Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 01:25 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before the internet, there was mail order catalogs. People anywhere have always had access to literally anything they wanted.
I remember those days. Nothing arrived next day. You mailed of a check and an order form or called them and used a credit card and you are talking a week to several weeks to get what you wanted. That is why Bezos came up with the concept of Amazon Prime and the warehouses all over the country.

You can't compare the old sears catalog to Amazon Prime delivery. Its like comparing snail mail to texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 04:25 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I remember those days. Nothing arrived next day. You mailed of a check and an order form or called them and used a credit card and you are talking a week to several weeks to get what you wanted. That is why Bezos came up with the concept of Amazon Prime and the warehouses all over the country.

You can't compare the old sears catalog to Amazon Prime delivery. Its like comparing snail mail to texting.
Amazon Prime is a paid for add-on. Regular Amazon can take up to 2 weeks and sometimes longer but they do not charge you until it ships.

At least compare apples to apples.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Amazon Prime is a paid for add-on. Regular Amazon can take up to 2 weeks and sometimes longer but they do not charge you until it ships.

At least compare apples to apples.

I get that. You have the option today to get things in a day or two. Back in the day that was not possible. Obviously one needs to weigh the cost of prime and how often they buy on Amazon. I buy a lot of stuff. So it works for me. And my experience buying non prime items because that was the only option. All sellers I have bought from ship within a day or two. I sell on Amazon. FBM and FBA. You want to ship quickly. Its in your best interest. Waiting two weeks makes no sense.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:42 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
I get that. You have the option today to get things in a day or two. Back in the day that was not possible. Obviously one needs to weigh the cost of prime and how often they buy on Amazon. I buy a lot of stuff. So it works for me. And my experience buying non prime items because that was the only option. All sellers I have bought from ship within a day or two. I sell on Amazon. FBM and FBA. You want to ship quickly. Its in your best interest. Waiting two weeks makes no sense.
To each his own. It's not food I'm ordering nor anything I need immediately.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:40 AM

I order items for my two businesses. Works out to about $1 per order with my prime membership.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:10 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:

Well, that is more because of technology, and transport companies like Fedex, UPS, DHL. Amzn used those companies before they created their own fleets. I think they still use third party long distance or plane shipments. I am not aware of any Amzn airports.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:58 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You didn't ask me, but I buy quite a lot from Amazon, especially for hard to find items, because it's convenient and if what you want is made, they probably have it. It saves a lot of time and driving around.
For starters, I have not even delved into what this case is about, but my general thought process is as follows.

I do not like Amazon (even though my family uses them on occasion), mainly because its founder has used his money to promote one side of the political process, and intentionally damaged the other.
Having said that, most (D) run states and almost all (D) run cities are anti-capitalism/American values, so I suspect CA (likely the worst, or certainly in the top 3) is attacking success all in the name of "equity". They need more and more of citizens money to fund their irresponsible governance, and where better to get it than an evil rich people/corporations.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well, that is more because of technology, and transport companies like Fedex, UPS, DHL. Amzn used those companies before they created their own fleets. I think they still use third party long distance or plane shipments. I am not aware of any Amzn airports.
Amazon uses UPS to receive merchandise from its sellers. Really cheap rates. I can ship a 50 pound box for under $10 to Amazon in Ft. Worth. But what has changed is Amazon having warehouses all over the country. With much of the same merchandise in each warehouse. Instead of one big Sears warehouse with different delivery times based on how far you are from them, you have Amazon warehouses near every city and no more than 2-3 hours from almost everyone. Only Walmart can compete with that.

As far as how Amazon ships. They created their own fleet because they save money and get the items out quicker. Here in rural Oklahoma USPS up until recently delivered Amazon prime shipments. An Amazon truck would show up at the local post office here about 5am. USPS would sort the packages and deliver it that day. You had to get an order in by about 2pm if you wanted it delivered next day. Now you have until about 7pm to get next day.

What is really amazing is Amazon got the post office to deliver on Sundays and accept deliveries early in the morning like as was the case in my town.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:29 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
I'm ok with this.

Amazon shouldn't be able to tell anyone what they can sell things for off their platform. Nobody can compete with Amazon on shipping, and if Amazon always has the lowest purchase price, it's always going to be cheaper to buy from Amazon even if you can find the same price elsewhere.

Companies can't even sell stuff on their own websites for less than they sell it for on Amazon.

A lot more needs to be done to rein these companies in but this is a start.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:38 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For starters, I have not even delved into what this case is about, but my general thought process is as follows.

I do not like Amazon (even though my family uses them on occasion), mainly because its founder has used his money to promote one side of the political process, and intentionally damaged the other.
Having said that, most (D) run states and almost all (D) run cities are anti-capitalism/American values, so I suspect CA (likely the worst, or certainly in the top 3) is attacking success all in the name of "equity". They need more and more of citizens money to fund their irresponsible governance, and where better to get it than an evil rich people/corporations.
Bezos lost 63 billion the first 6 months of 2022, so I wonder which side he is on now?
I finally broke down and got Amazon Prime during the pandemic when I couldn't find certain products in the stores and I know Amazon has everything, before that I would order stuff over $35 to get free shipping. I like Amazon Prime streaming service, and I get discounts at Whole Foods, so the fee for Prime is well worth it, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies