Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 08:49 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how many countries in Asia absolutely love to wear masks. I’m talking 100% of the population, even though it’s no longer mandatory.

What’s even more preposterous is that many restaurants in Asia are very crowded with tables close by each other, and they have zero problems taking off the masks to eat in close proximity to strangers.

But you will see people driving alone in their car, or walking alone outside, fully masked up.

Many Asians love wearing masks, there’s no other way to put it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 09:05 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Wearing masks in Asian countries is very common. And even before covid we have all seen some wearing masks here. It kind of makes sense that you wear one when you are sick so you don't spread your germs to others. Not advocating anyone to wear one but don't belittle ones who do.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:20 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wearing masks in Asian countries is very common. And even before covid we have all seen some wearing masks here. It kind of makes sense that you wear one when you are sick so you don't spread your germs to others. Not advocating anyone to wear one but don't belittle ones who do.
I’ve talked to many people, and they are fully aware that the mask is only for show. Many feel a lot of pressure to continue wearing it even when they don’t want to.

What’s really bizarre is that nearly 100% of the foreigners aren’t wearing masks, while 100% of the locals are wearing the mask.

But to each his own. It doesn’t bother me in the least that everyone around me is wearing masks while I walk around unmasked. I find it quite humorous, actually.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:37 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’ve talked to many people, and they are fully aware that the mask is only for show. Many feel a lot of pressure to continue wearing it even when they don’t want to.

What’s really bizarre is that nearly 100% of the foreigners aren’t wearing masks, while 100% of the locals are wearing the mask.

But to each his own. It doesn’t bother me in the least that everyone around me is wearing masks while I walk around unmasked. I find it quite humorous, actually.
Why do you find it humorous if others wear a mask since you have no idea what their circumstances are. Many have compromised immune systems and are high risk for infections which they can't afford to get.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:15 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,654,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have routinely seen Asian people wear masks during winter flu season and allergy season for many years now. I think many Asian nations have embraced mask wearing for decades and there was no stigma against it and it was encouraged. Many Asian Americans heard the word "Covid" and willingly masked up long before any mandates.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Asians wear face masks at higher rates than anybody else, as it is a normal part of many Asian cultures.

I have no clue if 3rd Gen US born Asians wear masks or not, but I personally know plenty of US born Asians and their children who choose to wear masks routinely, and are still wearing them now since Omicron was pushed and now this new 5 variant or what the heck.

Many Asian Americans will mask up at the drop of a hat.
Asians wear masks the most...have seen many wearing them in Japan when I taught English there way way before covid or SARS. And...I have NEVER seen an Asian wear a mask wrong (nose not covered) like I see with Americans on a daily basis.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:34 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:
We used to visit Disney frequently when my daughter was younger - long before COVID. It was fairly common to see Asian families visiting from Asian countries wearing masks in the parks and on buses.

I only wore masks when it was required and I have my personal opinions about masking, but I don't harbor ill will against those that choose to do so. When I see someone wearing a mask, I am mindful that they are concerned about their health and I make an effort to allow them extra distance. I did this in a grocery store recently and the woman was so offended that she said something to me. I think she thought it was racially motivated. I explained to her that I was being considerate since was wearing a mask. She seemed to believe me.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:01 AM

3,113 posts, read 937,711 times
Quote:
Why do you find it humorous if others wear a mask since you have no idea what their circumstances are. Many have compromised immune systems and are high risk for infections which they can't afford to get.
It's either a sign of hypochondria or virtue signaling because these days, Omicron is as benign as any cold virus years before.

Of course, anyone is free to wear a mask, as should be everyone's choice not to wear a mask (still not so in some places).

But people will judge! Especially when I see someone relatively healthy and not super old in a mask. I find it funny. Similarly, I find it hilarious when I see (usually black tourists) morbidly obese girls in very very revealing clothes in my area! They're free to do so but I will point and laugh

Old 09-14-2022, 05:17 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
My job involves dealing with folks of all ages, ethnicities, occupations and education.

Yes, by far, American-born blacks wear masks more than other races. Blacks born in foreign countries are about on par with other races and ethnicities.

Because I know their occupation, teachers and health care workers also wear masks more than other occupations. Health care workers I get (although doctors tend to NOT wear masks, but nurses do). The teachers, I don't get all.

College-aged kids also wear them far more than teens or adults. But the teens that do wear them are most paranoid about removing the mask (which they must do at some point for me to identify them). It is almost always a battle, and when the mask is removed, they look terrified, and they put them back on as fast as they are allowed to. Keep in mind that we still have shields up that separate them from me.

Just my observations over the last few years.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:14 AM

15,819 posts, read 6,523,439 times
During the peak of the epidemic it was widely noted that members of minority ethnic groups were more likely to become seriously ill from COVID-19, so there were probably efforts to encourage mask wearing among certain groups. Some religious institutions may have played a role in that. If you know that you are less likely to receive good medical care, that's an added incentive toward mask wearing. Finally, the fact that the dominant right wing political group was actively discouraging sensible sanitary practices may also have provoked a contrary response.

All speculative on my part, of course.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:28 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I see more Hispanics wearing a mask. Oh and young heavy set white girls. Its because it covers their double chin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies