Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 12:14 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

You know that the culture war in our country is lost when the state's human rights commission opinionates that Alaska Airlines' dress code likely violates state law.

Pure madness.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/washingto...205832226.html

Quote:
An Alaska Airlines policy that requires flight attendants to wear either “masculine” or “feminine” uniforms is likely discriminatory, the Human Rights Commission of Washington state, where the airline is headquartered, said Monday.

According to the commission, Alaska Airlines had forced employees, including Justin Wetherell, a nonbinary flight attendant, that identify as neither male nor female to fit into a “binary uniform system,” likely violating a Washington state law that prohibits discrimination based on gender identity, appearance, behavior or expression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 12:41 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
....likely violating a Washington state law that prohibits discrimination based on gender identity, appearance, behavior or expression.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/washingto...205832226.html
Make stupid laws, win stupid prizes.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:45 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Make stupid laws, win stupid prizes.
AlaskaAirlines didn't make that law - and the people of Washington State probably think this is a victory

I also don't get how it violates their law. He's forced to choose from 'masculine' or 'feminine' uniforms, this is not discriminating against his gender identity, he has a choice. Even if they picked a uniform for him, how is that discriminatory? Is now not allowing your employee to dress how they want on the job discriminatory?

We're in a death spiral.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:45 AM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
One of the biggest/most harmful lies that has been sold to far too many people in the past few decades , is the idea that discrimination as such is inherently unjust .

When the truth is that there are both just and unjust forms of discrimination , with just forms of discrimination being very necessary for the maintenance of basic standards during the hiring process at places of employment for instance .

As others have already written , the plot has been truly lost when government agencies claim that it's a human rights violation for a company to establish a certain type of dress code of all things .

Old 09-14-2022, 03:53 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
FFS, not every moment in your life is all about your personal expression. This "gender" nonsense is literally the most narcissistic cultural movement ever to take root. Quit being a self-absorbed brat, act like a grown-up and a professional, put your god damn work uniform on, and effing go to work.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:02 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Lol

Old 09-14-2022, 05:10 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Alaska Airlines had forced employees, including Justin Wetherell, a nonbinary flight attendant, that identify as neither male nor female to fit into a “binary uniform system,”
what complete nonsense

Old 09-14-2022, 05:17 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Amazing how many rules there are for Airlines when I don't think anyone I know has ever cared what they are wearing. They could all wear a Polo and pants at this point and would still be better dressed than most of the people on the flight.

After having my body searched, shoes removed, and sandwiched in an ever-shrinking seat on the plane while kids cry during onboarding, the last thing I care about is whether an airline employee has nail polish on or is using the "right" gender kit.

This is just more stupid corporate policy crap that does nothing to address the issues people complain about on planes, like those ever-shrinking seats and space between rows.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:20 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
they should just have spandex body suits as uniforms so everyone can tell immediately what binary you are

Old 09-14-2022, 05:22 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Amazing how many rules there are for Airlines when I don't think anyone I know has ever cared what they are wearing. They could all wear a Polo and pants at this point and would still be better dressed than most of the people on the flight.

After having my body searched, shoes removed, and sandwiched in an ever-shrinking seat on the plane while kids cry during onboarding, the last thing I care about is whether an airline employee has nail polish on or is using the "right" gender kit.

This is just more stupid corporate policy crap that does nothing to address the issues people complain about on planes, like those ever-shrinking seats and space between rows.
They should drop the pretense of being private and consolidate as “Government Airlines”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies