Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 04:56 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

The history of our species is always been about control of information, and to a degree I can actually understand why given that there is misinformation going on out there that a lot of people can actually end up believing.

However, it's a slippery slope towards authoritarianism when information is allowed to be controlled so it's a double-edged sword. In truth this is something that we will be fighting for the next 500 years or more. The people in charge are always going to want to control things and everybody else is always going to want to be left alone and you're always going to find a happy medium somewhere until the wrong person gets power and things Fall apart and the cycle repeats.

There's not even full freedom of speech on godlike productions forum. If you talk about Jews or incels they will ban you there are certain topics you're just not allowed to bring up. The question is should movements like mgtow be allowed to spread unchecked? Is it better that for our own good certain types of information are not allowed? What if a movement is entirely based on hate or paranoia? I don't know I'm asking. Consider it speculative discussion.

I just got my bivalent booster. I haven't subscribed to the vaccine conspiracy theories, however I respect people's right to openly debate the issue. Just one of many examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 05:06 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,850 times
If you need nanny government to decide for you what is true, then perhaps North Korea or Iran should be your home.

This whole censorship/misinformation debacle is being pushed by the left, almost in a fascistic form.

The brainwashing has fully set in, if you condone what the left is doing these days.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The history of our species is always been about control of information, and to a degree I can actually understand why given that there is misinformation going on out there that a lot of people can actually end up believing.

However, it's a slippery slope towards authoritarianism when information is allowed to be controlled so it's a double-edged sword. In truth this is something that we will be fighting for the next 500 years or more. The people in charge are always going to want to control things and everybody else is always going to want to be left alone and you're always going to find a happy medium somewhere until the wrong person gets power and things Fall apart and the cycle repeats.

There's not even full freedom of speech on godlike productions forum. If you talk about Jews or incels they will ban you there are certain topics you're just not allowed to bring up. The question is should movements like mgtow be allowed to spread unchecked? Is it better that for our own good certain types of information are not allowed? What if a movement is entirely based on hate or paranoia? I don't know I'm asking. Consider it speculative discussion.

I just got my bivalent booster. I haven't subscribed to the vaccine conspiracy theories, however I respect people's right to openly debate the issue. Just one of many examples.
If you had the proper data and access to information I guarantee you 100% with a fully sane mind, You would not have taken that booster shot. 100% guarantee it. The reason you did, it’s because the information that you needed to make a rational decision about the vaccine is not provided to you unless you go dig very deep for it. And I’m not talking about dark web conspiracy theories. Talking about some of the greatest scientific minds in this country and people who work in the field of vaccines and immunity. Anyone who didn’t fit the narrative was silenced and these people have been found to have been more correct in the CDC and government combined.

I feel bad that you actually got another worthless shot.

The government calls free-speech absolute. Or at least in the founding fathers interpretation of it. And there’s a reason for that. When states like California pass laws against “hate speech and dangerous topics“. You can really apply that to literally everything. Think about it. I’m not opposed to gay marriage but let’s say I was, I get online and state my side why I’m against it. The government just shuts me down because it’s “hate speech“. If I feel it’s unfair for a transgender male To fight in an MMA fight against a biologically born woman because he’s gonna bash her face in, that also would be considered hate speech. My viewpoint on that would not be allowed. The list goes on and on.

If you apply almost any limitation to speech it’s beyond just a slippery slope. You are in fact dictating what you will allow to be said.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:14 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's just another issue to be taken up by Congress, and surely won't so long as Dems are in charge and the (social) media outlets veer left.
Democrats have proved themselves unworthy to ever be in charge of anything.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-app...ch-2022-09-16/

It’s sad that big tech wants to censor everyone who doesn’t want to be “woke.” Thank goodness we still have adults in the room to prevent it.
This is only for Texas - correct?

Old 09-17-2022, 05:21 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I can't imagine this will stand but you never know with this court, a company being unable to regulate it's own content? Next up newspapers and other media.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:41 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Plain and simple, the government does not look at big tech as a publisher of information, so the tech companies are NOT bound by the First Amendment.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act states very clearly: "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" The Internet is regulated like a common carrier, not a provider of information. If someone plots to kill me over the phone, I can look for the guy who's doing it, and maybe get a court order to tap his line--but I can't sue ATT for carrying the message.

Since Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, and the like are not regulated like information providers, they can host--or not host--almost any damn thing they want. You want to change that to force them to air specific right-wing views or anything else, like the old Fairness Doctrine did for television, then lobby Congress to get rid of 230, and a lot of Internet crap and misinformation would go away in a second. But that's not gonna happen. Too much money at stake for Big Tech.

So for now, you don't like what's happening online, your only choice is to find a platform you like. In laymen's terms: It's their game, so it's their rules.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
If you had the proper data and access to information I guarantee you 100% with a fully sane mind, You would not have taken that booster shot. 100% guarantee it. The reason you did, it’s because the information that you needed to make a rational decision about the vaccine is not provided to you unless you go dig very deep for it. And I’m not talking about dark web conspiracy theories. Talking about some of the greatest scientific minds in this country and people who work in the field of vaccines and immunity. Anyone who didn’t fit the narrative was silenced and these people have been found to have been more correct in the CDC and government combined.

I feel bad that you actually got another worthless shot.

The government calls free-speech absolute. Or at least in the founding fathers interpretation of it. And there’s a reason for that. When states like California pass laws against “hate speech and dangerous topics“. You can really apply that to literally everything. Think about it. I’m not opposed to gay marriage but let’s say I was, I get online and state my side why I’m against it. The government just shuts me down because it’s “hate speech“. If I feel it’s unfair for a transgender male To fight in an MMA fight against a biologically born woman because he’s gonna bash her face in, that also would be considered hate speech. My viewpoint on that would not be allowed. The list goes on and on.

If you apply almost any limitation to speech it’s beyond just a slippery slope. You are in fact dictating what you will allow to be said.
That is exactly the problem these tech companies are trying to address, posting false or inflammatory information. Where do you do to get proper data that would tell you not to get the booster shot, based on what medical organization. Who are these people that are "more correct" than the CDC.

Too many people searching the internet to reinforce their opinion then posting information from some third rate blogger as if it's gospel.

If you're looking for unregulated information, then head over to Reddit or Truth Social.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:57 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't imagine this will stand but you never know with this court, a company being unable to regulate it's own content? Next up newspapers and other media.
You need to read about the many court activities going on surrounding all this during the pandemic. I listen to a guy the other day on a podcast who sued Twitter and they settled. And now he’s suing the White House because the White House contacted Twitter and told Twitter to throw him off. And they did. Now he and his lawyers first went after Twitter but now they’re going after the White House itself. That is a clear violation of his first amendment rights. And Twitter actually apologized to him admitting that everything he posted has turned out to in fact be correct. Lol you guys really need to get out from behind MSNBC and CNN and research.

Yes from a technical viewpoint many of these companies are privately owned. But they do not function as a privately owned company. They can dictate the viewpoint of millions of people worldwide with the push of a button. And they’re following censorship guidelines from the federal government itself. I guarantee you the higher courts are going to start finding these companies are not allowed to play both sides of the fence like they’ve been doing.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
You need to read about the many court activities going on surrounding all this during the pandemic. I listen to a guy the other day on a podcast who sued Twitter and they settled. And now he’s suing the White House because the White House contacted Twitter and told Twitter to throw him off. And they did. Now he and his lawyers first went after Twitter but now they’re going after the White House itself. That is a clear violation of his first amendment rights. And Twitter actually apologized to him admitting that everything he posted has turned out to in fact be correct. Lol you guys really need to get out from behind MSNBC and CNN and research.

Yes from a technical viewpoint many of these companies are privately owned. But they do not function as a privately owned company. They can dictate the viewpoint of millions of people worldwide with the push of a button. And they’re following censorship guidelines from the federal government itself. I guarantee you the higher courts are going to start finding these companies are not allowed to play both sides of the fence like they’ve been doing.
Anyone can sue, I doubt that goes anywhere. We should be listening to experts not Facebook experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies