Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 08:45 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
BBC news have a protocol. They've been following it this morning. Newsreaders with black tie and suit, the rest of the programming has been suspended. Official announcement is incoming, I have no doubt.
I'm aware of that. I've been watching the BBC's coverage this morning. Still, stranger things have happened. Some people believe she's already passed, and I suppose it's possible, but I don't personally believe it's the case. I will be saddened by her death. My husband was born overseas and spent his childhood in England. He has a soft spot for Queen Elizabeth, and I do, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 08:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
NOBODY thinks Charles would make a good king. His mum has held onto the crown because unlike most of her progeny, she's well-liked by the public. So the longer she holds onto the crown, the longer the monarchy continues as a going concern. At this rate I won't be surprised to see it abolished in my lifetime.
I agree. I have much admiration for Queen Elizabeth. Charles...not so much. And Camille not at all. It will be a sad day for England when Charles ascends to the throne, IMO.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:47 AM

491 posts, read 394,679 times
I will not celebrate her passing. Whenever it may happen. But the news coverage will be absolutely non-stop when she does. It will be insane the amount of press coverage we'll see in the US alone. I won't be watching.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
NOBODY thinks Charles would make a good king. His mum has held onto the crown because unlike most of her progeny, she's well-liked by the public. So the longer she holds onto the crown, the longer the monarchy continues as a going concern. At this rate I won't be surprised to see it abolished in my lifetime.
She has not "held onto the crown" because she's well liked. It's how the monarchy works. She will be queen until her death, and then Charles' reign will begin.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:49 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,637,091 times
I have on BBC right now.

It's interesting to watch basically local coverage. They are referring to all the Royals by their titles instead of their first names as US coverage is.

As an American I don't know who they're talking about.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
She has not "held onto the crown" because she's well liked. It's how the monarchy works. She will be queen until her death, and then Charles' reign will begin.
Prince Charles is only going to have a brief reign as King, as he's 74 years old in November.

The Crown then passes to William and Kate, and then to his son George, if George has children then it asses to them, if not, then it passes to Charlotte and her children, and after that Louis is in line.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am pleased your Grandfather bounced back and hopefully the Queen will also bounce back.

There has never been a full state funeral in Britain since Churchill in 1965.

They are extremely sad occasions, with a period of national mourning, lying in state and then the actual funeral when a Gun carriage is hauled slowly by sailors of the Royal Navy through the streets of London, accompanied by grim faced soldiers of the Household Division.

Princess Diana's funeral was very sad, and especially because she was still quite young and given the circumstances of her death, however it was not a full state funeral.

The Queen has been a wonderful monarch and I can only hope and pray that she pulls through, and lives a few more years.
I'm glad he recovered, too. I hope the same for Queen Elizabeth. The signs are so ominous, though. It will be a sad time for the Commonwealth.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Monarchy also works by abdicating to the next in line when you're too old to do much of anything.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:01 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Monarchy also works by abdicating to the next in line when you're too old to do much of anything.
Does it? Edward VIII abdicated because he wanted to marry an American divorcee. Not many more abdications come to mind in the British monarchy.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I have on BBC right now.

It's interesting to watch basically local coverage. They are referring to all the Royals by their titles instead of their first names as US coverage is.

As an American I don't know who they're talking about.
Here's a quick primer...

Charles, HRH the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay (as he is known in Scotland)
Camilla, HRH the Duchess of Cornwall

Anne, HRH the Princess Royal

Andrew, Duke of York

Edward, HRH the Earl of Wessex
Sophie, HRH, the Countess of Wessex

William, HRH the Duke of Cambridge
Catherine, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

Henry (aka Harry), Duke of Sussex
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex

Working royal cousins...
Prince Edward, HRH the Duke of Kent
Prince Richard, HRH the Duke of Gloucester
(These two walked with the rest of the male royals in Prince Philip's funeral procession.)

Last edited by kj1065; 09-08-2022 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies