Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 01:59 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

As I have been saying on here for many years, the system is rotten. Garbage in = garbage out.
Both parties care only about maintaining power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 02:22 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It didn't help then though. The liberals still got in.
That means the majority of voters wanted that political philosophy. And that is a good thing. Just as if they had voted conservative. After all we do support democracy, right?

Old 09-12-2022, 02:28 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Apathy in a word, reduces voting participation.

The US always had a free press to keep the politicians double speak and lawyerly indecipherable word arrangements.

Those days are gone as the media has become a pure state media propaganda machine to create of solve problems with cherry picked data or outright lies.

The left always picks some guy who never voted because of disinterest and claim he is one of the voters who need special help so as to not be deprived of this right to vote. Early voting, mail in ballots, violation of state voting law, ballot harvesting, and antiquated voting laws that make voting fraud a super high bar to trigger prosecution.

People who do not cast a legal ballot, actually do participate inthe voting process, as their non vote helps to support or approve candidates and policies.

NJ had a meager 35 % voting participation for Gov. which means approximately 18 % of registered voters elected phil murphy. Same with diblasio in NYC. 18% determine the direction of the state!!!!!!!

Dems don;t vote in dem strongholds like NJ, they know they always win. Repubs shy away from voting because they know the dems always win.

Dems love the concept of diversity except when it comes to political diversity.

The 2020 pres election has destroyed faith in the security of elections. That is w/o listening to Trump. their very open eyes had seen enough inconsistencies to know the election was a fraud. As if the rain came down in torrents and never touched the ground.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:32 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Too busy with the Tick Tock?

Old 09-12-2022, 03:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There are many Americans that are simply fed up with Politicians. They have no use for them. They think they lie and pander for votes and then when they win they forget their pledges and start lining their own pockets. Above all they think that their vote does not count.

What is really unfortunate for any Republican candidate is that there are many people that do believe that the 2020 election was rigged so they think that their vote will not be counted, counted incorrectly or go missing so why bother? and I'm not even talking about the "Fringe". Of course this is exactly what the Democrats want because voters will stay home.

I heard a guy on the radio railing against the Democrats but he was no Trump fan and if he was the candidate in 2024 then he would not vote. Okay that makes sense. You think the Democrats are destroying the country but you refuse to vote for a guy that could stop that?
But conservatives say that America was utterly destroyed from the result of 8 long, long years of Obama/Biden. That's why Trump came along in 2016 to Make America Great Again.

However, most conservatives don't believe the election was rigged, most of all those conservatives living in states where Trump easily won.

Since 2016, I've been voting for the Libertarian candidate for president as a protest vote to say I'm fed up with the Republican and Democrat presidential candidates. Too bad more people won't vote the same way.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I concur that the voter turn out is not at it's best in either country. Canada had 62% and the USA 56% in the last federal elections. I have mixed feelings the way Australia runs its elections, whereby if you do not vote, you get fined (with some excuses accepted). They get turnouts in the 90% and up.

Depending on the time of day, you could convince me that is a great system, or that it sucks.
After a bit of a think.

Voter turnout percentages are taken from registered voters who turn out. So a country with higher voter registration, may show the same voter turnout percentage as a country with lower voter registration, but in actuality have a higher per capita voter turnout of eligible voters, since those non-registered voters aren't in the equation.

Do I have this correct?

Old 09-13-2022, 10:32 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Making voter registration automatic is something the U.S. should absolutely strive for. People say it's easy but the fact is it varies so much from place to place that it's not necessarily easy at all. Our citizenry is much more mobile than it used to be and registering to vote is just not top of mind for lots of people. It should be automatic when someone does any one of several routine actions, such as getting a driver's license or giving the Post Office a change-of-address order.

There's a reason why get-out-the-vote movements are so focused on registration at the local level. It's CONFUSING. If we took even small steps toward implementing some national norms around registration and voting, voter participation would increase substantially even if there were new ID requirements included.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Making voter registration automatic is something the U.S. should absolutely strive for. People say it's easy but the fact is it varies so much from place to place that it's not necessarily easy at all. Our citizenry is much more mobile than it used to be and registering to vote is just not top of mind for lots of people. It should be automatic when someone does any one of several routine actions, such as getting a driver's license or giving the Post Office a change-of-address order.

There's a reason why get-out-the-vote movements are so focused on registration at the local level. It's CONFUSING. If we took even small steps toward implementing some national norms around registration and voting, voter participation would increase substantially even if there were new ID requirements included.
Why not make voter registration standard among all states. I registered to vote when I turned 18. I got a paper application from the post office, filled it out and mailed it to the address on the form. Boom. Done. That was 40+ years ago, still registered to vote. Now it can be done on-line.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:09 PM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times
just because you are registered, doesn’t mean you will e motivated to vote. i never would vote for state politics in New Jersey because there was literally no point unless you were in the majority of flipper flappers who think the state is run well. And i will say, if the gop doesn’t have a decent candidate, i am done with them at that point, and will just do all i can to keep my current state as red as can be and vote for Biden.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:14 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
just because you are registered, doesn’t mean you will e motivated to vote. i never would vote for state politics in New Jersey because there was literally no point unless you were in the majority of flipper flappers who think the state is run well. And i will say, if the gop doesn’t have a decent candidate, i am done with them at that point, and will just do all i can to keep my current state as red as can be and vote for Biden.
True enough but why impose any barriers on those who may want to vote? Make it easier and more will do so. Of course, that's not a goal shared by all, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies