Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 10:03 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,143,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yes, esp. so in politics.
Here is the thing. Where do you think this is going to leave Black voters, if the Black vote is viewed as such an albatross?

I have to ask because based on what you're saying, the Black vote IS the problem. We're talking about Memphis at the moment. I am saying that if the GOP wants to get elected in Memphis, if a tough on crime candidate wants to get elected, it must make inroads with the Black population. It's just sheer numbers. Blacks are 64% of the city's population. There is no way around it. You are speaking of trying to find away around the Black vote.

You are saying that the Democrats depending on the 90% Black vote will soon not be cost-effective. According to you, the Black vote is the problem. This just confirms that some people really do have a problem with the Black vote. I figure, here is a novel idea. Why not get more Black middle class/upper middle class Blacks, to vote for someone other than the Democrats. Black Americans, and therefore, Black voters, are not going anywhere. Black American voters have to find somewhere to fit. The way I see it, for a Republican to get elected in Memphis, making inroads with the majority-Black population is a requirement.

On one hand, I've heard "the Democrats don't really like you, they just lie to you". And now I hear "Black voters are the problem".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 10:04 PM

21,395 posts, read 10,448,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No charges of a hate crime.

Shocking.
There really can’t be. It’s a terrorist threat and that’s a crime, but they never actually did any harm as far as I’m aware. If they would have killed a “white old lady” and there is video of him looking to kill her, then I supposed be could be charged with a hate crime.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There really can’t be. It’s a terrorist threat and that’s a crime, but they never actually did any harm as far as I’m aware. If they would have killed a “white old lady” and there is video of him looking to kill her, then I supposed be could be charged with a hate crime.
I do agree that said monster needs to be charged with a hate crime.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:12 PM

I'm not surprised said thug wasn't charged with a hate crime. At the same time, I don't think said person would have been charged with a hate crime in a conservative jurisdiction either.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Russian Thugs and Thugs here share the same mentality
Thug mentality is thug mentality and it should never be tolerated by anyone.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:54 PM

I went to the Memphis forum. No mention of this crime or any of the other Memphis-based crimes over there.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:34 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,201,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is the thing. Where do you think this is going to leave Black voters, if the Black vote is viewed as such an albatross?

I have to ask because based on what you're saying, the Black vote IS the problem. We're talking about Memphis at the moment. I am saying that if the GOP wants to get elected in Memphis, if a tough on crime candidate wants to get elected, it must make inroads with the Black population. It's just sheer numbers. Blacks are 64% of the city's population. There is no way around it. You are speaking of trying to find away around the Black vote.

You are saying that the Democrats depending on the 90% Black vote will soon not be cost-effective. According to you, the Black vote is the problem. This just confirms that some people really do have a problem with the Black vote. I figure, here is a novel idea. Why not get more Black middle class/upper middle class Blacks, to vote for someone other than the Democrats. Black Americans, and therefore, Black voters, are not going anywhere. Black American voters have to find somewhere to fit. The way I see it, for a Republican to get elected in Memphis, making inroads with the majority-Black population is a requirement.

On one hand, I've heard "the Democrats don't really like you, they just lie to you". And now I hear "Black voters are the problem".
Memphis had a republican DA before she just got voted out. The new DA is democrat.

Here’s the thing, when said posters mention that black people vote 90% democrat, they always view it as being a detriment to the black community. We know the inner city slums have more problems than who happens to be in office in a given city. Also since black people are a smaller proportion of the overall population, pooling their votes into one party isn’t necessarily a bad strategy.

It’s choosing a party that has a chance to win national elections, and black people overwhelmingly vote for a party that they feel advocates more of their interests. Back in the 90s it would’ve been unheard of to discuss how reparations would be handled in the country on a national party platform. That seems to be a success for the black community which a lot in the community support reparations. People seem to think sweeping changes are swift and quick, most of the time these changes in our political process are slow and incremental.

You can argue that black people can try splitting their vote to another party, but will the party have the numbers to enact meaningful change, or in the case of the republicans be receptive to garnering more of the black vote and start advocating for policies that many black people feel to be important. If the republicans wanted the black vote that bad, they have had time to start advocating for policies that a lot of black people support, but it seems that they double down on many things that don’t hold much importance within the black voter base and even cater to politicians and platforms that alienate a lot of black people.

Just wanted to add my two cents on this topic at hand.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:46 AM

These are just evil guys. Anyone who wants to hunt down innocent people and hurt them is evil, no less because said people just happen to be born with a certain skin tone.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:20 AM

13,312 posts, read 7,711,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Memphis had a republican DA before she just got voted out. The new DA is democrat.

Here’s the thing, when said posters mention that black people vote 90% democrat, they always view it as being a detriment to the black community. We know the inner city slums have more problems than who happens to be in office in a given city. Also since black people are a smaller proportion of the overall population, pooling their votes into one party isn’t necessarily a bad strategy.

It’s choosing a party that has a chance to win national elections, and black people overwhelmingly vote for a party that they feel advocates more of their interests. Back in the 90s it would’ve been unheard of to discuss how reparations would be handled in the country on a national party platform. That seems to be a success for the black community which a lot in the community support reparations. People seem to think sweeping changes are swift and quick, most of the time these changes in our political process are slow and incremental.

You can argue that black people can try splitting their vote to another party, but will the party have the numbers to enact meaningful change, or in the case of the republicans be receptive to garnering more of the black vote and start advocating for policies that many black people feel to be important. If the republicans wanted the black vote that bad, they have had time to start advocating for policies that a lot of black people support, but it seems that they double down on many things that don’t hold much importance within the black voter base and even cater to politicians and platforms that alienate a lot of black people.

Just wanted to add my two cents on this topic at hand.

As far as AA voting as a block for the Dem there have been positive results. There are major cities throughout the US that have been run by Dems for years.

However, if crime for example is out of control in a Dem run city and residents are fed-up they might consider voting for a change.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
As far as AA voting as a block for the Dem there have been positive results. There are major cities throughout the US that have been run by Dems for years.

However, if crime for example is out of control in a Dem run city and residents are fed-up they might consider voting for a change.
That is correct, although there have been tough on crime dems before. The change may not necessarily come from voting for the opposing party, but voting for someone within that party that has a tough on crime stance. I think many people oversimplify the problems that many of these cities have and that voting for a republican wont suddenly make these problems go away.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Memphis did have a republican DA that was just voted out, but there were still massive crime waves that happened under her tenure in office.

Here’s the thing, the democrat party is starting to split into factions. There are many democrats that are pushing back against the more progressive wing of the party. A lot of black people (especially the older black people) are more likely to vote for said faction that isn’t part of the progressive wing. This is the reason so many Bernie bros got upset at the black voter base in the southern states that helped secure Biden the democrat nomination.

Also, there are many conservative posters on here that criticize Biden for helping to create the 1994 crime bill, although I think their criticism of this is more of a political attack than any disagreement on the specific policy. People forget, but there were many in the black community that were on board with this bill and were asking for the government to do something about the rampant crime in their communities.

It’s not as simple as vote for democrats and you get rampant crime.

Last edited by ecko_complex24; 09-11-2022 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies