Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:04 PM

408 posts, read 288,973 times

Advertisements

Kids can’t see how toys are made

Everything even the sealed packaging on things we send domestically, even the bottle to open of our own drinks, even our own American flag Poles are made in China

But when I buy things on eBay, I see rare durable well made stuff , clothing, jackets, cabinet sets, allllllll made in America !!! All it it ?

Then if you want a customized version of a product you see you can’t…

I want to see where and how things are made . Can I move to China? My friends are moving to China Korea Japan Philippines Thailand Vietnam all over like all over Asia. Because everything is made there they can build like 45-story buildings in 4 days, they have amazing skyscrapers I wish we had more factories like the Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 09:07 PM

7,723 posts, read 3,337,202 times
Define "we". Near as I know most of us do want to see things made in America but the people with the money to finance it feel otherwise.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:11 PM

18,659 posts, read 7,527,397 times
Since everything is made in China why don’t we want to have the power of making stuff anymore?

Buying from China was cheaper.

If we bought from USA, we'd have to raise our prices and nobody would buy our stuff. Didn't have much choice. Or did you have a suggestion?

Old 09-16-2022, 10:04 PM

21,058 posts, read 19,537,471 times
Liberals don't want to protect American jobs and businesses.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:21 PM

24,418 posts, read 9,287,588 times
The left wants everyone to get paid $25 an hour.

Companies can’t afford that, consumers can’t pay for it, so now everything gets made in China.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:59 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,014,659 times
We still have the capacity to make things in the country, but we don’t have the willing workers to work anymore.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,387,311 times
Our govt just came back from Mexico,it wants Mexico to make semi conductor chips and align closer with us.
Mexico Labor is cheaper than US.
China is also investing in Mexico,due to its proximity to USA.
Everyone is looking for cheaper labor-Thailand,Vietnam,Philipines.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:39 AM

29,694 posts, read 24,763,642 times
I make things at home just like they did in the good ol days, and how they do in China today. Sometimes I sell my stuff on ebay, but ebay is where you go to dump your stuff you can't sell elsewhere. Ebay is not where you want to sell your high end high quality stuff, because people will only pay rock bottom prices there. And the fees will wreck you. Let the Chinese sellers have it. Most Americans depending on places like that to move their goods will be eating dog food if that's the only place they can sell their products. That's why most of what you see there is cheap foreign made junk. Try looking for higher end places to buy your goods from if you want USA made stuff. But you will pay quite a premium for it these days. It wasn't just the kid at McDonalds that got that huge raise.

Anyone who wants to make and sell products in the USA can, but good luck making a living doing it. That's the hard part. That's why we don't make as much anymore. All about the almighty dollar. Americans want a house full of cheap easily breakable junk from China. Since we don't make much of that, the USA focuses on other stuff like auto, military, aerospace, etc. The stuff you can feed a family while producing. Kids like to eat, am I right??? So yes, we do actually make a lot if you go by dollars spent. It's just mostly stuff you and I could never afford or don't even have the option to buy, like airplanes and military vehicles and such.

If people want custom stuff made in the USA, that's not a problem. But they generally won't make your product for Walmart prices. People who buy one off custom items typically know they are going to pay a premium for someone to stop whatever it is they are doing to make your special one off item. There's also a long waitlist in many cases, because there are so few of these people around in the USA.

Buildings in China are put up very quickly because they have a huge surplus of labor, standards are lower and they are probably still cutting corners where they can. Practice certainly has something to do with the speed and efficiency as well. Both countries have made top down decisions about what we are going to specialize in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
We still have the capacity to make things in the country, but we don’t have the willing workers to work anymore.

They are working at McDonalds assembling hamburgers because it pays more than 80% of the manufacturing work that needs to be done in the world. Last time I checked, the average manufacturing wage around the world was $3/hr. They can't bring that low value work back to the USA without hyperinflation.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:44 AM

23,135 posts, read 28,892,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Our govt just came back from Mexico,it wants Mexico to make semi conductor chips and align closer with us.
Mexico Labor is cheaper than US.
China is also investing in Mexico,due to its proximity to USA.
Everyone is looking for cheaper labor-Thailand,Vietnam,Philipines.
With Mexico's fertility rate now down to 2.0, that cheap labor isn't going to be around much longer. Then it's down to Guatemala or Honduras.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:01 AM

29,694 posts, read 24,763,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With Mexico's fertility rate now down to 2.0, that cheap labor isn't going to be around much longer. Then it's down to Guatemala or Honduras.

If everything remains constant, you could make such an assumption. But they don't and you can't. And a lot of the available labor in these countries leave for higher paying countries.

China's belt and road initiative will seek to ensure there are billions of new participants in the global economy all willing to work for absurdly low wages. Plus, the countries these people live in will be so overwhelmed by debt from misallocated spending that their currency will be practically worthless, making it all the more certain the workers will be exploited and pimped by China.

The USA and it's system encourages greed, and China's system is all too happy to satisfy that greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies