U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

657 posts, read 192,415 times

Advertisements

Democrat Mayor of St. Louis, Tishaura Jones, wants to blame and sue car manufacturer KIA over the "out of control" car thefts here. Stating that it's KIA's fault for making cars that are easy to steal.

Crime in general, in St.Louis, is out of control and in lieu of addressing the real problem of crime, she wants to go after the manufacturer because it's too easy for our thugs to steal these cars. Along with an inept St.Louis Circuit Attorney, Kim Gardner, who refuses to prosecute criminals for their crimes and blames the police for crime, I don't see St.Louis ever getting a handle on crime.

As usual, it's not the criminals fault any more. SMH.......it's the cars fault!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

5,227 posts, read 5,481,690 times
Definitely a stretch. My first thought would be that the city would have no standing but I suppose it would in the same way states have been able to sue tobacco and drug manufacturers for increased costs in public services. But while they may have standing, the claim itself at least retroactively seems a stretch. Having said that I think Kia may have an issue if they don't address the issue now that it is known they may be open to liability in the future.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 13,965,219 times
More democrat “logic”

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

5,122 posts, read 10,721,439 times
Liberals love blaming the victims.

This is akin to blaming Kwikset for making inferior locks when a home is burglarized.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Definitely a stretch. My first thought would be that the city would have no standing but I suppose it would in the same way states have been able to sue tobacco and drug manufacturers for increased costs in public services. But while they may have standing, the claim itself at least retroactively seems a stretch. Having said that I think Kia may have an issue if they don't address the issue now that it is known they may be open to liability in the future.
KIA may address the issue going forward. Too me, that's a business decision on their part. I'm just tired of politicians passing the buck when they should be addressing the root of the problem. Just because I leave my door unlocked, doesn't give the criminals any right to enter my home unlawfully.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
More democrat “logic”
Their "logic" is to deflect and blame others so they don't have to address the real issues.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Liberals love blaming the victims.

This is akin to blaming Kwikset for making inferior locks when a home is burglarized.
Exactly!

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

36,886 posts, read 15,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
KIA may address the issue going forward. Too me, that's a business decision on their part. I'm just tired of politicians passing the buck when they should be addressing the root of the problem. Just because I leave my door unlocked, doesn't give the criminals any right to enter my home unlawfully.
Lack of guidance that is much harder in a single parent environment. 90% of the homeless are from a single parent family. 85% of the males in prison grew up without a father.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

2,993 posts, read 846,167 times
At first thought, this had to be a joke, but apparently, St. Louis isn't that original. According to the article, there are already several Class Action Lawsuits against both Kia and Hyundai because their cars are too easy to steal.

St. Louis threatens to sue Hyundai and Kia over theft epidemic

When there is a buck to be made you can be sure a Class Action attorney is first in line.

Quote:
In court filings responding to a lawsuit in Milwaukee, Wis., attorneys for Hyundai and Kia wrote that their vehicles are not defective, consumers did not opt for higher trim levels that included the immobilizers and that just because thieves have chosen to steal them doesn’t make their products defective.
I think the company's response says a lot. Someone was too cheap to buy a car with a higher trim level is not their fault. It's like a person buying a simple doorknob for their Front Door. But then blamed the company when their house got broken into because the lock doesn't protect them like a Deadbolt would have.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

69,243 posts, read 52,129,748 times
Last week Chicago's mayor blamed social media for the "street take-over" events with cars blocking intersections and doing stunts etc.

Blames criticism of her on her gender, race and orientation.

Oh well, if the voters fall for that stuff then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies