Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 08:19 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Can you quote some of those outright false statements?
That people on this forum make about solar? They don't work in heat, they don't work in cold, they produce nothing in cloudy weather. I could go on i but goo any thread longer than one page and there is a stream of patently false statements every time. I know first hand because I have decades of experience installing them.

I was talking about this site, if you expect me to actually care what Trump said that's not going to happen. My observation was the average conservative either lies or has a lot of misconceptions. Now sometimes they do have valid points usually mixed in somewhere.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:19 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I don't understand this obsession with electric vehicles pro or con. Let the free market decide and let people buy what they want. Right now new electric vehicle sales only make up three or four percent of total vehicle sales so it's not like there's been Major market penetration.

I personally think fuel cells are the superior technology but time will tell. For where I live they would be impractical because it gets down below zero with some regularity and electric vehicles just aren't ideal in really cold climates like in the upper Midwest such as Minneapolis especially if you have to commute some distance.

My Camry has 112,000 miles and I plan to drive it at least 250,000 miles so I won't be worried about a vehicle for at least 5 years anyways. I would like my next vehicle to be self-driving so hopefully they've made them less expensive and more practical by 2027 to 2030.
The Democrats and their crazy environMENTAList constituents don't WANT a free market though.

They want to crush fossil fuels because they know that given the choice, EVs will not survive!

Old 09-07-2022, 08:23 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Better that following a guy who got on national television flanked by marines and threatened half the country.
Except that poster isn’t a Biden voter.

He’s Canadian.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:26 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Can you please quote what he said? If one is going to start a thread with the title "Nothing he said is true" it would be logical to include the specific comments that upset you.
Read the article. It's in there.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:35 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You missed one, the pollution from the EV tires, due to the heavy weight, in fact "tire emissions that are almost 400 times greater than real-world tailpipe emissions."

https://carbuzz.com/news/ev-tires-wo...pipe-emissions
I watched a youtube video of Joe Rogan interviewing a guy who took a Tesla and replaced the batteries with a V8 motor. Took him two years to do it. What surprised me was after doing so, the car was lighter by 1200 pounds. The Tesla's weight was nearly 5000 pounds before replacing the battery with a gas motor. I didn't realize these cars were that heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRgOGGgisI

Old 09-07-2022, 08:36 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Read the article. It's in there.
Nope. Just a rant by some guy in Toronto. I like to go to the original source. Please give the exact quote that upset you.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:37 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
From my time on this site my experience is right wingers get utterly irrational and downright stupid when any EVs come up. Now don't get me wrong the left starts out irrational and stupid. But the hatred is weird and creepy. It's like a giant green hawk will come out of the sky and use its talons to snatch their mudder dudder, F 150, gun rack and all if EVs are produced.

With solar and EV discussions there is more outright false statements made than most other topics.
We get mad because the government is intentionally artificially raising the prices of energy for a proven technology (ICE) in order to push EVs.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I watched a youtube video of Joe Rogan interviewing a guy who took a Tesla and replaced the batteries with a V8 motor. Took him two years to do it. What surprised me was after doing so, the car was lighter by 1200 pounds. The Tesla's weight was nearly 5000 pounds before replacing the battery with a gas motor. I didn't realize these cars were that heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRgOGGgisI
This is one of the obstacles to using EV semi trucks, the increased load.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:43 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Right now the biggest thing is the price. Most people I know would love to have a Tesla. Where things get twisted up is when somebody thinks completely gimping our grid while adding EVs at the same time. I remember my neighbor saying he thought big flat screen TVs were obnoxious when they cost $5,000 and now he has one. Hating what one can't afford is common, you don't want it, nobody needs it, my model T still works etc.

It would be nice if they gained enough traction in the big cities that they weren't consumed by smog.
There’s plenty of options for much less than a Tesla if one wants an EV. The infrastructure in much of the country is nowhere close to it being reality for so many…and I had a big screen tv when they were supposedly obnoxious…and for anyone towing anything of significance they’re all but no use unless one is making very short trips.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:52 AM

1,874 posts, read 649,072 times
I do not need Trump to tell me I should keep my FJ Cruiser 6M for as long as possible.

It is less about range than it is about time, as in how long in the cockpit and how short to refuel. Whether my ICE FJ have 19 mpg or your EV Leaf with its estimated 100 mpg, most people break after about the 4-6 hrs driving time. I can refuel 16 gal in a few minutes while the Leaf need several hrs even at 240V.

For example...

I used to run once a month SLC - LV which is about 450 miles. I have to refuel my FJ about 14 gal 1/2 way. A fully charged Leaf would last roughly the same range of 200-something miles. I can take 15 minutes to refuel, restroom break, and snacks. The Leaf would need hours to recharge. So for roughly 3 hrs of driving time, I have to break for the rest of the day? Sorry, but no can do. The current Tesla claimed to charge 200 miles in 15 minutes and that is more acceptable, but am still going to let others refine the process before I invest in an EV.

As far as the planet is concerned, my house is solar and my bikes get 45-50 mpg even uphill and against a headwind. So am already doing reasonable work to 'save' the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies