Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2022, 12:33 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Keep in mind that the assembling of world leaders creates a great deal of vulnerability.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 12:36 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It will be interesting to see if notorious Brit-hating President GirlSniffer shows up or sends some flunky emissary on behalf of the US like Obama did for Thatcher's funeral.
Personally, I'd prefer Biden to stay far away from the funeral, and thus avoid further embarrassing our country with his buffoonery. But on the other hand, it would be a massive slap in the face if the President of the United States refrained from attending the funeral of the much-loved Queen of our closest ally. So, because of that, I think he should attend. And keep his trap shut while he's there.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:37 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
I was hoping for the best until a video feed of the gates briefly showed a trailer of horses arriving at Balmoral, perhaps to pull a funeral caisson. Another shot caught people positioned near the monarch's flags, likely to lower them when the announcement was made. My heart sank at that point. We'll likely never know what led to her death, but I'm guessing that she had a stroke sometime overnight.

Last edited by kj1065; 09-08-2022 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2022, 12:37 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Margaret Thatchers funeral was ceremonial, this is a full state funeral and there have only been two since WW2, the first was King George VI in 1952, the Queen Elizabeth II father and the second was that of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965.

Biden can please himself, as none of this is about him, so I would suggest he doesn't make this political in any way.
Ceremonial or not, Obama was invited and he replied with a snub. One of the most important allies in ending the Cold War deserved better from us.

Quote:
I was hoping for the best until a video feed of the gates briefly showed a trailer of horses arriving at Balmoral, perhaps to pull a funeral caisson. Another shot caught to people positioned near the monarch's flags. My heart sank at that point. We'll likely never know what led to her death, but I'm guessing that she had a stroke sometime overnight.
If I had to guess her most proximate cause of death, I'd go with "being 96 years old."

Old 09-08-2022, 12:38 PM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
I like what former PM Tony Blair said:

"We lost the matriarch of our country".

2/3 of the UK only knew Elizabeth as their Queen.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Ceremonial or not, Obama was invited and he replied with a snub. One of the most important allies in ending the Cold War deserved better from us.

If I had to guess her most proximate cause of death, I'd go with "being 96 years old."
The Narcissist in Chief was, and still is, a small, petty, divisive man who was completely unworthy of the office he held. His refusal to attend Lady Thatcher's funeral was just one of many examples of this. We shall see if Biden will be the bigger person or not.

Incidentally, didn't Obama "grace" Her Majesty with an iPod loaded with his speeches, or something narcissistic like that? I wonder if she ever bothered listening to them. If she did, we know that she was far too gracious to say what she probably thought of them, or of the man who gave them.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I like what former PM Tony Blair said:

"We lost the matriarch of our country".

2/3 of the UK only knew Elizabeth as their Queen.
More than that. People who were alive when she ascended the throne, but were under the age of maybe 8 or so, probably don't remember her predecessor, even though they were alive at the time. I don't know the age distribution of the UK's population, but I'd be surprised if more than maybe 10 percent of the people remember having a ruler other than Elizabeth.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:44 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Personally, I'd prefer Biden to stay far away from the funeral, and thus avoid further embarrassing our country with his buffoonery. But on the other hand, it would be a massive slap in the face if the President of the United States refrained from attending the funeral of the much-loved Queen of our closest ally. So, because of that, I think he should attend. And keep his trap shut while he's there.
The president released a dignified and gracious statement a few moments ago. You can read it [URL="https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/09/08/statement-of-president-joe-biden-and-first-lady-jill-biden-on-the-death-of-queen-elizabeth-ii/"]here[/URL].

An exceprt...

Quote:
In a world of constant change, she was a steadying presence and a source of comfort and pride for generations of Britons, including many who have never known their country without her. An enduring admiration for Queen Elizabeth II united people across the Commonwealth. The seven decades of her history-making reign bore witness to an age of unprecedented human advancement and the forward march of human dignity.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:46 PM

17,346 posts, read 14,606,875 times
It looks like Harry didn't make it to Balmoral and they announced her death before he arrived.

Diana would be livid at him.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The president released a dignified and gracious statement a few moments ago. You can read it here.

An exceprt...
Credit where credit is due. That was a nice statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies