Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 06:56 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times

Advertisements

Seems like this is probably staged to me. Why wouldn't they just use roadside assistance like anybody else? Let me think about it I am stalled on the roadside, I can use an app or get pushed by 6 coal miners to their power station. Seems a bit fishy to me.

One of the coal miners just happens to be a WV senator... right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 07:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What do you think Carley Shimkus was getting at when she said this story could be a campaign ad for Republicans?
that some people are gullible and believe anything.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My plan for my gasoline-powered vehicle is to drive to a gas station and fill the tank with gasoline.

After that, the planning will be over.

If I happened to run out of gas on my trip, I would call road service and they would bring a can of gas.

I would feel silly and apologize to the driver for making him bring me gasoline, then I would drive away.

See how that's different!
Do you not understand that the same sequence of events happens with an electrical vehicle, they simply didnt stop at a charging station when they needed too.

pushing the car to a charging station was faster than waiting for their cars company service to come with a portable charger or be towed.

Yall are so anti the other side, you arent thinking straight.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
With EVs it’s not always poor planning.
This time, it was poor planning.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:00 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times
I notice on this video clip now that I watched it they don't mention a WV Senator is amongst the miners. I saw it when it was on Fox and Friends earlier. They claim it couldn't be towed but these days it's all done by rollbacks anyway. In other news professional wrestling is scripted.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Do you not understand that the same sequence of events happens with an electrical vehicle, they simply didnt stop at a charging station when they needed too.

pushing the car to a charging station was faster than waiting for their cars company service to come with a portable charger or be towed.

Yall are so anti the other side, you arent thinking straight.
Right, and my Gas powered car can get 300-350 Miles on a full tank of Gas. If it's open highways I can get around 400 Miles. It takes me 5 minutes to stop at a Gas Station and fill it up.

On Average an EV you are looking at a 270-300 Mile Range, high-end EV in optimum conditions you may hit about a 350-mile range. To fully charge it up you are looking at about 30 minutes and that is with a Tesla at a "SuperCharger". A regular charging station and EV could take you 4-12 Hours.

Yep, some people just aren't thinking straight.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:05 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Technology and change. Some don't get it, some never will.

There are people that still don't know how to operate a cell phone or a computer. Some have never learned to read. Some don't want to. Time marches on and technology evolves and its use changes. EVs are coming. The EVs you see today will evolve and be different and better in a few years. People will understand how to use them better. Infrastructure for their use will grow and improve. Will they obsolete the ICE? Probably not. At least not for a few decades anyway and in some markets, maybe never.

Just like some of us that remember rotary dial phones, Princess wall phones, and laugh a bag phones; some day not so far in the future we will laugh at today's EV's as being antique. We will shake our heads in disbelief that someone did something stupid like not checking their battery charge before going on a long trip of failed to use the electro-magnetic wave charger lane when their charge was low.

If you had told me 40 years ago that in 2022 I would go for a walk in the morning and be able to look at a 1 inch TV screen on my wrist and know the exact time, the weather forecast, see my heart rhythm/rate and a space satellite generated road map that showed exactly where I walked, how far, how fast .... I would have said you are crazy.

Who know what EVs will be like in 40 years. The way things are going, its more likely they will fly like drones and the highways will be used only for heavy transport and classic cars.

You may laugh and make snide remarks now but things will change and most people will adapt, or live in the woods. Either way , it will be their choice.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Technology and change. Some don't get it, some never will.

There are people that still don't know how to operate a cell phone or a computer. Some have never learned to read. Some don't want to. Time marches on and technology evolves and its use changes. EVs are coming. The EVs you see today will evolve and be different and better in a few years. People will understand how to use them better. Infrastructure for their use will grow and improve. Will they obsolete the ICE? Probably not. At least not for a few decades anyway and in some markets, maybe never.

Just like some of us that remember rotary dial phones, Princess wall phones, and laugh a bag phones; some day not so far in the future we will laugh at today's EV's as being antique. We will shake our heads in disbelief that someone did something stupid like not checking their battery charge before going on a long trip of failed to use the electro-magnetic wave charger lane when their charge was low.

If you had told me 40 years ago that in 2022 I would go for a walk in the morning and be able to look at a 1 inch TV screen on my wrist and know the exact time, the weather forecast, see my heart rhythm/rate and a space satellite generated road map that showed exactly where I walked, how far, how fast .... I would have said you are crazy.

Who know what EVs will be like in 40 years. The way things are going, its more likely they will fly like drones and the highways will be used only for heavy transport and classic cars.

You may laugh and make snide remarks now but things will change and most people will adapt, or live in the woods. Either way , it will be their choice.
So while I agree with you, I am reminded how rapidly newer tech replaces new tech in an emerging field. I remember having to buy a new $2000 AT every year to keep up on performance and demands of software while the old one, still on my credit card, went into the dumpster. That is likely with EVs as well. They could improve so rapidly that your shiny, new Joule will be obsolete and near worthless before the first couple years of payments are over.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:18 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SladLiter View Post
I’m sure there was a moment back in the day when people were pushing what was essentially the first car down the road to the next town while someone with a horse was riding by tipping his hat and laughing.
Bad analogy though. That implies that EVs have better functionality than gas cars like gas cars clearly did over horses.

THEY DON'T.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:25 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
The coal miners speak on this.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies