Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 06:18 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Climate change.
Like that's going to make a difference when the other +7 billion people around the world need cheap reliable energy to survive. Maybe you should be paying attention to what a couple bucks increase per gallon of gas has done to the economy here or even worse in Europe. Face it fossil fuels will be burned whether you like it or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:24 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:

You know, like a responsible citizen who isn't looking out solely for themself.
No one is saying we can't be energy efficient but you live in a fantasy land if you think fossil fuels won't be major part of our energy mix for the foreseeable future.

Oh and maybe the Indians and Chinese are irresponsible too for wanting their citizens to have electricity in their homes and not live in huts?

India and China Coal Production Surging By 700M Tons Per Year: That’s Greater Than All U.S. Coal Output

You can keep those rolling blackouts in Cali.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:03 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
If they only have EVs, what do they plan on eating? Combines run 24/7 to harvest grain every year. It would be impossible to do a harvest with EVs.
I am waiting to see how the landscapers in Calif. cut grass all day without gas lawn mowers. I know, they can't.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
well, he swore to kill our fossil fuels industry. he's doing his best to keep that promise.

Federal Oil Leases Slow to a Trickle Under Biden
Because the oil companies don't want new leases. They have a stock pile

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The oil industry is currently sitting on 9.9 million acres of idle leases in the West—47.4 percent of all leases in the region—that are available to drill even during the Biden administration's temporary leasing pause

Old 09-07-2022, 07:32 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Climate change.
I have always wondered how this planet has went through ice ages and droughts, entire continents have changed and moved, oceans disappeared and were created and somehow, in the last 50 years we seem to be destroying the planet.

Thank God we all know money and control has nothing to with this huh?

Old 09-08-2022, 12:05 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If only everybody could be perfect like you. You are quite aggressive in your posts maybe now that you have the perfect eco-life you could get some anger management counseling to balance you out.
Never said I was perfect, just expressing the things I do to make positive impacts regardless of size. Not once have the people attacking me in this thread mentioned what they're doing to improve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Like that's going to make a difference when the other +7 billion people around the world need cheap reliable energy to survive. Maybe you should be paying attention to what a couple bucks increase per gallon of gas has done to the economy here or even worse in Europe. Face it fossil fuels will be burned whether you like it or not
"Whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout"

Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
No one is saying we can't be energy efficient but you live in a fantasy land if you think fossil fuels won't be major part of our energy mix for the foreseeable future.

Oh and maybe the Indians and Chinese are irresponsible too for wanting their citizens to have electricity in their homes and not live in huts?

India and China Coal Production Surging By 700M Tons Per Year: That’s Greater Than All U.S. Coal Output

You can keep those rolling blackouts in Cali.
Direct me to the post where I said fossil fuels wouldn't be a major part of our energy mix for the foreseeable future. Spoiler alert: you can't, because I never said that, because everyone already knows that fossil fuels aren't going away before 2050.

Haven't experienced any rolling blackouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I have always wondered how this planet has went through ice ages and droughts, entire continents have changed and moved, oceans disappeared and were created and somehow, in the last 50 years we seem to be destroying the planet.

Thank God we all know money and control has nothing to with this huh?
The path from Industrial Revolution to where we are now is insanely easy to see and map out. The money and control are baked into the system we call American capitalism and there is no escape.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:13 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because the oil companies don't want new leases. They have a stock pile

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The oil industry is currently sitting on 9.9 million acres of idle leases in the West—47.4 percent of all leases in the region—that are available to drill even during the Biden administration's temporary leasing pause
You utter talking points.

Reality is here.

Why aren’t oil companies drilling on their 9,000 land leases?

Back in March, as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was sending the price of oil sky-high, President Joe Biden noted that the oil and natural gas industry has 9,000 permits to drill that it isn’t using. In other words, 9,000 chances to increase the supply of oil and gas — and drive down prices.

To be clear, Biden wasn’t wrong about that number, but citing it as evidence that energy companies are sitting on their hands to keep prices high needs a bit more context. So, I took a trip out to ground zero for domestic oil and gas production — Texas’ Permian Basin — to hopefully bring some back.

So the reporter was taken to a 6,000+ private acre oilfield.

This is all private land, which is where 90% of the oil produced in the U.S. comes from. Private property is also where almost all of the oil in this part of Texas comes from. Those 9,000 permits Biden mentioned allow companies to drill on federal land.

I did not know the number was 90% of oil is produced on private land.

I can't post the whole thing, but here's part of the process.

Before they could start drilling, they had to negotiate with the folks who own the land. They aren’t necessarily the same people who own the mineral rights.

First, drillers have to build roads to get the crews and equipment out there. Even then, he said, getting oil out of the ground takes time. And wells that have been drilled need to be maintained.

It’s a slow process. Cohorn said subcontractors are so busy, they can only make it to wells like this every so often. ... Labor is in such short supply in the region that stories like this are common, Cohorn said.

He said not only is labor in short supply, but steel pipe and other equipment are on back order for months. The sand and water necessary for fracking are hard to come by too. And any company that wanted to start drilling on those 9,000 federal leases would face the same problems.

So I get the impression that the oil companies would love to get the leases and drill, but the environment is such that they can't get the work done because of labor shortages and supply chain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies