Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:01 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.K. but if someone is living in an area where crime is out of control this issue might be an overriding concern for them. Until voters decide to make a change there's little incentive for local government to do things any different. There are cities which have basically been run by one political party for years.

A good example is what we saw in one of the deepest of blues cities San Francisco - where 40% of the population is Asian.

Recently they've started flexing their political muscle:
https://www.city-journal.org/asian-v...-boudin-recall

And here with regards to the school board
https://www.axios.com/2022/02/16/san...sian-americans

Now this isn't to suggest SF will turn Rep. anytime soon. However, the Asian voting block demanded action... and action was taken.
I value safety. I also value freedom. I can't have a President violating my 4th Amendment rights. And Stop & Frisk has elements of violating the 4th Amendment.

I also think about this. San Francisco has a situation where Asian-Americans are being victimized by non-Asians, in particular, Blacks. Black Americans being less than 6% of SF's population, there's not going to be much of a political fight. Asians have the numbers to flex political muscle. And then I think about where the crackdown will take place. It's easy to crack down when a large portion of said crime comes a demographic that doesn't have the numbers to flex any political muscle. If the police decide to implement Giuliani-style policing, any outcry from Black Americans will fall on deaf ears. Why? NUMBERS. The Black population in the entirety of the Bay Area has been on the decline for years.

Memphis is a different matter. Memphis is not San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 07:11 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I value safety. I also value freedom. I can't have a President violating my 4th Amendment rights. And Stop & Frisk has elements of violating the 4th Amendment.

I also think about this. San Francisco has a situation where Asian-Americans are being victimized by non-Asians, in particular, Blacks. Black Americans being less than 6% of SF's population, there's not going to be much of a political fight. Asians have the numbers to flex political muscle. And then I think about where the crackdown will take place. It's easy to crack down when a large portion of said crime comes a demographic that doesn't have the numbers to flex any political muscle. If the police decide to implement Giuliani-style policing, any outcry from Black Americans will fall on deaf ears. Why? NUMBERS. The Black population in the entirety of the Bay Area has been on the decline for years.

True, but it's also irrelevant. If the residents of SF, Memphis or Mesa, Az (where I live) aren't happy with local government they can vote to make a change. The AA population in Memphis is just over 60%. They can vote anyway which best suits their community.

But if they continue to vote for the same leadership and/or polices.... they can't also continuously complain.

You get the government you vote for.

Last edited by john3232; 09-11-2022 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 08:01 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:

Numbers don’t matter. Minorities now have this force field around them.
Step out of line, do anything to penetrate that force field and your life as you knew it is over.
You WILL be cancelled.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Mentioning crime statistics by race may not get you banned, but it will definitely get your posts deleted.

Some people on CD have a habit of trying to hide the truth when it is unflattering to black people.

What good does that do?
Bringing up crime statistics by race is not the issue. It is the INTENT and CONTEXT in which you are doing it that makes a difference. I have an entire thread about Black murder rates. It's still there.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:49 AM

2,045 posts, read 785,940 times
Quote:
Bringing up crime statistics by race is not the issue. It is the INTENT and CONTEXT in which you are doing it that makes a difference. I have an entire thread about Black murder rates. It's still there.
In reality, black people shouldn't be worried about mythical 'white supremacy' or white cops. They should go with the odds.
Worrying about the return of Jim Crow because some idiot on the internet (who's probably trolling) said 'let's do it' is ridiculous. Makes me questions one's sanity.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
True, but it's also irrelevant. If the residents of SF, Memphis or Mesa, Az (where I live) aren't happy with local government they can vote to make a change. The AA population in Memphis is just over 60%. They can vote anyway which best suits their community.

But if they continue to vote for the same leadership and/or polices.... they can't also continuously complain.

You get the government you vote for.
Memphis' population can vote however it pleases. However, there is mention of Black people voting Democrat being a problem in terms of voting in "tough on crime" mayors. Well, in Memphis, it is Black people the
GOP will have to make inroads with.

Why do I bring this up? It was mentioned that the GOP should make inroads with the Hispanic population to counteract Blacks voting 90% Democrat. In short, treating the Black vote as the enemy. How would you expect Blacks to vote for someone if that particular person treats the Black vote as a problem?

Trying the "just forget about Black people " tactic could work in New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, basically any city with a large Non-Black minority population and a declining Black population. Memphis, on the other hand, that would not work.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
-White woman raped and murdered by black man.
-A black man goes on shooting spree targeting random white people.
-Now we have two black men threatening to kill white people.
(all in less than a week)

If you're white and you live in Memphis, do yourself a favor and get the hell out, for your own safety!
Memphis is a third world dump.
Interesting that you would say this. Memphis was 60% White in 1970. Over 50 years later, Memphis is 25% White. Alot of White people have been leaving since the 1970s. Actually, many started leaving after WWII. many White people with money can wall themselves off from the ghettos of Memphis.

There are some people in Memphis who do have anti-White (as well as anti-Non Black) hatred and some neighborhoods are quite unsafe. I also think about this. It's not safe for anyone at this point. The same individuals who threatened to kill White people, have no love for other Black people. Plenty of Black people are trying to leave Memphis as well. In fact, I've never heard any Black people tell me that they would want to live in Memphis.

Memphis has grown more unsafe for White people to live in. It has always been an unsafe place for Black people to live in.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:33 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Memphis' population can vote however it pleases. However, there is mention of Black people voting Democrat being a problem in terms of voting in "tough on crime" mayors. Well, in Memphis, it is Black people the GOP will have to make inroads with.

Why do I bring this up? It was mentioned that the GOP should make inroads with the Hispanic population to counteract Blacks voting 90% Democrat. In short, treating the Black vote as the enemy. How would you expect Blacks to vote for someone if that particular person treats the Black vote as a problem?

Trying the "just forget about Black people " tactic could work in New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, basically any city with a large Non-Black minority population and a declining Black population. Memphis, on the other hand, that would not work.

The AA population is over 60% in Memphis. They call the shots. If they are unhappy with local government and/or the insane crime rate they can vote for a change. The AA community easily has the numbers.

Want to stick with the Dems? Great but that's on the voters.

It was mentioned that the GOP should make inroads with the Hispanic population to counteract Blacks voting 90% Democrat. In short, treating the Black vote as the enemy. How would you expect Blacks to vote for someone if that particular person treats the Black vote as a problem?

Not should... but already are making inroads with the Hispanic vote. Why? Because what the GOP offers has become more attractive than the Dems side of the aisle.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Numbers don’t matter. Minorities now have this force field around them.
Step out of line, do anything to penetrate that force field and your life as you knew it is over.
You WILL be cancelled.
You missed my point completely. Numbers do matter in political power.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
The AA population is over 60% in Memphis. They call the shots. If they are unhappy with local government and/or the insane crime rate they can vote for a change. The AA community easily has the numbers.

Want to stick with the Dems? Great but that's on the voters.

It was mentioned that the GOP should make inroads with the Hispanic population to counteract Blacks voting 90% Democrat. In short, treating the Black vote as the enemy. How would you expect Blacks to vote for someone if that particular person treats the Black vote as a problem?

Not should... but already are making inroads with the Hispanic vote. Why? Because what the GOP offers has become more attractive than the Dems side of the aisle.
This is the thing though. When someone speaks of the Black vote as something to subvert, what kind of message is that going to send?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies