Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 08:51 AM

19,765 posts, read 18,039,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I agree with this statement since it is the American way, but at the same time, it needs to be balanced in a fair manner…. And not alway in favor to management or even the workers. This is easier said than done.

I see numerous strikes within many skilled/unskilled professions on the horizon, do to inflation and a work force that is no longer willing to work. My gut is telling me that 2023 is going to be one hell of a rocky year for most of us, if things keep going at this pace.

All I know is that Biden is the President and the leader of the American people. As so, he needs to act like it and take charge of the situation. Simply yelling into a microphone, while acting tough and blaming Trump and Trump supporters is getting old and only his die-hard supporters believe that line of BS.

Seriously, who believes him when he is telling us that things haven’t been this good in years and that everything is under control and couldn’t be better? Yes, I didn’t vote for him, but I wished he’d would do a better job than Trump since the last thing I want to see is our country in decline and our people hurting, especially in the winter.

Honestly, looking at Biden’s 50+ year track record, we’re basically screwed since if the country is faced with back to back strikes, our fragile economy is in major trouble and Biden will have placed himself between a bolder and a brick wall since he claims to be a union man, but will he remain a union man if the unions strike and paralyze our crumbling supply chain and both our local and national economies?

If the unions win most, if not all their demands, many retirees, especially ones solely dependent on Social Security and with a little savings will have no choice but to re-enter the labor markets, just to survive with our ever spiking inflation. I’m already seeing more and more senior citizens working now than say 3-4 years ago.

When the end cost of a gallon of gas is $7 and when a McDonald’s Big Mac, just the Burger, cost $10, the country is in trouble

Good post. The pain point is paying large groups of people more and more yields inflation. IOW the more of this kind of thing we (we=society) allow the more The Fed. will ultimately have to increase interest rates and more pain than otherwise necessary will be felt across sectors that cannot leverage exceptional raises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 05:36 PM

3,258 posts, read 5,625,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As a retired big city firefighter you have my respect.

I'm not down on any profession and I certainly don't hate nurses. However, the facts are the academic side of nursing isn't very competitive and most staff nurses work relatively limited hours - 36-40 hours per week is very common. My SIL mentioned above has worked 3x12 Wed., Th., Fri. and off for four days for about 20 years. Most traveling nurses work very hard for short periods of time and then take weeks or months off.

In the face of a national inflation problem asking for huge raises should be out.

I certainly am not inferring that you "hate" nurses but your ignorance of the job is evident ... at least the critical roles which is all I did. Sure there are lower impact sides of the profession but I didn't work with CNA's or nurse assistants . I would have liked that for surely it would have freed me up for more important interventions but as it was I had to squeeze in the menial/low impact between advanced care duties too. Most of my work was inappropriate for lesser trained personnel.

You really are ignorant of most higher level RN duties. It shows through your posted content.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I certainly am not inferring that you "hate" nurses but your ignorance of the job is evident ... at least the critical roles which is all I did. Sure there are lower impact sides of the profession but I didn't work with CNA's or nurse assistants . I would have liked that for surely it would have freed me up for more important interventions but as it was I had to squeeze in the menial/low impact between advanced care duties too. Most of my work was inappropriate for lesser trained personnel.

You really are ignorant of most higher level RN duties. It shows through your posted content.

I haven't spoken a word about any particular higher level RN duties and my key claims have little to do with the the particulars of the job. My points are A. nurse education is not particularly challenging academically. B. giving any large group - in the case nurses - huge raises when the Fed./.gov is trying to quell inflation is unfair to everyone else. C. covid stresses on some nurses noted it is tough to believe nursing is as some portray a meat grinder of brutal work when the average RN works fewer hours than nearly any other profession.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:13 AM

1,997 posts, read 859,851 times
Quote:
I haven't spoken a word about any particular higher level RN duties and my key claims have little to do with the the particulars of the job. My points are A. nurse education is not particularly challenging academically. B. giving any large group - in the case nurses - huge raises when the Fed./.gov is trying to quell inflation is unfair to everyone else. C. covid stresses on some nurses noted it is tough to believe nursing is as some portray a meat grinder of brutal work when the average RN works fewer hours than nearly any other profession.
You seem like a smart person, but you don't have a clue of what nurses deal with on an everyday basis.
There is a shortage and was a shortage of nurses before covid. It's a tough job. Nurses take care and monitor patients 24 hrs 7 days a week. A Doctor will diagnosis and treat a patient according to testing and information gleaned from the nurses. A good Doctor will tell you good nurses are paramount.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:38 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,931,000 times
There's been a shortage of nurses for 20+ years.

It's probably because girls in school were told to be doctors. Not nurses. Because being a nurse is demeaning, and girl power and all that. Just a thought.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,083,773 times
Quote:
ok. First a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is rigorous. To get into an accelerated program one must already have a Bachelors in a related field. Many medical students become nurses. Not only is it challenging academically (I cannot understand why you would disagree)but for the first time in one's life a nurse is repsonsible for another persons life. The job is complex, scientific, and frankly scary. 12 hour shifts many times without breaks are rigorous. Do three of them in a row and you don't want to talk to anybody. That is hard on you and on the family.

When you as an advanced RN work in any area the responsibility is mentally and physically taxing. In critical care it is daunting. 10 medication pumps, a ventilator and drugs changing all the time. It is a war in moment to moment time. It's highly collaborative with multiple phone calls, doctor communications and in a crisis it is one of the most arduous tasks a human being could have.

So educate yourself. And come back when you at least know what you are talking about. otherwise you just look the fool.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:58 PM

15,622 posts, read 10,375,150 times
nursing is an educated profession, a noble profession, a caring profession. most people who choose to be a nurse don't do it for just money. people who choose to be nurses do it because they care about people and want to help them. they should be paid well for their medical knowledge, education, and contribution to the bottom line. are they? I don't know, but i do know no hospital could function or many patients would not recover without qualified and experienced registered nurses.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-19-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
ok. First a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is rigorous. To get into an accelerated program one must already have a Bachelors in a related field. Many medical students become nurses. Not only is it challenging academically (I cannot understand why you would disagree)but for the first time in one's life a nurse is repsonsible for another persons life. The job is complex, scientific, and frankly scary. 12 hour shifts many times without breaks are rigorous. Do three of them in a row and you don't want to talk to anybody. That is hard on you and on the family.

When you as an advanced RN work in any area the responsibility is mentally and physically taxing. In critical care it is daunting. 10 medication pumps, a ventilator and drugs changing all the time. It is a war in moment to moment time. It's highly collaborative with multiple phone calls, doctor communications and in a crisis it is one of the most arduous tasks a human being could have.

So educate yourself. And come back when you at least know what you are talking about. otherwise you just look the fool.

I'm a lot of things.......fool isn't one of them.

1. Educationally speaking rigorous relative to what? Certainly no other STEM related area.

2. I've never once heard of a medical student who didn't wash out one way or another going into nursing. Not one. Did you maybe mean students who failed to win a medical school spot?

3. What legitimate profession isn't challenging?

Old 09-19-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
nursing is an educated profession, a noble profession, a caring profession. most people who choose to be a nurse don't do it for just money. people who choose to be nurses do it because they care about people and want to help them. they should be paid well for their medical knowledge, education, and contribution to the bottom line. are they? I don't know, but i do know no hospital could function or many patients would not recover without qualified and experienced registered nurses.
Good post.

However, the country would stop functioning without any of truck drivers, plumbers, HVAC types etc.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:04 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,083,773 times
Quote:
I'm a lot of things.......fool isn't one of them.

1. Educationally speaking rigorous relative to what? Certainly no other STEM related area.

2. I've never once heard of a medical student who didn't wash out one way or another going into nursing. Not one. Did you maybe mean students who failed to win a medical school spot?

3. What legitimate profession isn't challenging?
No I am stating that many medical students elect to become nurses. They do so because individual practice is very experience to start and nurses are now earning 70% of a in hospital doctor salary without the headaches.

Educationally nurses attend classes and clinical 8 hours per day and typically study 6 more hours or more per day.

Last edited by AADAD; 09-19-2022 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies