendy gallery or espresso house opens and makes the neighborhood more desirable as a destination. You could take about any city and repeat the pattern.

We enjoy what we do, we have the time and money to do it and do what we do well. It's just the way it is darling. We like it fabulous.

Last edited by lookingaround12345; 09-05-2022 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies