Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 12:34 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You don’t have a water crises either. No reason for those living near those big lakes to even consider conservation of water..
We should all conserve water, even if we live next to a Great Lake. Even where water is abundant, it takes a lot of power and resources to treat it and pump it.

I've never watered my lawn or flower gardens. I let the rain wash my car. I take short showers, was only full loads of dishes and clothes, etc. It's not difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 12:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Nope, not doing a thing. Stop farming in the freaking desert and then we can talk. In 2023 you will not be allowed to refill your pools in AZ. But they will still flood a worthless swamp in mexico for migratory birds that don't even use it anymore.

We are increasing our irrigation and usage so that when mandatory reductions are forced on us while the Saudis are allowed to steal our water without limit, to grow alfalfa in the desert to feed their horses in arabia, we will still have our original allotment.

Yeah, just as soon as the corporations cut back I'll consider it.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:38 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Are you doing anything different to preserve water during the water crises?

Nothing we haven't been doing for the last 20+ years.

This is hardly our first "water crisis" in southern Calif in the last 30-odd years.

When asked, we took out our lawns, put in a low-water-usage garden, put in low-flow sprinklers that didn't spray freely into the air and didn't water the sidewalks and streets, etc. etc. And they have been in place ever since, for all that time.

Now the politicians appear again, telling us we have to cut water use for another 20% or whatever this month's number is.

Sorry, politicians. We've already cut back quite a lot. Don't know where you've been all that time. But cutting back more, can't be done here. We already cut back 20 years ago, and have kept cutting back ever since.

You'll have to find some other way to balance water demand with water supply. We're already doing our part. Telling us we're the ones who need to cut back, is a non-starter.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:39 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I’m in south Louisiana so no drought but I do what I can.
1. Never water lawn.
2. Top load HE washer
3. Wash vehicles at coil operated car wash no more than once a month
4. We don’t have a dishwasher. It’s just my wife and I so I hand wash dishes in sink. I start washing dishes before the sink is full. Once sink is full enough I move the spout to the other sink and reduce water flow for rinsing the dishes.
5. When we replace our shower nozzle, we’re getting one with a trickle switch for Navy showers. In a Navy shower you get the water to the desired temperature, wet down the hair and body, flip switch or press button to trickle setting, lather up, flip switch to turn off trickle and turn on shower nozzle, rinse off soap, turn off water. Avoid baths as they generally use more water than showers.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:02 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
How many of the reservoirs in the southwest are being intentionally lowered for effect?

Old 09-10-2022, 01:03 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Nothing.

I have my own well.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:14 PM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
The problem with Arizona is everybody throws crushed gravel in their yard and calls it a day, exasperating the UHI, and allowing UV light to heat the structure and enter the house through windows/roofs, which then require more energy to be produced to cool the structure, which is largely produced by boiling water into steam to push a turbine.

Hey SAN_Man, would you mind explaining what you mean by UHI, and why crushed gravel in their yard is bad? Serious question, I find this interesting. When I lived in San Antonio, I replaced a lot of my grass with crushed stone to reduce my water requirements, but I am definitely interested in hearing what you mean by this and why this isn't necessarily a good solution.

If you could, could you reply / quote me, that way I get an e-mail response?

Thank you!

Old 09-10-2022, 01:39 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
If one truly wants to learn how to conserve water, learn to use it like people who own a sailboat do.

Rinse your dishes in used grey water to get all the food off, or, conversely, just wipe it off with newspapers or flyers. Then spray them with a water/vinegar 50-50 mix to clean them. Rinse again with just water by spraying it on the dishes.

Only do a load of washing when needed, and always a full load. Don't water your lawn (I've not watered mine for decades). Showers? Get yourself wet, turn shower off. Soap down. Turn shower on, rinse off.

Use your grey water to water your vegetables and outside plants.

All of this is doable, and does not involve major expense or effort. Even without doing all of this, I got a letter from the Mayor in my last city of 75,000 people congratulating me for being in the least 100 households that used water.

And yes, I am big on condemning ag users of water like almond and avocado growers. Of course I like both, but if there were less on the market, it would not bother me in the least. They are some of the worst consumers of water, and not necessary for us to eat.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Here in the southwest we have been getting dire warning of the water drying up in lake mead which will force the government to probably put in place water restrictions.

I for one do not own a pool or a sprinkler system and use minimal amounts of water for essential use such as showering, cooking, etc.

These people with the huge houses with two or 3 pools fountains and sprinkler systems seem they are taking up a big portion of the water.

Would you do anything different such as instead of 3 showers take one or limit the use of the irrigation/sprinkler system?
Drill, baby, drill

drill a well, might have to go deeper than before, but there is water....

btw, as the sea-levels rise, earth has a natural filter to purify the water, just have to find that right level for that pocket of water

Old 09-10-2022, 02:55 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Millions of people moving to a desert area (including Southern California) and further into the urban/wildland interface and there are now water availability issues, not to mention greater impact of other occurrences like fires. Who could have predicted those things would happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies