Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 05:05 PM

6,095 posts, read 2,715,675 times

Advertisements

That has been the case even before such a law was passed.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Common Core was an Obama great idea.

Actually, it was a Janet Napolitano idea. Both G. W. Bush and Obama supported it.

"Although they only recently captured national attention, the Common Core standards – which lay out what students should know and be able to do by each grade – have been in the works since at least 2008. It all started with former Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, who was the 2006-07 chair of the National Governors Association and now leads the University of California system, says Dane Linn, a vice president of the Business Roundtable who oversees its Education and Workforce Committee.

While serving as chair, Napolitano wrote an initiative for the year, as every past chair had done and as every chair has since. According to Linn, who at the time was serving as director of the NGA's Educational Policy Division, Napolitano's initiative had a strong focus on improving math and science education, as well as the workforce.

"The more she thought about it, she came to the conclusion that America couldn't lead the world in innovation and remain being competitive if we didn't have an internationally competitive education system," Linn says.

So Napolitano created a task force – composed of commissioners of education, governors, corporate chief executive officers and recognized experts in higher education – which in December 2008 released a report that Linn says would eventually serve as the building blocks of what became known as the Common Core State Standards, now adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia. "

https://www.usnews.com/news/special-...tate-standards

I remember the public debate about Common Core. The usual conservative position then was that Common Core standards were an unwarranted intrusion by the feds. I must admit it is a little dizzying to find out that suspending Common Core is now anathema to conservatives (at least P&OC conservatives). So I guess that means that many conservatives now think Common Core was a huge success?

(Also, as a side note, Kate Brown signed this bill in August 2021, not August 2022. https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-govern...154100667.html)

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-11-2022 at 06:33 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 08:37 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
The participation trophies continue

Old 09-11-2022, 08:50 PM

15,819 posts, read 6,523,439 times
On the face of it, this does seem a questionable policy. It will catch up to these students later when they try to get hired for a job.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
On the face of it, this does seem a questionable policy. It will catch up to these students later when they try to get hired for a job.
Employee testing is common today for both software engineers and people who work in the warehouse.

For the software guys, the tests can be brutal; for the warehouse guys, it's basic reading, writing and mathematics.

The basic tests would not be necessary if not for high schools graduating everyone, regardless of performance. It's for "equity," you know.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:11 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,247,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh dear me, my poor family. I wronged them by putting them in public school where they were so harmed that they paid almost nothing for college despite no financial need.

One is already making 6-figures with a 4-year degree and the other a paltry 80k at their first job out of college while living in a very low cost area.

I appreciate your broadbrush concern for our "bad public schools" across the nation and we will try to bear up under the strain of our sad lives.

Oh if only I had home schooled them like the family up the street whose kid is no doing tiktok videos dressed as a furry.
Quality snark but I don't really think the call now for home schooling really applies to you, or me for that matter. All 4 of my kids attended public school. They are all achieving well in life. My two youngest home schooled for their last few years. This was in the early 2010's. At that point I saw a distinct decline in the quality of their education as did they.

Now, I have 2 of my 3 Grandkids in school and the quality has slipped that much further in the past ten years. My 9 year old Grandson began homeschooling last week with a neighborhood Mom who is schooling him, her two boys and two other kids from the neighborhood. The curriculum was arrived at by a consensus of all the parents. My 5 year old Granddaughter is in public Kindergarten but we are working on a similar plan for her for 1st grade next year.

Strictly my opinion of course but I think this is the way to go and similar arrangements are popping up everywhere. Public schools have declined precipitously.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:00 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,288 times
they cant read but they still get to vote?

Old 09-12-2022, 06:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Quality snark but I don't really think the call now for home schooling really applies to you, or me for that matter. All 4 of my kids attended public school. They are all achieving well in life. My two youngest home schooled for their last few years. This was in the early 2010's. At that point I saw a distinct decline in the quality of their education as did they.

Now, I have 2 of my 3 Grandkids in school and the quality has slipped that much further in the past ten years. My 9 year old Grandson began homeschooling last week with a neighborhood Mom who is schooling him, her two boys and two other kids from the neighborhood. The curriculum was arrived at by a consensus of all the parents. My 5 year old Granddaughter is in public Kindergarten but we are working on a similar plan for her for 1st grade next year.

Strictly my opinion of course but I think this is the way to go and similar arrangements are popping up everywhere. Public schools have declined precipitously.
Exactly.

Very different environment today.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:29 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,046,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
They can graduate without knowing reading, writing, and 'rithmetic, but probably have to prove proficiency in gender identity and CRT.
Meanwhile, China and India don't teach gender identity and CRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Why bother sending your kids to school.

Dumbing of America.
A deliberate dumbing of America on the road to Idiocracy. Who'll probably benefit the most of this: China and India.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:16 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Perhaps if you schooled them, they'd have been equally or more successful. Your moniker says "MathGuy" so I think you're big on math, which alone gives your kids a head start.

But what about parents who are not educated, and thus the kids don't have them as a backup? Why should our public schools fail those kids.

I pay high property taxes to give these kids a chance at the American dream. I want K-12 schools to do their jobs, stop with this woke/crt nonsense and distraction and get back to the basics:

1. Science
2. Math
3. Logic/Logically Thinking
4. English language
5. Foreign language
If your local schools suck then you should find your own solution.

I make no claims that they are all great and wonderful. Such blanket statements are just as ignorant as saying that they're all bad and teaching wokeness and CRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies