Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 09:39 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Clearly you have no idea what constitutes an "essential service."

A bunch of rich people NEED to golf?

Right.
And clearly, you see yourself and your ilk as superior -- entitled to pass judgment on other peoples' personal mode of living.

As with the "global warming" hype, the water "crisis" is just another excuse to allow Big Brother into our homes and lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 09:41 AM

5,928 posts, read 2,757,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Little effort? It's a lot of work to xeriscape a yard properly. It's expensive, too, which is why a lot of homeowners aren't willing to do it.
Being a homeowner requires work and maintenance with expenses. Sorry to break the news to you.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:44 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
A dry warm winter forecast another severe summer water shortage here.
I would rather let my lawn burn up and give my water to a farmer than to keep it green when the drought is bad.

The lawn can be grown back, but I (and everyone) still needs to be fed, and all the water we have comes from the same places. Cities and farms share the sources.
So, doing my part, I didn't turn on my lawn sprinklers this spring. They were set to use the least amount of water needed years ago.

Nature gave us a break in late spring though, and dropped record levels of rain on us. That was good for my lawn, so I let it go. Unfortunately all the rain was followed by a history-making heat wave, so the rainy springs moisture was burned up by the heat anyway.

If the drought remains next summer, I may remove all the sod and replace the grass with something that's not going to need any irrigation.
Kentucky bluegrass makes a beautiful lawn, but it demands a lot of water. There has to be some alternative that will be as good that won't waste the water so much.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:45 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And clearly, you see yourself and your ilk as superior -- entitled to pass judgment on other peoples' personal mode of living.

As with the "global warming" hype, the water "crisis" is just another excuse to allow Big Brother into our homes and lives
With respect, when I lived on the east coast, I had no idea what drought looked like in the west and how rapidly it was becoming a serious problem. It took moving to Colorado to really get it.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:07 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
IDK, I've lived in godforsaken Maryland my whole life and don't recall any situations were entire towns were submerged up to the roofs of homes, nor are coastal homes considered to be expendable (like NC's Outer Banks). I'm talking extreme cases, like where the natural state of the environment/topography is inhabitable and requires extraordinary measures to sustain human occupancy. For example, NOLA requires levies to be inhabitable pretty much constantly. Same with the desert - unless water is piped in, its uninhabitable.
TS Isabel was one event that had large swathes of houses flooded to their rooflines. The homes along Delaware's coast have some extraordinary measures taken to preserve them and Ocean City pumped sand for a couple decades to stem beach erosion.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Anything different?

That's the way I always live, to conserve water.

I must admit, with as dry as it was during the Texas summer, watching the grasses grow like hotcakes after our rains is most fantastic.

Anyhow, I get a bitter laugh of those who suggest we use water was fuel, especially an automotive fuel, for only those who have never lived in an arid region would think that is a good idea.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:24 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most golf courses use their OWN ponds THEY BUILT.

"golf courses are not essential services."

Depends on your perspective!
And water just magically appears in those ponds? Besides, that is a fallacy. Most get their water from sources that compete with humans and agriculture. They should be the first to be cut off.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:27 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I'm supporting any politicians who will enforce the immigration laws of this country, thus removing millions of "water users" from within our borders.

And because piranha have been proven to "clean" the water they live in, I support putting thousands of them to work in the Rio Grande.
I am guessing there was never any prejudice in your family? Are you North American Indian? If not, you come from a line of illegal immigrants, just like most of us. Or slaves, who had no choiice.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:31 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am guessing there was never any prejudice in your family? Are you North American Indian? If not, you come from a line of illegal immigrants, just like most of us. Or slaves, who had no choiice.
How's the Yoga coming along?

Old 09-11-2022, 10:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Or that he has never had to deal with turkey fish or zebra mussels. That is, the placing of a non native species somewhere and having no conception of what a great disaster it could end up being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies