Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:31 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I always wondered if fat people cost insurances anything more, I mean we all die, and fat people die sooner. So naively I'd expect them to cost insurance companies less.

But incentives to be skinnier are good.
The do likely die sooner. But that is likely because they have all sorts of health issues that are being treated. I am 58 and like I said no medical issues. So my medical insurance company is doing well with my policy so far. Outside of a spider bite and covid I have never been to the ER. And those were both treated and released the same day.

But I know people my age that having been dealing with diabetes, heart issues, etc for more than a decade. Because they don't exercise and are obese. And that will be the case until they die. That has to be a big drain on insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 08:35 AM

113 posts, read 80,293 times
I doubt this would ever happen.

The profits made from junk-food, diet products, medicaments and fat people’s clothing, requires obesity to remain a staple in this country.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:39 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The do likely die sooner. But that is likely because they have all sorts of health issues that are being treated. I am 58 and like I said no medical issues. So my medical insurance company is doing well with my policy so far. Outside of a spider bite and covid I have never been to the ER. And those were both treated and released the same day.

But I know people my age that having been dealing with diabetes, heart issues, etc for more than a decade. Because they don't exercise and are obese. And that will be the case until they die. That has to be a big drain on insurance companies.
I'm 55, no medical issues, and I've been to the ER but only for injuries (motorcycle wreck, some sports injuries) so I guess my insurance isn't so happy with me lol. But I've never been sick with anything that even remotely required ER attention.

But all our days come eventually. Healthy people live long enough to get cancer, and then they're in and out of hospitals taking very expensive medication (that usually doesn't work lol).

It would be interesting to research this, I think what's going on, is when you turn 65, you become eligible for medicare which is then used as a primary or supplementary insurance. People who are obese tend to experience health problems way before then, burdening their private insurer whereas people who are healthier tend to develop health problems later when medicare can pick up the slack.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:39 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
i'm 6'4, 180-190lbs, depending on the day I weigh. My waist is 32. Some cuts, I can wear 30. It's not government sponsored anorexia.

While someone much taller than me might have the argument they can have a larger waist, the average person doesn't.

Of course, what they should do is shoulder/waist ratio.
I was a 34" waist when I was underweight, and I'm still a 34" waist now that I'm normal weight.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:44 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Hmm. A better law would be to require students to actually pass proficiency exams in reading and math. Right now the country is made up of a whole lot of people that are both fat and dumb.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:47 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
The Japanese have centuries of being dependent on the authoritative bodies telling them how to live. It's safe to say that taking orders and following government mandates to the letter with zeal is in their DNA. Also the average Japanese man is around 5'8 with shorter being common. Women around 5'2-4 or so. And as has been mentioned their diet is heavy in fish fowl and vegetables. Pretty healthy by US standards. So of course their obesity rates are pretty low.

They are also inured to being told how every aspect of their lives will be run. Right down to their waist size. This won't fly in the US. I can see hundreds of millions of middle fingers being given to such government controls. Interestingly Japanese culture has a couple safety valves built in for all that strict adherence to mandates. One of those is drinking and and getting drunk.

What someone says or does while drunk is not to be taken seriously and otherwise inexcusable speech and behavior will be overlooked. And that tolerance is heavily used. There's a reason the Japanese like their booze so much. They can vent and blow off steam and say and do things they want to do while sober but can't. So knock back a gallon of sake and let rip. It's an odd way to help balance things out but it works for them I guess.

There's a serious downside to such a strict culture that holds its citizens to such high standards in most every aspect of their lives as well. Failure to meet standards is highly stigmatized and brings great shame. There's a reason why the suicide rate is through the roof in Japan. I think the US is better off not adopting Japanese rules.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Really? I'm not even reading the replies to this drivel. If you want to live in a place where the all-knowing government controls you, be my guest and GTFO of here. This is not the plac.

Those useless pieces of trash in Washington already control too much and many sheep in this country believe because those morons were elected that they know all. They know nothing more than anybody else and really, because every one of them has been pampered all their life they have no clue in how the world operates.

What is really scary is that many need to be told what to do and feel because they can't decide anything for themselves that there should be a law requiring all others to be told what to do.

Read up on some history, if it is still available to read up on and not been "cancelled" and you will find that country's fail when the government goes too far.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:53 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
I have a better idea, eliminate the corporations producing junk and processed food; beginning with fast food.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:55 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Really? I'm not even reading the replies to this drivel. If you want to live in a place where the all-knowing government controls you, be my guest and GTFO of here. This is not the plac.

Well the OP certainly is, PRC=Peoples' Republic of China.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:56 AM

267 posts, read 91,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This is going to be controversial and unpopular.

Link to page

Thinking of how much the health implications of this are costing the economy, should this be implemented in the US and other countries with different values perhaps?

On the page of that link, there are several strange and possibly ridiculous laws from the USA already.
Along with outlawing cigarettes, alcohol, ice cream etc
Also we need to have mandatory morning physical fitness training.
Speed limit needs to be lowered and unnecessary car trips need to restricted. Certainly motorcycles and bicycles should be removed from society.
Dangerous sports such as football, baseball, skiing, surfing etc should be outlawed.
I can think of many more.
I hope big brother doesn’t see the super big gulp I got on the way to work this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies