Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The House of Lords was significantly reformed in 1999, and the number of hereditary members was reduced to 92. The House of Commons could vote tomorrow to eliminate the monarchy, and there would be little that could be done to stop it.
All legislation must be signed off by the Monarch.

It's also worth noting that the Armed Forces swear allegiance to the Monarch and have no such allegiance in relation to Parliament, and there would be significant problems for Parliament in such circumstances, and there would also be political and religious problems.

The Queen was Head of State, Defender of the Faith, Head of the Churches including the Church of England, with it's links to Christianity world wide, is Head of the Commonwealth, Commander and Chief of the British Armed Forces and many Commonwealth Armed Forces, is Head of numerous charities and carried out her duties loyally right up to the end.

I can only hope that some Americans pause and reflect before attacking the monarchy or trying to lecture us on our history, traditions, constitution and governance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 11:05 AM

10,871 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I can only hope that some Americans pause and reflect before attacking the monarchy or trying to lecture us on our history, traditions, constitution and governance.

im sorry, but OH! thats rich! lol

Old 09-11-2022, 11:09 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
im sorry, but OH! thats rich! lol
I think that's a perfectly reasonable request. We've been independent for nearly 250 years. Why is it any of our business whether or not the UK retains its monarch?

Last edited by kj1065; 09-11-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 12:31 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
The Royals should be viewed as the PR department for the UK. They are the face of the UK. They're PR execs. The government does what it wants. But that's why the government wants a squeaky clean image.

But they also can use them as a diversion. While everybody is gossiping about the Royal family the government gets to implement a lot of policy that goes unchallenged because the Queen, prince etc took all the headlines.

Yeh she's a queen but a person thrust into a job/position most couldn't handle. The Royals are The Real House Wives or Kardashians except with better fixers.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I think that's perfectly reasonable request. We've been independent for nearly 250 years. Why is it any of our business whether or not the UK retains its monarch?
its not. its the whole 'dont comment about us....'

as I said a number of times, I dont worship humans, royal or not so the funny clothes hats and uniforms mean exactly nothing to me.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:38 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:

as I said a number of times, I dont worship humans, royal or not so the funny clothes hats and uniforms mean exactly nothing to me.
So why comment if it means nothing to you? Asking sincerely.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:40 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
All legislation must be signed off by the Monarch.

It's also worth noting that the Armed Forces swear allegiance to the Monarch and have no such allegiance in relation to Parliament, and there would be significant problems for Parliament in such circumstances, and there would also be political and religious problems.

The Queen was Head of State, Defender of the Faith, Head of the Churches including the Church of England, with it's links to Christianity world wide, is Head of the Commonwealth, Commander and Chief of the British Armed Forces and many Commonwealth Armed Forces, is Head of numerous charities and carried out her duties loyally right up to the end.

Well the monarch needs to take some responsibility for history, it's not all glory.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:49 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
It's ironic that some (no, not all) people would have been thrilled to install TFG as 'ruler' of the U.S. for the rest of his life.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
So why comment if it means nothing to you? Asking sincerely.

cuz the largest story in the US at the moment, even after we threw off the yoke with guns and bombs and harsh language is....THIS?

any chance you actually read what I wrote?

Old 09-11-2022, 08:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:

So that's why AMERICANS repetitively start all these threads about other countries whereupon they quickly morph into Americans denigrating those countries - - because those countries mean nothing to y'all???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies