Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 12:30 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We are certainly taking more meds. Mainly because there is more we can usefully and safely do.

All meds have side effects. So benefits have to always be weighed and discussed. Of course some meds sometimes can cause more trouble than they are worth to the patient. Sometimes the patient has to accept the possibility of serious side effects in order to survive. Like with my wife and her stem cell transplant. She started with a 1 in 6 chance of dying from the treatment.

In most cases with most patients there are ways to treat resulting in useful benefits and low or minimal side effects. And that treatment could be meds, or could be some other avenue of therapy. Like surgery, diet, physical therapy, etc.
The US is the #1 country when it comes to prescription drugs.

Not always useful and safe though. IMHO lifestyle changes should be encouraged first before pills are handed out.

I'm in a retirement area and so many think popping that pill means they can continue to do what they did that got them there to begin with.

Anecdotal of course...I know 2 people that had to switch doctors because they didn't want pills right off the bat.
One was HBP and the other was high cholesterol.
Both found nutritionalists and changed their lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 12:35 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The US is the #1 country when it comes to prescription drugs.

Not always useful and safe though. IMHO lifestyle changes should be encouraged first before pills are handed out.

I'm in a retirement area and so many think popping that pill means they can continue to do what they did that got them there to begin with.

Anecdotal of course...I know 2 people that had to switch doctors because they didn't want pills right off the bat.
One was HBP and the other was high cholesterol.
Both found nutritionalists and changed their lifestyle.
Taking drugs seems easier than changing lifestyle. Easier for doctors to give drugs than try to convince patients to live differently.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:01 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Murder. The topic is deaths and lifespans.
The topic is excess deaths and the possible causes. Murder is not an unknown cause of death.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:18 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There could be many reasons for the increase in cancer. Artificial chemicals in food, air and water. Unhealthy lifestyles with no physical exercise. Refined carbohydrates.

But some types of cancer decreased because of less smoking.
Nothing more artificial than the Rx meds some people take daily.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
It sounds absurd because it is. In fact, it sets a new standard for absurdity on CD.
The one thing I have learned over the many years of my life is to never dismiss anything without due diligence. What you believe today may or may not be factual or the truth, but may only be a lie you keep believing.

If you were able to travel back in time 40 years, and tell people there would be a phone that you can put in your pocket that can take photos, record video, and store a terabyte of data, that operates on a battery that lasts 8 hours, they would have told you that you’re crazy, and how absurd that was.

But you really don’t need a time machine … just think how absurd it would seem just a few years ago that people would actually argue over which bathroom to use. Absurd? Absolutely. Is it happening? Yes indeed.

So, absurd isn’t synonymous with untrue. It’s only a measurement of separation between a perception and a suggestion.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:42 PM

4,545 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Nothing more artificial than the Rx meds some people take daily.

My recently passed mother was taking approximately 16 pills per day - blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid, heart burn medication, this, that, the other. Anytime she had any health issue they just ordered more pills.

My own doctor tried to give me statins when my cholesterol was just a tad high. I declined and controlled it through diet. That is when my husband and I became vegan. No issues since.

Today's doctors are no more than drug pushers.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I never said that no one's life is ever saved by the new medical technology and drugs. Just that it most definitely did NOT increase our lifespan from about 40. There were always healthy people who got old. Babies and children were likely to die, because of nature's unkind weeding out process. And young adults could die from accidents and infections.

In rural societies, everything was clean and the food was healthy. In early industrial cities, everything was filthy and life was short.

So it all depends. But modern medicine is NOT a major reason for better health or longevity.
Life expectancy as a species has not greatly extended in the era of modern medicine. The percentage of people living to the typical life expectancy has increased, which has much more to do with modern sanitation, greater access to clean water, better nutrition, and less hazardous living/working conditions.

Wealthier people of the past lived long lives, while the poorer lived much shorter lifespans.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:48 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post

Today's doctors are no more than drug pushers.
They really don't know how to do anything else. If you have a problem it's either a drug or confused look. Unfortunately, we didn't regulate our pharmaceutical industry and this is what we have become. So sorry for your mother, and good on for you not taking statins, one of the largest scams in medical history.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The vaccines are not contributing to excess deaths. However, failure to take vaccines by a third of the US population is.
That’s not true. The data now PROVES that the vaccinated are dying at far higher rates than the unvaccinated.

That is no longer speculation. It’s a fact.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The Covid 19 disease has killed millions. Anyone older or with high medical risks that died from Covid 19, died because they were susceptible and Covid 19 put them over the top. Meaning the immediate cause of death. If Covid 19 never happened, most of these people would still be alive today.
Not true. There is a growing body of evidence that shows Covid Medical Protocols killed more people than the disease itself. There are a multitude of lawsuits, backed by science, which are based on that premise.

Compelling evidence leads to the conclusion that Remdesivir was more deadly than the disease, and that systematic efforts to prevent the use of therapeutics like Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine were responsible for the vast majority of otherwise preventable deaths.

It was murder by medical malfeasance, motivated primarily by money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies