Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 03:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It doesn't have to be stocks. It could be mutual funds or municipal bonds or other conservative investments. But it would be yours and would be returned to you in retirement, not funneled off to the generations ahead of you.
Mutual funds ARE stocks. Bonds have been losers for years now.

Maybe your generation should have had more kids so there would be enough contributors to cover your generation.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:48 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
I suspect there is terrible waste in Social Security and Medicaid. I am guessing this because of examples I personally have known.

One example -- A couple has a child. The father is on disability but the mother has a good income. The child is entitled to Social Security disability benefits.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I suspect there is terrible waste in Social Security and Medicaid. I am guessing this because of examples I personally have known.

One example -- A couple has a child. The father is on disability but the mother has a good income. The child is entitled to Social Security disability benefits.
And most families require 2 adults working to get by these days.

If you think that situation is not fair, email your Congress critters. Congress.gov.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:00 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
EVERY election cycle that I can remember, going on 50 years now, the Democrats bring out the elderly and accuse the Republicans of planning to do away with Social Security and Medicare.

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

The Democrats are nothing but predictable. lol
Republicans have been proposing to end Social Security in all those years, you never realized that? The articles listed here are more recent, but the agenda is decades in the making.

Mitch McConnell says it out loud: Republicans are gunning for Social Security, Medicare ...

Sen. Ron Johnson suggests ending Medicare, Social Security ...

Trump Opens Door to Cuts to Medicare and Other Entitlement Programs

The Republican Party opposed Social Security in the 1930's when first introduced, and have opposed it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Not happening. Seniors vote.
Too many vote for Republicans routinely.

They have no idea what they do to themselves. If they continue voting this way, without giving much thought to the issue, they jeopardize their own financial well-being.

Often, Republican leaders speak of SS as an entitlement, it comes up when they make big talk about 'balancing the budget'. However in reality Social Security is self funded. Getting rid of Social Security would not actually help the budget.

Yet, the rhetoric has been couched in this way for decades. "Help the deficit by cutting entitlement programs". They have never been serious about helping the deficit this way, it is an excuse, not the real reason to kill Social Security.

This mostly comes from the pro-business crowd of Republicans. What they are actually after is to get rid of the employer contribution, this is the quiet part that never is mentioned. If they should be successful it would be a windfall for large corporations and destroy the Social Security system.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:00 PM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
More out of context BullSh*t from a public school indoctrinated usefull idiot.. Stupid should hurt.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
More out of context BullSh*t from a public school indoctrinated usefull idiot.. Stupid should hurt.
Manners. Manners.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:09 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
So when is my last SS check ? Oct ?

Old 09-06-2022, 04:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake, do you honestly believe this drivel?
GOP has always worried about entitlements.

Do I believe it will happen? No.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:19 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Mutual funds ARE stocks. Bonds have been losers for years now.

Maybe your generation should have had more kids so there would be enough contributors to cover your generation.
In other words, we should have brought in more contributors, who in turn should bring in more contributors, who in turn should bring in still more contributors. That, my dear Ansible, is the definition of a Ponzi scheme.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In other words, we should have brought in more contributors, who in turn should bring in more contributors, who in turn should bring in still more contributors. That, my dear Ansible, is the definition of a Ponzi scheme.
I didn't say it wasn't. Anyone who has done even minimal reading about Social Security knows that current workers pay for current retirees. How else could they have gotten it started without a very big pot of money? (There is some excess social security money stored in special treasury bonds, but that money is being used up)

The Social Security program was conceived at a time when families had 4, or 5 or 10 children. The idea worked. There were always plenty more workers than retirees. They could not forsee that we would have a baby boom generation and later go negative with fertility rates. Something will have to be changed fairly soon to keep these programs going.

But that doesn't make these programs bad ideas. I don't think we should go back to having old people living in poverty or on the streets just because they couldn't manage to earn a good middle class salary (or better) all their lives. Medicare is a necessity because our private health insurance system would never insure the elderly on their own because they wouldn't make enough profit.

There are good reasons to keep these programs going. And as I said before, without these programs, lots of grandparents would be moving in with their children or grandchildren, and the whole extended family could face medical bankruptcy when the elders get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies