Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 06:28 AM

491 posts, read 382,072 times

Advertisements

For me it mainly depends on who will be the candidate in the WH come the next election. If we are stupid enough to return Trump then I certainly will not vote for him. Not saying I can vote for the left either. So it will either be an independent or for the first time since I turned 18 back in the 70's I will abstain from voting.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:30 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,784,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The funny thing is, we don't have moderates anymore. Technically, I am a moderate, but no one would believe me if I said that today. I supported both Bill Clinton and Al Gore for president, although I was in my teens at the time. I even supported Obama as I despised McCain and felt it was time for a minority president. I also believed FDR was our greatest president and I thought the Red Scare was a excessive. Most of this was due to being exposed to leftist ideas in the school/indoctrination system.

Sometime during Obama's 1st term, I did a complete 180. I would never support a democrat for the next decade. I think it was Obama joking about "shovel ready" jobs not being so shovel ready anymore that caused me to reevaluate what the democratic party is all about. As far as I am concerned, they have jump the shark about a year ago. I would be much happier if the DNC was replaced by a viable, non corrupted political party. I am by no means a fan of the GOP, especially after they let me down with the infighting while Trump was president. That political party is useless as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they are evil. Hence, I go with the lesser of two evils, without much enthusiasm.
"we don't have moderates anymore. Technically, I am a moderate"

You just contradicted your self. Which shows WHY you have voted the way you did.

Contrary to what some say, you CAN vote and support a person even if you do NOT agree with them 100% of the time.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:34 AM

58,448 posts, read 26,784,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
That was the least of his crimes. He told people to lie under oath in a case and bribed them with federal jobs. You liked the economy because the cold war ended and the U.S. saved lots of money and invested in the private sector. That isn't coming again.
The Park Police had NEVER investigated a murder BEFORE bills buddy committed "suicide", wink wink!

No other governor has had his ENTIRE state police security guards die in such a short time after he left office.

The man who ran the White House Travel dept for DECADES, through dems and repubs, was fired by HILLARY, NOT bill and replaced with a relative.

It's the accumulation of ALL of the things that happened under bill.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:38 AM

11,666 posts, read 7,803,101 times
Initially, I stayed out of politics. I did not vote when Obama was running because I didn’t like either contender and even as a black, I did not agree with electing Obama only because he was a ‘minority’. I wasn’t a fan of Bush either due to 9/11, the recession and war over Iraq.

In terms of my political values? I was moderate to slightly left leaning until fairly recently. I wasn’t a fan of Trump during his presidency at all but more and more I started to see the misleading information and press manipulation by the left and my opinion of the left changed drastically over the last few years, it also didn’t help that I live in a very progressive city and saw day to day as they over-prioritized minorities and homelessness at the expense of taxpayers public safety and prosperity with some of those politicians snagging up privately owned businesses and property after they could no longer operate as intended with a weakened customer base. Then the whole Biden fiasco and the condemning of anything and anyone who did not align with their agenda, even if it would hurt minorities (hint hint, these were the people who were most reluctant to become vaccinated) just reeked of hypocrisy. Overall their policies are cancer and will have much more devastating impact to this country.

Currently, while I don’t agree with everything Republicans do, I overall favor their policies more in the aspect that they prevent government overreach on a macro level until it comes to religious matters some would argue. I don’t know for sure if they cling to those values because they truly believe them or if they are just pandering for votes however. As far as immigration, I’m a mixed bag of opinions on that.

I am okay with immigration and not for anti-immigration policies that Trump seemed to allude to, however; I think the way illegal immigration is being handled by the left is disastrous. They’re treating people who have no legal birthright to this country or citizenship as citizens and giving them our benefits. That needs to end. I do think there should be more programs or opportunities for people to migrate to the U.S. who would not ordinarily be able to afford to do it… but if they get here and abuse the privilege then they immediately be deported as well.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-10-2022 at 06:49 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 06:51 AM

9,365 posts, read 4,211,230 times
My leanings haven't changed - I'm slightly left of center. What has changed is that the Democratic party has gone extreme left. The Republicans haven't moved much. I'm now much closer in ideology to the Republicans than to the Democrats.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:54 AM

19,586 posts, read 20,412,309 times
The left have driven me right.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:58 AM

11,897 posts, read 6,473,036 times
Folks — please read this essay. Especially if you are undecided about voting D or R.

It is written by not just a former democrat, but she was an ACTIVIST for Joe Biden. and the Dem party.
It wasn’t until she started listening to conservative media and opening her eyes to the horrors of what her party is doing to this country. She had to write this on substack to get it out.

She is a brave journalist — a hero,— and I suspect she will be doxed and censured shortly…..

Scroll to essay

https://sashastone.substack.com/p/ho...?sd=pf#details

Last edited by mountainrose; 09-10-2022 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 06:59 AM

5,438 posts, read 6,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This is a good topic. As an Independent I have leaned in the middle, unless I felt that people's civil rights were being violated. In other words, I am conservative on fiscal policy, pro gun laws etc. But I don't think it's my VOTE to tell a woman what to do with her body or to have to decide and vote on whether a same sex couple should be able to get married or not.

I want to believe that most Americans are leaning more moderate, and the extreme leaning left and right are in the minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am rather satisfied as a registered Libertarian.

Fiscally conservative, and Socially liberal.

The only part of their platform that I do not fully support is the idea of Open Borders.
I consider myself moderate/independent. Like the posters above I am more conservative (as I understand that term to mean) and more liberal on social issues. I am unaffiliated and can't see myself registering Libertarian but I sometimes try to summarize my views as "Libertarian lite."

As for the question of the thread, I think it is misworded. I haven't leaned any more in one direction. It is the major parties that are pulling further apart and becoming more extreme. So I think the question is, when seeing the path the country is taking, are you leaning more toward a particular party. For me, the widening divide has meant that I am re-evaluating my usual approach to voting which is to vote for the Republican or Democrat that I think is the better (or, sadly more likely, less objectionable) and will be doing much more third-party and write-in voting in the mid-terms. And unless something changes drastically, also in 2024.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 516,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am rather satisfied as a registered Libertarian.

Fiscally conservative, and Socially liberal.

The only part of their platform that I do not fully support is the idea of Open Borders.
then i guess you will be voting for the party that wants to close the boarders and that would be Republican. Libertarian party will NEVER get elected to a national office.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:23 AM

22,569 posts, read 24,365,374 times
Well, I am of the opinion that, at this point, I cannot trust one party to act
in a sane manner.

So, as much as I am not big fan of "the other party", at least
they are not totally mad........so I really have no choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies