Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 07:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We've outgrown mfg.
USA currently manufacturers more than it ever has, don't conflate manufacturing employment with manufacturing production output.

Quote:
But the high paying ones require some skill (college) and/or certification.

I would disagree that all the ones you listed are "service". I consider teaching a professional job since you need a 4 year degree..others as well.

I would not lump a college degreed teacher with a burger flipper as being in the same industry..service.
Teachers, lawyers, doctors, etc. are service industry, since they provide people with intangible products instead of physical products. You having your own personal pet categories isn't really useful for a group discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 07:49 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Simple remedy - abolish all taxes on American labor and industry. Make America a "Tax Haven."

+ Boost in take home pay
+ Drop in retail prices, while still maintaining same profit margin
+ End any benefit for hiring "undocumented" labor
+ End any benefit for "anchor babies"
+ Repatriate industries that left due to the excessive taxation

Of course it will never happen. When did any government ever willingly cut taxes and spending? When did any government give up its power to bribe and tax? When did recipients ever vote to cut their own benefits?

Old 09-17-2022, 09:17 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Liberals don't want to protect American jobs and businesses.
Blame it on greedy corporations. Labor is much cheaper overseas. They don't have to pay for their healthcare, paid leave, retirement etc. So the CEO's and company executives just get richer and richer.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:21 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
We still have the capacity to make things in the country, but we don’t have the willing workers to work anymore.
We don't have workers who will work below a certain wage.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:27 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We don't have workers who will work below a certain wage.
We don't have enough workers with the skills needed to work in an automated manufacturing setting, which is the only way to compete with low wage manufacturing.

Several years ago, a company that manufactures hydraulic pumps and so forth reported that staffing a new plant near Charlotte, NC was proving to be a challenge. IIRC, it was a German company and they were paying decent salaries. They needed 300 workers who could operate and troubleshoot their automated equipment. IIRC, they tested for reading, math skills, problem-solving, and computer skills. They had thousands of applicants, interviewed and tested over 3,000, and only came up with about 100 workers. As I recall, they brought in people from overseas to staff the factory.

The days when a worker could earn a decent living by putting the spare tire in each vehicle as it rolled past are long gone. I suspect it has been at least a decade or more since an actual human did such tasks.

Automation is the future of manufacturing, and requires workers who can operate, trouble shoot, and repair the automated equipment that installs those spare tires.

Way too many workers in our nation do not possess the skills to do this. Over half of community college applicants need to take remedial courses as they don't have the basic academic skills. Retail workers can't count change. US student test scores are way below those from other nations. ...

That our nation's schools are not preparing students to be successful in the age of information is not exactly a secret.

It doesn't help that many in the U.S. look down at education. Their uncle got a good job driving a truck, working in a copper mime, laying carpet, whatever, ... so why bother with education.

I'm reading that the U.S. is making some inroads bringing back manufacturing in certain sectors. However, it is is hard to imagine how we can bring back manufacturing on a large scale if we don't have the workers able to operate these factories.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:58 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I remember when "Made in Japan" was the big issue
Yes! Paul Revere and the Raiders' song "Indian Reservation" even mentions that.

And all the beads we made by hand. Are nowadays made in Japan

We're probably close to the same age. China was closed off when we were growing up.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Our govt just came back from Mexico,it wants Mexico to make semi conductor chips and align closer with us.
Mexico Labor is cheaper than US.
China is also investing in Mexico,due to its proximity to USA.
Everyone is looking for cheaper labor-Thailand,Vietnam,Philipines.

Moving manufacturing to Mexico would've solved multiple issues we have today, including immigration.
People flee their home country when it is unsafe or if there is low/no prospects for economic prosperity.

So what did we do instead? We did the exact opposite by flooding South/Central America with guns and drugs.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:45 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Kids can’t see how toys are made

Everything even the sealed packaging on things we send domestically, even the bottle to open of our own drinks, even our own American flag Poles are made in China

But when I buy things on eBay, I see rare durable well made stuff , clothing, jackets, cabinet sets, allllllll made in America !!! All it it ?

Then if you want a customized version of a product you see you can’t…

I want to see where and how things are made . Can I move to China? My friends are moving to China Korea Japan Philippines Thailand Vietnam all over like all over Asia. Because everything is made there they can build like 45-story buildings in 4 days, they have amazing skyscrapers I wish we had more factories like the Chinese.
3rd world countries are cheap because they are 3rd world countries. They often do not have the same restrictions on manufacturing as first-world countries do, so they can cut corners and make goods cheaper. Salaries are lower, so goods are cheaper. Would you really want to move there? Probably not if you are used to the US.

Talk seriously to your friends and find out what it is REALLY like to live there and do not fantasize about it. Be informed instead. Otherwise you will have a very small idea of what it is like.

China uses construction as one way to drive its economy out of the 3rd world economy towards a first-world economy and it is doing that very well, but they have to take time and they are going to cut corners on the way. The things which make many people want to live in a first-world country, are often not present in a 3rd world country.

If it is not China, then there are going to be other countries which step up and be the preferred 3rd-world country to make your first-world cheap goods.

The bottom line is - If you dont like the quality, then dont buy the item from your local supplier. VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY and you will be able to change the quality of your goods. However, first-world countries use 3rd-world countries because they can make goods more cheaply which means you get lower prices.

Are you really willing to pay more for your goods if they are made in the USA and of better quality? No, I suspect not.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
I remember when "Made in Japan" was the big issue
At least a lot of good electronic stuff used to be made in Japan, such as Sony TVs and stereos for starters. Cars, too, and still are.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
3rd world countries are cheap because they are 3rd world countries. They often do not have the same restrictions on manufacturing as first-world countries do, so they can cut corners and make goods cheaper. Salaries are lower, so goods are cheaper. Would you really want to move there? Probably not if you are used to the US.

Talk seriously to your friends and find out what it is REALLY like to live there and do not fantasize about it. Be informed instead. Otherwise you will have a very small idea of what it is like.

China uses construction as one way to drive its economy out of the 3rd world economy towards a first-world economy and it is doing that very well, but they have to take time and they are going to cut corners on the way. The things which make many people want to live in a first-world country, are often not present in a 3rd world country.

If it is not China, then there are going to be other countries which step up and be the preferred 3rd-world country to make your first-world cheap goods.

The bottom line is - If you dont like the quality, then dont buy the item from your local supplier. VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY and you will be able to change the quality of your goods. However, first-world countries use 3rd-world countries because they can make goods more cheaply which means you get lower prices.

Are you really willing to pay more for your goods if they are made in the USA and of better quality? No, I suspect not.
Agreed. One can enrich the Chinese or enrich America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies