Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 07:20 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times

Advertisements

#ETTD

No Lie.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:23 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
From my time on this site my experience is right wingers get utterly irrational and downright stupid when any EVs come up. Now don't get me wrong the left starts out irrational and stupid. But the hatred is weird and creepy. It's like a giant green hawk will come out of the sky and use its talons to snatch their mudder dudder, F 150, gun rack and all if EVs are produced.

With solar and EV discussions there is more outright false statements made than most other topics.
Change is hard for some people. I get it. I'd bet anything that trump and his family are fully invested in EV stocks. They know what's coming but they have to feed the base . Toss that red meat to the pack and watch them devour it alive.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:26 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
It's funny, I listened to Trump years ago when he would show up on Howard Stern's program. Trump came across as a little kooky but intelligent and informed and certainly in tune with technology, embracing change and progress. Now this. I don't get it other than the man has found some pleasure and reward in pandering to the ignorant Neanderthals on the right wing fringes of American politics. Either he is leading them, or they are leading him, but either way he is just not what he was. I think he is an actor - a role player - who lost touch with reality and became the fool he was pretending to be.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's funny, I listened to Trump years ago when he would show up on Howard Stern's program. Trump came across as a little kooky but intelligent and informed and certainly in tune with technology, embracing change and progress. Now this. I don't get it other than the man has found some pleasure and reward in pandering to the ignorant Neanderthals on the right wing fringes of American politics. Either he is leading them, or they are leading him, but either way he is just not what he was. I think he is an actor - a role player - who lost touch with reality and became the fool he was pretending to be.
He's clearly telling his base what they want to hear that's all it really is. I mean you've heard him come out in support of the vaccines from time to time get booed and then he shuts up. He's playing politics, like they all do, including everyone in the media. Remember when he was saying they were his vaccines remember operation warp speed? Pepperidge farm remembers... And most of his base thinks the vaccines have killed more people than they saved so be it.

The media refuses to credit him for anything which only drives distrust of the establishment them and the vaccines. They continue to lie and obfuscate and think we are too stupid to be paying attention. I don't trust any of these morons. Keep peddling January 6th while you weaponize the FBI and other government institutions against your so-called enemies while you act like you're the political party that is so enlightened and intelligent.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:32 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I don't understand this obsession with electric vehicles pro or con. Let the free market decide and let people buy what they want. Right now new electric vehicle sales only make up three or four percent of total vehicle sales so it's not like there's been Major market penetration.

I personally think fuel cells are the superior technology but time will tell. For where I live they would be impractical because it gets down below zero with some regularity and electric vehicles just aren't ideal in really cold climates like in the upper Midwest such as Minneapolis especially if you have to commute some distance.

My Camry has 112,000 miles and I plan to drive it at least 250,000 miles so I won't be worried about a vehicle for at least 5 years anyways. I would like my next vehicle to be self-driving so hopefully they've made them less expensive and more practical by 2027 to 2030.
Excellent comments, spot on. I think there are some ideal cases for EVs, such as round trip commute cars of a moderate distance or as metro area service / delivery vehicles that return to a designated parking spot or garage to re-charge during the off-hours. It may take a decade or two before EVs actually become a big share of the total motor vehicle market. Yes, let the market decide - don't use government funds for EV rebates or price incentives as it disfavors the poor (since the poor buy new cars far less often).

And yes, hydrogen fuel cells may become a bigger deal in the future, especially for larger vehicles (trucks & buses), trains or ships.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:32 AM

6,012 posts, read 2,836,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://futurism.com/donald-trump-bi...-electric-cars

We all know Trump makes bizarre comments, but he once again rants on a subject he doesn't understand. Why do people still follow this clown? I just don't get it.
Did President Trump "rant against electric cars", as your article provides very little of what was said at his campaign rally? It seems your article provided a claim that President Trump has turned against electric vehicles without providing any proof of it... Given your current status on your profile, I thought you were against that kind of thing?

Old 09-07-2022, 07:35 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Change is hard for some people. I get it. I'd bet anything that trump and his family are fully invested in EV stocks. They know what's coming but they have to feed the base . Toss that red meat to the pack and watch them devour it alive.
Just because one invests in a product to prosper, doesn’t mean they have to support what they’re investing in. EV’s got a long way to go before they appeal to the masses.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Just because one invests in a product to prosper, doesn’t mean they have to support what they’re investing in. EV’s got a long way to go before they appeal to the masses.
Right now the biggest thing is the price. Most people I know would love to have a Tesla. Where things get twisted up is when somebody thinks completely gimping our grid while adding EVs at the same time. I remember my neighbor saying he thought big flat screen TVs were obnoxious when they cost $5,000 and now he has one. Hating what one can't afford is common, you don't want it, nobody needs it, my model T still works etc.

It would be nice if they gained enough traction in the big cities that they weren't consumed by smog.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:42 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
You do realize that oil has been a bargaining tool between counties?
Take that power away and infuse ev, you become a smidge more Independent and self reliant as a country.
So pardon if sensible reasoning on how to support this technology bothers the Exxon/middle east profiteers.
As for that current know nothing , he can have his opinion. He has no education in this technology. Or how it can be beneficial. Course if it doesn't benefit him... It's hugely BAD.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:45 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Teslas are some of the bestselling new vehicles sold each year recently. Especially in Europe. EVs are gonna take over the same way automatic transmissions did in the 70s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies