Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:13 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
I'm all for private sector unions such as plumbers, electricians, painters, iron workers that can be subject to adverse work conditions and expectations. I am not in favor of public sector workers such as teachers and state government office workers, union only ensure mediocrity.

For example there are 2 union accountants working for state government, both doing the same job. There is absolute no motivation for accountant #1 to outperform accountant #2 because the union has locked in the wages at a set amount. There is zero motivation to excel and go above and beyond for union professional jobs, the citizens suffer the consequences.

There are enough labor acts such as FLSA that profession unions are not required.
I'm a retired firefighter of 38 1/2 yrs Union IAFF member, Baltimore City. I thank God every day for the union. You can only imagine the working conditions in Baltimore City. If you don't think unions are necessary for public sector employees, you don't know what you are talking about. All US cities are cesspool and citizens to match. And, the Democratic leadership is is nothing more than insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 07:00 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
And the goal will be that all trade unions must register under a National model with focus on taking on activities that enrich the USA militarily, educationally, industrially, with a plan for the future, not for the next half year to win the next election have we zero longterm strategic goals as a country?

The goal of a strong economy is to expand global marketshare , expand territory, control destiny of USA

With an end to radical class struggle , ending crt and blm, stopping the lavish waste fraud abuse and purging the Swamp of its corruption,

We can obtain the goal of fundamental execution

We need a USA that fundamentally executes its mission to serve the United States and not side track to things like appointing only a certain race and gender identity of …. We are going to see our nation gradually decline as like a superpower because we don’t have an objective anymore. We need keystone pipeline back, restore highest employment across all demographics, up our local manufacturing, work with small businesses to achieve national common goals, maintain military stronghold , accountability over who pays for NATO to be fair
I am a "right wing" republican, yet I support labor unions.

Without collective bargaining, US workers would have continued to be serfs and exploited by corporate entities. Unions brought about health insurance for workers, a 40 hour work week, and the ability for workers to retire.

Germany and Japan have Union enrollments of 25%, yet prosper. The root of our manufacturing issues is not Unions, it is very bad trade policies and lack of incentives to keep manufacturing in the US. True, some practices of Unions are detrimental, but overall provide a positive for a work force.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I think you misunderstand the purpose of unions. They are to promote the welfare and needs of the workers. Traditionally the unions have fought for better wages for the workers, health insurance for the workers and reasonable working hours and days off. They fight against big business's propensity to treat workers like just another resource.
All I see Union is enriching themselves. Just look at NJEA boss, made 1.2 millions a year as a public school Union. The NJ property tax is the highest in the nation and it keep going up every year but student is not getting better. Many of the bad districts are costing 30+k per student and still failing.

https://www.tapinto.net/sections/new...rges-clawbacks

Old 09-11-2022, 08:12 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Unions pay better and have better benefits. They pay their apprentices well while training them how to become master electricians, plumbers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies