Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2022, 04:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Did the father want the child? If no, then LEGALLY he should not have to pay a dime. Because when a mother does not want a baby she is LEGALLY allowed to KILL the baby.

That statement has been written probably 20 times. Not sure where the disconnect is or why it is so difficult to understand.

Now, of course abortion is 100% WRONG. And abandoning a child is also 100% WRONG.

But, we're not talking about right and wrong. We're taking about what should or should not be LEGAL.

If a mom can kill the baby, then a dad has every right to walk away, too. Or maybe he should just kill the baby after it's born? Would you prefer that scenario?
I would prefer you to address why you think either the mother or the father has the right to walk away from financially supporting a child.

The right to financial support legally belongs to the child.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:21 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
I see just the opposite in the argument women have to undergo the ordeal of child birth and all the dangers and deaths that go with it, as though pregnancy is like playing Russian roulette.
Um no!

As of 2018, the US had an estimated 17.4 deaths per 100,000 live births. It is estimated that 20-50% of these deaths are due to preventable causes, such as: hemorrhage, severe high blood pressure, and infection.

Ordeal? You act like it's brain surgery. Pregnancy and childbirth are natural and safe for most women. For those whom it isn't as I denoted in my first paragraph their deaths are preventable.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-08-2022 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-08-2022, 04:26 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
What's the reason you think they don't - because statistics prove therwise. 120 years, approximately of fertility and just one abortion is exceptional. That represents three women of which only one aborts (forty years approximately of fertility, each person). Quit making men sound stupid, like they dunno what their sperm does. Or maybe math is hard.
Most abortions occur because the female and/or the male didn't use birth control constantly and correctly so you were saying?

No, men aren't stupid and in fact many or most of them will ask the female if they are using birth control and many of them will carry a condom with them to and it's because they know what their sperm can do. The woman knows it to so why would she engage in unprotected sex if she doesn't want to get pregnant?

Old 09-08-2022, 04:54 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Um no!

As of 2018, the US had an estimated 17.4 deaths per 100,000 live births. It is estimated that 20-50% of these deaths are due to preventable causes, such as: hemorrhage, severe high blood pressure, and infection.
That's the deaths, but death is not the only risk. It doesn't address the approximately 60,000 women a year that suffer from complications and either short or long term effects on their health.

Quote:
Maternal mortality rates are a key indicator of the health and well-being of a society. Yet this measure does not capture everything related to maternal health and well-being. It is also crucial to track:

“Near miss” events that could have resulted in death.
Severe maternal morbidity, defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as “unexpected outcomes of labor and delivery that result in significant short- or long-term consequences to a woman’s health.”
Serious illnesses that occur during pregnancy, like ectopic pregnancy, and the postpartum period, like cardiomyopathy.
A richer understanding of maternal health before, during, and after childbirth is a foundation for developing safer, more effective approaches to maternal care. While maternal deaths in the United States number about 650 to 750 annually, severe maternal morbidity affects approximately 50,000 to 60,000 women each year, and the numbers are increasing. As with maternal deaths, many cases of maternal morbidity can be avoided.
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...-states-primer

And those are the physical risks. There are also serious mental health risks.

Quote:
Who is affected by postpartum depression?
Postpartum depression is common. As many as 75% of people experience baby blues after delivery. Up to 15% of these people will develop postpartum depression. One in 1,000 people develop postpartum psychosis.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...tum-depression

There's also a percentage of women that suffer birth trauma from traumatic labor experiences that can later manifest as PTSD. Actually some men who witness difficult births with their partner can also suffer from it.

Of course, the majority of pregnancies, delivery and postpartum experiences are not complicated, and people take the risk everyday, with not a second thought, because the outcome is worth it to them.

I highlight this stuff to illustrate that while I think it's a good thing to discuss making the decisions around parenting more equitable, ultimately the man in the scenario is just never going to have to take the risk of these very real complications happening to him.

So in light of body autonomy and that no one should be able to force you to take such risks, the decision is always going to lie with the pregnant woman.

If the father wants to parent the baby but the mother does not, and she is willing to carry the child and give it up to him then more power to her. But she can never be forced to do so.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:13 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Agree. I am female also. Don't they teach sex ed in school now? It seems that these days, people are surprised, if they are having sex and have an unplanned pregnancy. That used to be a big fear, and many chose their sexual partners with great care. I think with abortion available, they figured "What to heck, if I get pregnant, I can get an abortion.
:

Old 09-08-2022, 05:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I would prefer you to address why you think either the mother or the father has the right to walk away from financially supporting a child.

The right to financial support legally belongs to the child.
Did the father want the child? If no, then LEGALLY the father should not have to pay a dime. Because when a mother does not want a baby as the mother she is LEGALLY allowed to KILL the baby.

That statement has been written probably 20 times. Not sure where the disconnect is or why it is so difficult to understand.

Now, of course abortion is 100% WRONG. And abandoning a child is also 100% WRONG.

But, we're not talking about right and wrong. We're taking about what should or should not be LEGAL.

If a mom can walk away by killing the baby, then a dad has every right to walk away, too. Or maybe he should just kill the baby after it's born? Would you prefer that scenario?

Old 09-08-2022, 05:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Did the father want the child? If no, then LEGALLY the father should not have to pay a dime. Because when a mother does not want a baby as the mother she is LEGALLY allowed to KILL the baby.

If a mom can walk away by killing the baby, then a dad has every right to walk away, too. Or maybe he should just kill the baby after it's born? Would you prefer that scenario?
Why do you want fatherless children? Why are you enabling men to boo hoo about something they caused but can't undo? I love children, they deserve support of both parents. How come you don't?

Old 09-08-2022, 06:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Why do you want fatherless children? Why are you enabling men to boo hoo about something they caused but can't undo? I love children, they deserve support of both parents. How come you don't?
I don't.

I also don't want mamas to kill their babies just because they feel like it.

It's been explained many, many times. If you need more Information, just read through the thread.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:28 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
How about - sex is not always planned. Pregnancies are often a surprise. Married or not. I guess nobody here was young or found out your prevention didn’t function right. There’s a million reasons women get pregnant with out thought- and then realized it’s a problem.
Men have little thought. Many willingly pay for the abortion or disappear, blame another. It’s complicated since day one.
We are not robots.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:34 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Um no!

Ordeal? You act like it's brain surgery. Pregnancy and childbirth are natural and safe for most women. For those whom it isn't as I denoted in my first paragraph their deaths are preventable.
You need to read again. My statement was referring to the arguments made against natural childbirth some here have provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies