Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 07:09 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Yep, you read that right and it INFURIATES me!

Here is the link. https://www.foxnews.com/media/oregon...school-program

And if you read the above, you will notice that the sub-headline says, "One childcare center was given a grant of nearly $300,000, with only one student enrolled in the program."

Now, I am all for education, which I have stated quite clearly at least a hundred times before, I think.

But the idea of paying this much money just shows how society and public spending has become completely crazy, imo. When I was a kid in the 50's -- yeah, I know, here it comes, one of THOSE stories, -- I did not go to preschool, and neither did most of the kids in my working class neighborhood. For most of the kids of my generation, it was our mothers who taught us to know names of the colors and how to count and even the alphabet, and we had plenty of "art time" and socialization where we learned to get along with others.

The point is that with all the neglected/abused children who end up in foster care, I think this amount of money could be put to MUCH better use, such as supporting those parents who are considered to be at risk for losing their children to foster care. And, btw, I do NOT approve of people having children that they cannot afford to support without government help, but I think that since people do make those choices, that taxpayer money could be spent in much better ways to actually help those parents and their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 AM

7,375 posts, read 3,536,587 times
the general tax fund is an unlimited resource. now, i originally was from NJ and was paying over 10k a year in property taxes for a modest house, but as for grants I have to admit many of these childcare centers wouldn’t be able to exist without grant money or donations. say your hvac system goes, thats 30k easily. parking lot needs to be paved and striped? 50-100k. not to mention the daily maintenance that goes into just the buildings to keep them modern and up
to code. i won’t even get into fines, fees, annual inspections, insurance, salaries, food service. it’s quite costly to run these businesses.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:11 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
the general tax fund is an unlimited resource. now, i originally was from NJ and was paying over 10k a year in property taxes for a modest house, but as for grants I have to admit many of these childcare centers wouldn’t be able to exist without grant money or donations. say your hvac system goes, thats 30k easily. parking lot needs to be paved and striped? 50-100k. not to mention the daily maintenance that goes into just the buildings to keep them modern and up
to code. i won’t even get into fines, fees, annual inspections, insurance, salaries, food service. it’s quite costly to run these businesses.
See you're also from NJ. NJ has "abbott districts" basically the districts of single families, and the hood. The state is paying north of $30-40k (Asbury Park) per student, per year to attend schools there, where it seems most of our state taxes are going to the aid. Personally the money shouldn't even being going to these schools, because they can't show the return on investment.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:30 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
... because they can't show the return on investment.
Hmm, govt/taxes/ROI, which one doesn't belong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies