Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 01:33 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This is going to be controversial and unpopular.

Link to page

Thinking of how much the health implications of this are costing the economy, should this be implemented in the US and other countries with different values perhaps?

On the page of that link, there are several strange and possibly ridiculous laws from the USA already.
So many high school and most college and pro football players would be penalized, also many wrestlers. I would have been when I was working and needed bulk to carry 300 lb rolls of carpet by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 01:33 PM

39,194 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Per mile driven motorcycles are vastly more dangerous than cars. I don't have access to any figures but read one time that per mile motorcycles are not quite 40x more deadly.
well I like riding my motorcycle.

problem is, I am fit, young (relatively speaking), healthy. Should I pay more health insurance simply because I ride a motorcycle?

What's next? This is exactly why I don't think it is fair to ask overweight people to pay more health insurance. Personally, I think people who are overly sensitive tend to have more health problems, but who am I to tell them to pay more health insurance> lol

Old 09-19-2022, 01:36 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
This is definitely government overreach. But I'm perfectly fine with health insurance companies charging higher premiums to overweight and obese people.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:42 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The simple answer that people are MISSING as usual is that it is a combination of deleterious factors:

1) Modern Wheat (In food supply since 1985). Strongly associated with appetite stimulation, weight gain, brain fog, joint pain, and many other related problems.

2) High Fructose Corn Syrup (In many food items as well as beverages). The body does not process the fake sugar substitute well, so results in more consumption and weight gain.

3) Soy and Soy Derivates (Does not need to be in our food supply at all).

I do a few different things for a living including owning a couple of farms and a ranch.

I'm skeptical per 1. Some people don't deal with wheat well. Norman Borlaug is a hero not a goat. Also ancient wheat varietals were subject to all sorts of issues bred away or mostly away by modern wheat. IOW we couldn't possibly grow enough ancient wheat varieties to feed the world/meet modern demand.

Agree with 2.

If 3 meant anything Argentines would be keeling over dead by 20/30yo.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Women naturally have more body fat than men as well. Menopausal women tend to add inches in the waist, even without gaining weight.

BMI, weight, waist measurements -- none of it is a black and white indication of good or bad health.
Right. My point is BMI shows more, "false negative" results per men than women.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well I like riding my motorcycle.

problem is, I am fit, young (relatively speaking), healthy. Should I pay more health insurance simply because I ride a motorcycle?

What's next? This is exactly why I don't think it is fair to ask overweight people to pay more health insurance. Personally, I think people who are overly sensitive tend to have more health problems, but who am I to tell them to pay more health insurance> lol
Across the private sector overweight and obese people very often do pay more for health insurance and have for several years. Lots of companies force, "Wellness Programs" that ultimately send people to the doc. or a clinic for biometric screening and fat/large-waisted/poor blood chemistry/poor BP people get dinged. My wife's company has done this for at least 6-8 years now.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I was watching something completely unrelated to this topic but it offered some (astonishing) facts I didn't know about

- Americans spend 10% of their disposable income on fast food
- Processed foods made up 70% of the American diet
- Average American eats 130lbs of sugar a year

Unbelievable.
130 pounds of sugar.........fug!

Old 09-19-2022, 01:55 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
No, I would not agree to that, and I am not obese. There is more than one body type in our country for one thing, not sure about Japan.

For the one that thinks those under a certain set max limit should get an insurance discount, well, the smokers, the dopers, those with eating disorders........... Yeah, that isn't practical now is it?

I also don't agree with it applying to Medicaid and Medicare recipients, and not others either. We all end up paying for the people who don't put any work into being healthy, whether it is through Medicaid and Medicare or something else. Everyone pays more when someone else cannot pay.

Also, complaining about the costs of those who are determined to have too big of waist line, while not standing against millions of illegal aliens and asylum seekers storming into our country and permitted to stay...............that is costing a lot more! Obese people have a slightly shorter lifespan also, and I suspect as they become more and more obese, seriously, I am in shock when I see younger people waddling around at probably twice what they should weight, and each decade they have gotten bigger............ When you think you can do anything you want without consequences.................

Now, when it comes to kids, if the child is obese, the parents need to get a visit from Child Protective Services, and an education about diet, exercise and health. The boy next door is 12 years old and must weigh over 200 lbs............. I have seen many kids waddling at the school.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:56 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,852,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Women naturally have more body fat than men as well. Menopausal women tend to add inches in the waist, even without gaining weight.

BMI, weight, waist measurements -- none of it is a black and white indication of good or bad health.

Women do have more body fat than men, and basically cannot reduce their body fat levels to those of elite fitness males without complications.

However, if I am a doctor, and I have appointments with the following:

Woman #1: BMI of 39
Woman #2: Weight of 211 lbs
Woman #3: Waist circumference of 48"

All of these numbers are indicators of health, but not predictors. However, all of them are undesirable measurements, especially as a person ages. No doctor will ever recommend putting on weight as you age, unless you are grossly underweight at that moment.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,496 times
Good luck enforcing it! To be perfectly fair, good health food is expensive! Often times it’s cheaper to roll up to McDonalds and order your meal. I don’t participate but I can’t blame others that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies