Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 05:28 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Homeless people have no right to camp in the streets or in parks or any place that is public and should be accessible to anyone. By living on public property they have preventing everyone else from using that property or from feeling comfortable anywhere near it.

I guess the extreme far left rules out there.
Leftists maintain their power almost exclusively by taking property from people who earned it, and giving it to people who didn't. That fools a lot of people into believing the leftists are being "fair", and voting for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 05:29 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Homeless people have no right to camp in the streets or in parks or any place that is public and should be accessible to anyone. By living on public property they have preventing everyone else from using that property or from feeling comfortable anywhere near it.

I guess the extreme far left rules out there.

Here in New England I don't know of any homeless camps but of course, our inhospitable climate keeps it from happening in winter.

Realistically though, where are they supposed to stay? You can't force people to buy real estate or pay for apartments. Unless you give them free apartments, that leaves the streets, or jail. I don't believe the government should tell people they MUST pay for housing and MUST work. If they don't want to work, so be it. I wouldn't pay $1500-2500 for an apartment if I made $15/hour, nor would I want to live with a bunch of roommates. I'd rather live in a tent outside.

I won't lie, there's part of me that see a romantic aspect to extreme minimalist living such as this. With the money I have I could retire. Realistically with $10 in begging per day a person could eat and even afford a pair of clothes or a gym membership for showering. Realistically it's the people with no net worth that are the smart ones... the government will provide services for them as long as they are able, but they don't risk losing all their assets from medical bills or lawsuits.

Living these days is not cheap. If I can't have a decent middle class lifestyle with one full time job, what's the point of even working? I can see the point of view of the people who say the hell with it. We enable them to behave like this, just like you do when you feed ducks or birds and they become dependent on humans. Natural selection still applies even though people would like to think we've evolved beyond our animal nature.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-05-2022 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 05:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Realistically though, where are they supposed to stay? You can't force people to buy real estate or pay for apartments. Unless you give them free apartments, that leaves the streets. I don't believe the government should tell people they MUST pay for housing and MUST work. If they don't want to work, so be it. I wouldn't pay $1500-2500 for an apartment when I make $15/hour, nor would I want to live with a bunch of roommates. I'd rather live in a tent outside.
And even with 'free' rooms many homeless do not want to abide by social norms and don't want to be in those places.

Majority have mental health issues.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:34 PM

573 posts, read 260,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If you run your cities the way liberals want them run, your life will be better and cleaner and safer! Trust them.

---------------------------------------------

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ell-homes.html

'I'm DONE with Portland' : Furious residents of the Dem-led city reveal to DailyMail.com why they have no choice but to sell their homes as 'homeless drug addicts' set up camp right outside their front doors

The homeless crisis is exacerbated by the worsening drug crisis, as hard drugs are decriminalized in the state

By TOBY CANHAM IN PORTLAND, OREGON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ANDREA CAVALLIER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 13:23 EDT, 5 September 2022
UPDATED: 14:21 EDT, 5 September 2022

In a city known for it's unique neighborhoods, bike-friendly commutes, and locally-owned businesses, some Portland, Oregon residents have become so terrified of the homeless crisis plaguing the area, which is now spreading into the suburbs, they have resorted to selling their homes - but realtors are struggling to offload them.

Photos by DailyMail.com show how some of the most charming, trendy and expensive neighborhoods of the Pacific Northwest city are now overrun with tent cities crowding residential sidewalks and littered with trash.

The Democratic city has one of the most deserted downtowns in the United States as soaring crime rates and homelessness are scaring away both locals and tourists. But now the crisis has spread beyond the downtown area and into the quiet suburbs, forcing many to leave.
Don't come here.... stay in Oregon (you and your neighbors voted for this).
Go to Seattle and vote Liberal there...

Old 09-05-2022, 05:36 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Knoxville, Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-81td5qSw

Jacksonvillle Florida
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...JRAP4G34EMIG4/

Texas
https://www.texastribune.org/series/...allas-houston/

It seems that homelessness is a problem nationwide.

Sure bigger cities have bigger problems.
The problem is exacerbated when you enforce no standards of any kind. Maybe so,ebody like the people that do the rainbow gathering could teach basic sanitation. I would say allow camps in specific areas but we do things like not smoke drugs in front of children, do not attack random people, don't block the door of anybody doing business because you are like that and they don't want to become like you.

In Europe and places like Japan being homeless doesn't mean you can just shirk all societal protocols and etiquette. I have had homeless people in Japan ask me not to smoke in their "house".

Obvious lack of self respect to yourself and others isn't tolerated. Homelessness doesn't cause this lawlessness, indifference apathy and neglect do. You try to say it's all the same but some places can tolerate it without encouraging it. Homeless people in America cause problems that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere. Homelessness is no excuse for the most dire transgressions on a daily basis to others trying to maintain a normal life.

It isn't all the same.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:49 PM

6,743 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
And even with 'free' rooms many homeless do not want to abide by social norms and don't want to be in those places.

Majority have mental health issues.

Yes, most are addicts, but those are the exact ones who don't want to go to shelters and would rather camp. Meth and Heroin are available and no risk of being prosecuted. It is only going to get worse.

But it's not just the homelessness, downtown never recovered from the 2020 riots, and the formerly "cool" Pearl has become like the Tenderloin with newer buildings.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The tents can be purchased new for as little as $35.00. While these tents were once found only in shops dedicated to the outdoors, they became so popular in the suburbs as backyard getaways that they're now easily found in department stores new. Used tents are easily found in Goodwill and other charity stores.

The folks who can afford a new tent most often don't even want a used tent. A lot of buyers only use a new tent for a season or two, then go buy another as the first tent accumulates dirt and wear. Many are only used very few times, so there are many that only need a good cleaning, but will sell for next to nothing.
And as the kids grow, a lot of families nowadays just donate them or give them away after the family stops road-tripping with the kids.

As outdoor leisure and sports activities grew steadily from the early 1970s, the tent industry grew with it.
The tents are now lightweight, have self-supporting frames, and are easily packed; they were first designed for backpackers and expeditions.
As short-term shelter, even the cheap ones are very good, and the expensive tents are so good they can be lived in for months in places like the Himalayas.

The tents have featured high ventilation for decades, so they become shade in extreme heat that can be quickly zipped up tight when the temperatures drop.

For the homeless, a tent offers some security and privacy. They're also good 4-season shelter now, especially with the better-made tents. Often, the addition of a very cheap waterproof tarp, thrown over a cheap tent, adds enough weatherproofing to make them habitable during the cold months of winter.

Portland's winters are milder than the winters east of the Cascades. Though Portland is slightly inland, it's still in a coastal weather zone, so when it's snowing in eastern Oregon, it's most often raining in Portland.
Tents are good shelter in a rainy city.

Really a lot of Portland's homeless are folks who are Oregonians who left other areas and moved there in search of jobs or better-paying jobs. Portland was still booming as late as 2017 in comparison to the rest of the state, but no single city has the ability to absorb a state's chronic under-employment problems.

I was there in August. The city does look quite beaten up now compared to when I was last there about 10 years ago. Portland as always been a boom and bust place, with big booms and big busts that always follow.

Even so, most of the city is still doing all right. The problems are more intense than in the past, but are still limited to just a few areas in a pretty large city that covers a lot of area.
Well thanks. I really wasn't looking for a treatise on tents. Just how all these homeless people who don't have a pot to pssss in are getting tents. Is there some organization handing them out, thus making living on the street semi-comfortable?

Old 09-05-2022, 05:57 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Knoxville, Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-81td5qSw

Jacksonvillle Florida
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...JRAP4G34EMIG4/

Texas
https://www.texastribune.org/series/...allas-houston/

It seems that homelessness is a problem nationwide.

Sure bigger cities have bigger problems.
Portland has about 2/3 the population as Jacksonville yet has more than four times the number of homeless.

No one is claiming other cities do not have homeless but there are some areas that are out of control and destroying the cities.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Awwww. They should just bring them in and all live in harmony. After all, they get what they vote for.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:08 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
My wife grew up in Portland and suburban Lake Oswego. Even in Lake O, part of the appeal was having the culture and walkability of DT Portland less than 10 miles away. My in laws recently moved to Phoenix, and they and my wife are heartbroken about what has become of Portland, it's worse than Seattle, SF, or anywhere else I've been. My in laws are mainstream Democrats and big environmentalists, but listen to them talk about Portland government and you'd think they're right wing Republicans, you'd never know they're boomer hippies who celebrate "Indigenous People's Day" instead of Columbus Day. Reality hits everyone at some point.

Having watched what's happened there, it's entirely due to government mismanagement and lack of a DT corporate presence. It's like watching a city commit suicide. Only other place I've seen kill itself like this is Baltimore.
The problem is that all it takes to make people like your wifes parents cave is to make it about race or priviledge.

They may complain to you, but they've clearly compartmentalized it to just that cities leadership unless there is more you haven't mentioned.

As such, they haven't learned anything and will continue to support these policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies