Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:44 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

I am 5' 7" 117lb. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation.. It's not about food control it is about portion control.

This said, I don't like much carbs or sweets. I started growing vegetable and fruits in my backyard, so everything is organic.

Working out is my passion. I swim two hours a day everyday. I dont think anybody have to be so extreme though, all you have to do is eating more healthy food, exercise maybe three times a week. Oral hygiene is important too. I notice a lot of fat people also have bad teeth. Maybe too much sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 08:25 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am 5' 7" 117lb. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation.. It's not about food control it is about portion control.

This said, I don't like much carbs or sweets. I started growing vegetable and fruits in my backyard, so everything is organic.

Working out is my passion. I swim two hours a day everyday. I dont think anybody have to be so extreme though, all you have to do is eating more healthy food, exercise maybe three times a week. Oral hygiene is important too. I notice a lot of fat people also have bad teeth. Maybe too much sugar.
I think you nailed it. Some people "naturally" like to to eat healthy and exercise, and good for them (you)! The problem is that many people are lazy and prefer unhealthy foods -- dammit! However, i do believe that genetics plays some part, too, as well as the kind of foods one grew up with.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed- weight control is not hard. There are MANY foods that are very low calorie that can reduce/maintain weight, even with consumption of large amounts.

I put on a good deal of weight after a couple of cancers due to medicines prescribed. I lost 50 lbs pretty easily just by eating salads with tomatoes, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and occasional grilled chicken with low calorie dressing. MUshrooms are NEGATIVE CALORIE foods. You can grill portabello mushrooms and eat them with soy sauce and pepper- tastes like meat. AVOID CARBS!!!!!

All the "diets" are gimmicks. It is EASY to cut weight without starving yourself. Just eat the right foods and the weight will fall off EASILY..

When you look at the diets of obese people, they eat tons of carbs, fried food, and few vegetables. Fast food is just garbage and will pack on the pounds.
All of this. I agree the diets are gimmicks. I just double up on fruits and vegetables. They are nature's antioxidants that help your body in so many other ways too. Currently I have so many homegrown tomatoes from just two plants I am eating them daily. Not enough to can them, but I am making salsa I can store for a while which is a healthy snack.

This advice is for "normal" people. There are a lot of people that suffer from "food addiction" and it's not talked about much. Obesity isn't the disease, but sometimes underlying mental illness is.

It's known in the medical community though. People that become obese enough to need gastric bypass surgery are now counseled for something called "transfer addiction". Once they can't overeat, they just transfer their addiction to something else.

I believe this. I have known 5 people who have had this surgery and 4 ended up with other addictions. 3 were to alcohol and one to gambling/compulsive spending.

https://bariatrictimes.com/transfer-...rgery-part-ii/

Old 09-11-2022, 10:43 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think you nailed it. Some people "naturally" like to to eat healthy and exercise, and good for them (you)! The problem is that many people are lazy and prefer unhealthy foods -- dammit! However, i do believe that genetics plays some part, too, as well as the kind of foods one grew up with.
Part of it is what you're used to.

If you eat/drink sugary foods, you slowly become accustomed to the sugary overload and then regular fruits etc begin to not have any taste and just don't satisfy you.

If you radically overhaul your diet by eliminating all sugary foods/drinks (this includes 100% natural fruit juices!) then your taste buds will adjust.

Now, if I drink a can of coke or eat processed food - it feels either too sweet, salty, or 'artificial' and I don't even like it. However, as a kid, I used to like these things.

When you eat whole foods, you will notice you will be full faster and have more energy throughout the day.

Most of the processed food you can buy is loaded with preservatives which are hard to digest and wreck your gut biome. Loaded with sugar or fat but have no other nutritional value. Avoid these.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:49 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
The US will never deal with obesity as a problem. We glorify it instead.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:14 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Europe has become a little more conscious of it. These days you go to a marks and Spencer's express gas station in the UK and they have produce sections, ready made meals that are more like real food, sandwiches made from real bread with nice fillings.

Go to a Speedway station here. Pizza and chicken under lights. Soda fountains candy and chips. Basically every beverage in the cooled is bottled or canned diabetes. I lost my craving for such stuff living overseas. I used to miss it but when I came back it just didn't taste the same. When I went into a gas station I was amazed at how their is literally nothing you should put in your body from shelf to shelf.

It isn't genes. Asians are known to be thin but in Thailand they also love salt and refined sugar, many shop at the main franchise of the nation 711. 711 there is similar to here but sells Asian versions of poison. Whatever you buy is only a delivery system for sugar and salt. People who have been to Japan know how different and how much better th3ir convenience stores are and Japanese aren't fat.

We eat complete garbage and do it everyday after day after day.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The US will never deal with obesity as a problem. We glorify it instead.
Yes, we do and it's becoming weird. Society wasn't like this when I was growing up in the 70's/80's.

Worse, celebrities who lose weight can also lose fans. From what I have read the singer Adele started getting newfound criticism following a dramatic weight loss. Same with actress Rebel Wilson. There are more.

Quite a few articles have been written about this phenomenon.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/09/these-...-their-bodies/

Old 09-11-2022, 12:07 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Europe has become a little more conscious of it. These days you go to a marks and Spencer's express gas station in the UK and they have produce sections, ready made meals that are more like real food, sandwiches made from real bread with nice fillings.

Go to a Speedway station here. Pizza and chicken under lights. Soda fountains candy and chips. Basically every beverage in the cooled is bottled or canned diabetes. I lost my craving for such stuff living overseas. I used to miss it but when I came back it just didn't taste the same. When I went into a gas station I was amazed at how their is literally nothing you should put in your body from shelf to shelf.

It isn't genes. Asians are known to be thin but in Thailand they also love salt and refined sugar, many shop at the main franchise of the nation 711. 711 there is similar to here but sells Asian versions of poison. Whatever you buy is only a delivery system for sugar and salt. People who have been to Japan know how different and how much better th3ir convenience stores are and Japanese aren't fat.

We eat complete garbage and do it everyday after day after day.
You can still find crap in Japan 7/11s but they have numerous 'healthy' things like onigiri and green tea drinks (often unsweetened).

But there are a few reasons Japanese are not fat - don't really eat diary, don't really eat sweet stuff.

Also culture is much less permissive of fatties than the USA.

Another thing in Japan is that people tend to dress more formally - suits. In America, I see people going to work in sweat pants and oversized 'comfy' clothes. When you wear a tight fitting suit, gaining weight is easily noticeable it's also expensive. All my suits are tailored to my waist, if I gain weight, I need to buy a new wardrobe, literally.

Much is the same in France. People are much skinnier than Americans but you still could easily get fat off readily available things in France if you wanted - like their sugar/butter filled pastries! The French however dress more formally - the men in suits and women in designer clothes, where you cannot even find large sizes and for the average french person on an average french salary, buying new designer clothes is prohibitively expensive.

Not to mention more walking. My residence in Cap d'Ail is 500ft (give or take) above sea level [epic views!], and maybe 200ft above the town. When it's summer (like now) I swim every morning, meaning I walk/jog 500 ft down, swim, and walk/jog ft up. There are a lot of stairs, and taking my car is more hassle than its worth with the parking. When I go to town to buy a few things, it's again 200ft down, 200ft up. So give or take on the average day, it's 700ft down, 700ft up. This adds up over a month, and this is not even my exercise period, just day to day routine.

A couple friends visited me, and they became winded right away going up the stairs. Faces red, out of breath!

Being sedentary is the worst thing for you.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Fast food is all junk-you dont get much meat out of a burger,so you fill your stomach with french fries,apple turnover and milkshake.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:46 PM

1,709 posts, read 806,400 times
We just had over a million Americans die of a disease which had as it's primary comorbidities obesity and diabetes.

We have a crumbling health care system that spends untold money on other diseases and conditions related to weight.

I think there is a problem that needs to be ADULTLY addressed, not 'sugar'coated or glossed over. We are doing it with tobacco, we need to do it with obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies