Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 09:04 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I never understand street racers. There are businesses that cater to your hobbies. I went to one of these once. Its extremely fun. The top speed is not as fast, but its not about the top speed. It is how close you are to the turns, and the other drivers. It makes everything feel very fast. And you will often crash into the other drivers, but its done safely. I am sure there is one in the Chicagoland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3q5dTF-aY
It's not even remotely the same. Suffice to say that if you've never drag raced or road raced (both legal track competitions) you wouldn't understand. Slick track carting may be fun but it doesn't provide the fix of real automotive racing. Not your fault you don't know this but take my word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 12:20 PM

711 posts, read 932,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
She comes from Florida, where there is law and order, even when the sun goes down. They aren't used to spontaneous drag races, so she probably thought nothing of it as she was crossing the street in Chicago.

You're right. It also happens in Los Angeles, and other major cities of California. Probably some other parts of the country that have been laid waste to by the far left.
Well, you must be joking about Florida "law and order". Drag racing and vehicular lawlessness is alive and well in Florida. It is in the top ten nationally in traffic fatalities and pedestrians struck by motor vehicles.

Those living in Hillsborough county only need to have a few conversations with the county police concerning illegal motor vehicle incidents to fully understand why this conduct continues.
You will get half truths, evasive language, and bald faced lies concerning this subject. There is growing citizen concern and petitions have been discussed. Even grocery shopping has become hazardous with vehicles speeding in parking lots while shoppers are doing their business.

Traffic stops around the Riverview / Sun City Center area are very rare, especially for speeding and trucks in particular. Many are very aware of this fact, they take advantage of it every time they drive.
Obscuring of vision by extreme window tint and "back to the fifties" hollywood mufflers laws are not enforced. Exhaust "solution" shops flourish by pick-up truck owners removing original equipment mufflers for noisy ones that can be heard 1/4 mile away.

It is obvious that nonenforcement is the police choice in the above. Perhaps it has to do with the culture and mentality of the "serve and protect" and some of areas residents.

I however beg to differ. Motor vehicle death and injury far exceeds major crime frequency and financial consequences. Also illegal and rude conduct on public roadways spills over into other facets of our quality of life.
I cringe when I read posts that pass speeding off as acceptable. Braking--metalurgical and collision impact stats. prove speed to be a factor in many vehicle accidents and injuries.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:53 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2 cars racing, other one sped off.

The guy that hit the woman got some initial charges, name not released but they are investigating further.

No doubt they're pulling surveillance footage which will lead to more serious charges which I understand takes time to do.

They're still looking for other driver.
The guy that hit the lady claims the guy in the other car was trying to carjack him. I don't buy it, but that's up to investigators to sort it out.

I'm not a huge fan of Lightfoot either, but all of the criticism about "The Dems" letting this stuff happen is nonsense. They have aggressively been pursuing remedies (Stiff fines, impoundment of vehicles) and devoting police resources to try and crack down on these drag races etc.
So why are the usual hacks on here trying to say that the city is "doing nothing"?
These idiot drivers have the tools (social media etc) to rapidly organize and change locations to elude police efforts. What sane proposals to people have to address this problem besides vapid finger pointing?

I've seen multiple posters (Not you, Mathguy) asking how defunding the police has worked out for Chicago, which is utter nonsense, since the police budget has gone up the last couple of years, not down.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
It's not even remotely the same. Suffice to say that if you've never drag raced or road raced (both legal track competitions) you wouldn't understand. Slick track carting may be fun but it doesn't provide the fix of real automotive racing. Not your fault you don't know this but take my word.
Too bad, no one cares. Society shouldn't have to deal with the negative impacts of your hobby. There are drag strips in my area that people can sign up for to get their fix. No excuse to do this on the streets and put other peoples lives at risk. The poster just provided an example of what they could do instead. They can go to their local racetrack too, just stay off the roads with that crap.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:43 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Why was she crossing the road during a drag race.
This happened on a public street. I don't know of any place in the US where drag racing on public streets is legal.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
This looks like a blast! I need to find one of these places!
Its is fun, but I must warn you there is some chance for whiplash, as collisions are likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Official drag racing is retarded. You on the lane, and just hit it as hard as you can, and then you stop.

Yeh, its not like street racing because there is no chance you will have accident and kill someone. Its definitely not as exciting. Its like playing russian roulette and comparing to paintball. I get that.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
It's tragic. Here in the burbs in South Carolina my friends were complaining of people doing donuts and screaching down their streets.

It' seems to be getting worse.

More populated areas, more dangerous roads puts innocent at risk for some joy ride.

VEry sad.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:25 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
This happened on a public street. I don't know of any place in the US where drag racing on public streets is legal.
I know, and to the dozen+ who also responded, this was sarcasm.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:22 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
The guy that hit the lady claims the guy in the other car was trying to carjack him. I don't buy it, but that's up to investigators to sort it out.

I'm not a huge fan of Lightfoot either, but all of the criticism about "The Dems" letting this stuff happen is nonsense. They have aggressively been pursuing remedies (Stiff fines, impoundment of vehicles) and devoting police resources to try and crack down on these drag races etc.
So why are the usual hacks on here trying to say that the city is "doing nothing"?
These idiot drivers have the tools (social media etc) to rapidly organize and change locations to elude police efforts. What sane proposals to people have to address this problem besides vapid finger pointing?

I've seen multiple posters (Not you, Mathguy) asking how defunding the police has worked out for Chicago, which is utter nonsense, since the police budget has gone up the last couple of years, not down.
There are lots of factors at work. They didn't defund but there is bail reform and soft prosecution and while Cook County isn't all Chicago....Kim Fox is in office due to Chicago voters.

Lastly, there is pressure not to have more police shootings and also the officers don't want to stick their necks out so the police are not being as vigorous in certain areas.

So, as always it's a complicated issue.

That being said Lightfoot blames guns for the increase in shootings. Blames social media for street takeovers. Blames the rest of the state for Bail reform, prosecutors and guns. Blames 99% of criticism of her as being because she's a black woman lesbian.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:55 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are lots of factors at work. They didn't defund but there is bail reform and soft prosecution and while Cook County isn't all Chicago....Kim Fox is in office due to Chicago voters.

Lastly, there is pressure not to have more police shootings and also the officers don't want to stick their necks out so the police are not being as vigorous in certain areas.

So, as always it's a complicated issue.

That being said Lightfoot blames guns for the increase in shootings. Blames social media for street takeovers. Blames the rest of the state for Bail reform, prosecutors and guns. Blames 99% of criticism of her as being because she's a black woman lesbian.
Like I said, no fan of Lightfoot, and I agree, its a complicated issue. Social media is a huge problem because it enables these ad hoc gatherings to stay two steps ahead of the police at all times (although ironically some of the social media posts are being used to identify and go after offender's vehicles)
I don't see a reasonable solution on the social media problem that wouldn't trample on the 1a (and is beyond the reach/scope of Lightfoot and the City of Chicago anyways)
So their choice to make it a more punitive situation for those that do get caught (impound/confiscate vehicle, big fines, etc) seems like a good start, but is unlikely to deter the mob mentality that permeates that drift/drag race culture very much.
I wish the cops would crack down on all of these dirt bikes and quads that are clearly not street legal as well.

Also, you mention that there is pressure not to have more police shootings. Well, don't the Chicago Police bear some responsibility for that? They brought a lot of negative scrutiny and cries for reform on themselves with their own conduct. Look at cases like Laquan McDonald. The city was paying billions in settlements for bad shootings so reform needed to happen. Of course, now the pendulum has swung too far the other way and they don't want to stick their necks out.
Meanwhile, the people who want accountability for police and for criminals are villified by the left and the right because apparently its unreasonable to want both.

Kim Foxx sucks, but I see her get criticized for making decisions that any other prosecutor would make, so she is in a no-win situation sometimes herself.

ETA: I have friends on the Chicago PD, so I'm not one of those ACAB idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies