Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 10:19 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Prince Charles has known, for decades, two things. One, he would someday be king. And two, the great majority of his subjects do not want him to be king. I have no idea what he'll do, but I've thought it would be neat if he went ahead and did the big huge coronation thing and got to enjoy being king, the thing that he's been waiting for for his entire life. Be king for a month or so, and then abdicate. He would have the satisfaction of knowing that he had been the King of England, and he'd also have the satisfaction of knowing that his final official act was one that was greatly popular with his countrymen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 10:21 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Here's a quick primer...

Charles, HRH the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay (as he is known in Scotland)
Camilla, HRH the Duchess of Cornwall

Anne, HRH the Princess Royal

Andrew, Duke of York

Edward, HRH the Earl of Wessex
Sophie, HRH, the Countess of Wessex

William, HRH the Duke of Cambridge
Catherine, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

Henry (aka Harry), Duke of Sussex
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex

Working royal cousins...
Prince Edward, HRH the Duke of Kent
Prince Richard, HRH the Duke of Gloucester
(These two walked with the rest of the male royals in Prince Philip's funeral procession.)
I tend to think that monarchies are well past their prime as a governing institution, but I sure do love the pomp and circumstance and royal titles and salutations that go along with them.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:27 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Prince Charles has known, for decades, two things. One, he would someday be king. And two, the great majority of his subjects do not want him to be king. I have no idea what he'll do, but I've thought it would be neat if he went ahead and did the big huge coronation thing and got to enjoy being king, the thing that he's been waiting for for his entire life. Be king for a month or so, and then abdicate. He would have the satisfaction of knowing that he had been the King of England, and he'd also have the satisfaction of knowing that his final official act was one that was greatly popular with his countrymen.
And I think that would be a terrible idea! Being monarch may bring great luxury, but it's a terrible fate. Elizabeth never wanted the role. Nobody wants the role. To push it off on William, who is still raising a young family, would be an awful thing to do.

Last edited by kj1065; 09-08-2022 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-08-2022, 10:36 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
And I think that would be a terrible idea! Being monarch may bring great luxury, but it's a terrible fate. Elizabeth never wanted the role. Nobody wants the role. To push it off on William, who is still raising a young family, would be an awful thing to do.

I agree Charles may well decide to be King until his Grandchildren have grown up, although he may give William and Kate a much greater role within the Royalty in order to prepare them to eventually take over.

Prince Charles will be 74 in November, and average life expectancy for males in England is 79.9 years years old, although modern Royals probably have a higher life expectancy. In 2019, life expectancy at birth in England had increased to 79.9 years for males and 83.6 years for female, which means at average of 81.2 years in relation to both sexes.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-08-2022 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 AM

23,552 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
No, it is not. The crown will pass to Prince Charles, and Camilla will be known as queen in accordance with Queen Elizabeth's wishes.
She would be 'queen consort'.

Quote:
Most queens rule over the monarchy as queen regnant, a prestigious title that carries with it a great deal of power separate from the king's (via The Guardian). The queen consort is essentially the same in title as a traditional queen but it does hold a slightly different social status because the queen consort lacks the sovereign right of power that traditionally gets passed down with the throne.
https://www.grunge.com/758739/what-d..._campaign=clip

Old 09-08-2022, 10:39 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
She would be 'queen consort'.

[URL]https://www.grunge.com/758739/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-queen-consort/?utm_campaign=clip[/URL]
Noted.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:39 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I just posted this under the Celebrities forum, but I am not sure if this could also be considered political news. Her children are at, or are on their way to, Balmoral, where she is under medical supervision.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-live-updates

I hope she recovers.
No I think she's on her way home. Tempting to be sad for her and family but really she has led a most amazing long life. Imagine the things she's seen and been through. There will never be another monarch like her. God bless the old girl.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:50 AM

327 posts, read 236,413 times
Even though I am American and have no desire to be ruled over by an entitled monarchy. I am still interested in watching how the systems works and very leisurely keep up with how its operating..

Kind of like watching an ant farm. They are fun to watch as long as they stay in the glass.

Elizabeth's life and reign has surely been an eventful one for sure!

Old 09-08-2022, 10:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I hope she pulls through but at 96 you never know, however it will be a very sad day for Britain and the world when she does pass away.

Queen Elizabeth is without doubt the greatest Monarch we have ever had, and most people in Britain have a lot of affection for her.

Prince Charles is 74 in November, so his reign as King, will ultimately be a short one, before passing the throne to Prince William.
I will be sorry for you and your countrymen's loss. Obviously I have a bias against monarchies as a form of govt but you guys have gotten past that stage. What I do kind of treasure about the British monarchy is that you have managed to hold onto a really strong connection to your history. In these times that's rare and I think a loss to countries when they so blithely give up their historical ties and traditions because they seem anachronistic in the modern world. All the more reason to hold on to some of them IMO. The fact that the public can see Kind Edward's coronation chair from the 13th freakin century in Westminster is amazing. Your history back to those distant times is alive and ticking in Queen Elizabeth. I stand foursquare behind you chaps holding onto your great history, good sir.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I am reminded that we went to war, not once, but twice...to never have to involve ourselves with those happenings ever again. And I am not cold and callous but the largest chunk of living history on the planet is with her. Still wont shed a tear...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Is this a given? I don't know much about the British monarchy, but I recall reading a while back that it was possible the crown would skip Charles and go right to William. Elizabeth sure held onto that crown to the bitter end, though. I wonder why? Did she think Charles would not make a good king?
Monarchs don't retire, they pass away. There is no "hanging on", it is the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If someone murders him or if he abdicates. With the longevity of the recent Royal Family, we'd probably have a King Charles for 20 years.
British monarchs don't have to use their Christian name when they become king or queen. The speculation has been that Charles would choose to be King George VII, after his grandfather, who was George VI and whose first name was Albert.

I do find the media ghoulish in Fox, CNN, MSNBC all talking about the Queen's health and each wanting to be first to "call her death", the way they compete to call an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies