Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 03:00 PM

11,504 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Years back when I was drinking my wife gave me an ultimatum. Stop drinking or she was leaving. I said I would go to AA and she told me she didn't care. Now, maybe I have genetic predisposition towards to the bottle or maybe I'm weak willed. Or maybe I'm simply f-ed up. Regardless of the reason either I stopped or she would walk.

I think this is what we're seeing today with regards to communities besieged crime and violence. By and large society doesn't want any more "explanations." Society wants it stopped.
But the politicians don't want it stopped and they are in power. They want us fearful, mistrustful, and divided. Easier to control us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 03:05 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
But the politicians don't want it stopped and they are in power. They want us fearful, mistrustful, and divided. Easier to control us.
I disagree. I say it's our politicians being so stupidly idealistic that they are too incompetent to see what's going on. And as for fearful, divided, and mistrustful, American society has always had this problem, from day one. All I have to do is look at all of the race riots that took place from the year 1800 to today. While there are plenty of politicians who have contributed to racial animosity, alot of it also comes from individuals themselves. We also need to look at the man in the mirror. Fear and distrust have been going on for decades. Some politicians are responsible for it. Some of it falls on US. Those two Black men who wanted to kill White people, they are likely this way because they got plenty of influence from family. They were likely taught to be this way from whoever raised them or whoever they associated with. They would have been this way regardless of whoever is in charge.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:18 PM

I thought about something. In 2011, I discovered this ugly website known as SBPDL (acronym for Stuff Black People Don't Like). Long story. I accidentally discovered it because I was looking for "stuff black people like" because there was a website I found called "stuff white people like" (I actually like alot of the stuff listed, such as sea salt, pea coats, and soccer). All that aside, the website SBPDL eventually got included into Unz Review. It's kept up by blogger Paul Kersey. The website's main objective is "Black people are bad and America is better off without them".

SBPDL advocated bringing back Jim Crow segregation. One particular blog entry advocated a police state that only targets Black people. I thought about this. Memphis is in the southern USA. It was one of those cities where Jim Crow was the law of the land. Given the kidnapping/murder of Eliza Fletcher, and the recent case of two Black men wanting to kill White people, SBPDL might be trying to push the "we need Jim Crow back" mantra further and further. Mind you, I'm only talking about that website. This is just something I thought of. When stuff like this happens, one thing I think about are how some people see this and think "we're better off without Black people". I start wondering about where this will leave me as a Black person. I can't control the underclass thugs who keep being violent. Some of them will likely kill me too.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Better locate those 2 before too much dust collects on their Nobel Peace prize.
Let me guess, dark humor.

All this aside, I can't find any humor in this situation.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:37 PM

13,750 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is MEMPHIS. Majority Black Memphis. Republicans will have to make inroads with Blacks in Memphis.

As a side note, for quite some time, we have individuals complaining about Black people voting Democrat. Now I hear "Forget about Blacks, they're a waste of time". I've always suspected many people view Black voters as an albatross. I've always felt some people view the Black vote in that manner. This sort of confirms it for me.
It's the Dem leadership you need worry about. The day this 90% AA vote is no longer cost-effective is the day said leadership turns on them.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It's the Dem leadership you need worry about. The day this 90% AA vote is no longer cost-effective is the day said leadership turns on them.
No different than what happened many years ago with the GOP. As soon as it was found African-Americans were no longer necessary for the GOP to win, some politicians turned on Black people.

It further confirms something I've suspected. When some people feel they don't need you, they turn against you. One reason I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. This is how I see both parties. Democrats take for granted they will get the Black vote. Some GOP politicians look at the Black vote as a waste of time. I wonder what would happen if 95% of the Black population put their vote behind a 3rd party candidate.

Based on what I've seen, this is one of the reasons why I tend to take issue with some people complaining about Black people voting Democrat. The way I see it, some people just see the Black vote as some albatross.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:23 PM

Memphis has a strong history when it comes to musical traditions. Blues, gospel, rock n roll, etc. Millions travel to Memphis to see Beale Street and Graceland. Millions also travel to Memphis for the barbecue. This also masks the surly side that Memphis has. Memphis has grappled with violent crime for decades. It has also grappled with racial tensions.

Memphis is also a city that has been trying to stem decline for decades. It has aggressively annexed parts of unincorporated Shelby County for decades. Why? Memphis needed to grow the population and get some property tax revenue. Memphis was losing population and the money was leaving too. Memphis has had at least 15 annexations since 1998 (Memphis lost over 30,000 people between 1980 and 1990). Memphis was annexing before that too. Memphis would have declined in population started after WWII if those annexations had not taken place (the population of Memphis in 1940 was 292,942. It increased to 396,000 in 1950). About 70-71 sq mi of land was annexed between 1944 and 1950. Many people were flocking to the suburbs. Annexation was literally the #1 way to keep the population of Memphis was taking a drastic drop.

Now, Memphis is de-annexing. It wants to cut down on its sprawl. South Cordova, Rocky Point, and Southwind-Wyndike are no longer part of Memphis. They have been returned to unincorporated Shelby County. People aren't just leaving the city of Memphis (Memphis lost nearly 17,000 people between 2000 and 2020, even with some areas being annexed). Memphis has lost even more with certain areas no longer part of Memphis. If more areas de-annex, Memphis could lose about 20 percent of its population quickly. Some of the de-annexation is due to the city of Memphis losing money providing services to certain areas.

Here are the links to back up what I'm talking about:
https://shelbycountytn.gov/DocumentC...history?bidId=
Memphis wants to shrink | Build a Better Burb
https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/lo...K7LJKHSV4XOHI/
https://www.actionnews5.com/story/37...de-annexation/

Without the 1970 annexations, Memphis would have a population of 450,000 instead of 633,000 it has today. People have been fleeing Memphis for decades. However, Memphis managed to find a way to keep its population flat. While most cities in the Sun Belt, Democratic or Republican, became magnets for relocation and jobs, Memphis barely grew. Nashville metropolitan area, same state, has over 2 million people. Memphis metropolitan area, however, bas about 1.3 million people. And the Memphis metro covers TN, AR, and MS. Nashville metro is literally one state.

Memphis proper is in bad shape. It might be a major hub for FedEx. It might have Beale Street and Graceland. However, it's got many issues that it can't just annex its way out of. It can't annex its way out of high violent crime rates, which it has struggled with for many decades. Those angry, hate-filled individuals we're talking about now, that's living proof Memphis can't annex its way out of it. Memphis is going to have to stop doing the same thing it's been doing over the last 60, 70, 80 years.

And it's not just Memphis losing population. West Tennessee as a whole is losing population. The only part of Tennessee losing population. The fastest growing county in the Memphis metro area is DeSoto County, in MISSISSIPPI. DeSoto (and Shelby County) are the only counties in the Memphis metro area that haven't lost any population.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:30 PM

13,750 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No different than what happened many years ago with the GOP. As soon as it was found African-Americans were no longer necessary for the GOP to win, some politicians turned on Black people.

It further confirms something I've suspected. When some people feel they don't need you, they turn against you. One reason I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. This is how I see both parties. Democrats take for granted they will get the Black vote. Some GOP politicians look at the Black vote as a waste of time. I wonder what would happen if 95% of the Black population put their vote behind a 3rd party candidate.

Based on what I've seen, this is one of the reasons why I tend to take issue with some people complaining about Black people voting Democrat. The way I see it, some people just see the Black vote as some albatross.

Yes, esp. so in politics.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, esp. so in politics.
Well, answer this for me. I am getting the feeling that my vote is going to be viewed as some kind of burden on the rest of society. Being an American, it's my right to vote. Why should I change the way I vote, if other people view my vote as something they don't want to deal with? What would be the point?

Old 09-10-2022, 06:13 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
thug busted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies