Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 07:47 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I have thought that there are fewer people posting on C-D these days, but I am basing this on the number of threads being started in P&OC. Now I might be wrong about this -- I certainly did not make a study of this, lol -- but it seemed that a year ago, the threads moved off the "front" page of P&OC quite rapidly, but now it seems to me that many threads stay on the front page for a much longer time, even a couple of weeks However, for the past year or so, it also seems to me that most threads now are just rehashes of the same old subjects (such as the alleged 2020 election fraud Biden's dementia). Of course, there have always been subjects that don't go away (immigration, abortion, the current POTUS, etc.), but I am wondering if people are just getting bored with talking about the same old subjects?

I was willing to think that maybe there just isn't any really new news, and people have left C-D because it is just the same old, same old, but I do agree that there are a great many new posters and most of their posts, imo, are just garbage written mostly by people who are not very educated or intelligent, to say the least. Honestly, my Ignore list is longer now than the 50 or so people who post frequently whose posts I actually find interesting and worth reading (even if I don't agree with them). As long as people are civil and can write an intelligent post, that I all I really care about -- but it is amazing to me how many people are neither civil nor intelligent, and how many people are both unintelligent and rude.

(Btw, I do not approve of ANY kind of censorship on any social media sites, although my preference would be that the standards would be "PG-13". I will also say that if someone regularly posted a profanity-laced post filled with hate, that poster would immediately be put on my Ignore list.)

Last edited by katharsis; 09-21-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:49 AM

7,360 posts, read 3,527,265 times
reddit is completely run amok in leftistism. i have noticed on r/politics they pay no attention to Biden and it’s just a republican bashing fest. you get banned if you have a conservative opinion or even moderate opinion. with the amount of “members” (8 million give or take with 30something thousand online at any given moments) on that sub, you would think there would be more lively debate but comments only barely reach high numbers. my conclusion to the observation is people are done with the koolaid drinking and bots and getting downvoted to oblivion

Old 09-22-2022, 07:03 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
reddit is completely run amok in leftistism. i have noticed on r/politics they pay no attention to Biden and it’s just a republican bashing fest. you get banned if you have a conservative opinion or even moderate opinion. with the amount of “members” (8 million give or take with 30something thousand online at any given moments) on that sub, you would think there would be more lively debate but comments only barely reach high numbers. my conclusion to the observation is people are done with the koolaid drinking and bots and getting downvoted to oblivion
Around 2016 reddit politics went left by the end of the DNC convention.. I think it started with professional trolls/David Brock's organization which all over at this point. The WEF said a year ago they wanted professional trolls to message their politics.Wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese or Russians are planting trolls to stir things up. Problem is many only get their news from one site which means they get biased news or opinion.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:53 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Its interesting it appears almost all social media was like Reddit until very recently, since they were mostly based in liberal or progressive areas of the country, however it appears most social media outside reddit has suddenly shifted towards the right in late 2010s particularly post 2020. Ie facebook, Quora, and some others. One can see how much posters flame Britney G who was insulted in Quora for disrespecting the US pledge of allegiance and flag and says now gets what she deserves, without a fact check that the issue was political between Russia and the US as penalties for her "crime" based on Russian law only prescribes one month maximum.

But reddit still have a lot of posters defending big corporations as well as gig companies though with very rude condescending and repeated insults.

Though it doesn't matter nowadays posters are either the extreme left or right or have an agenda to defend. Most people like the ants in a bugs life have no desire to place themselves in the middle of the fight.

I am thinking that the Left trolls now finds they won the fight already to control main stream media and policymaking, particularly post COVID and green new deal and now moves on to write new agendas than to police the internet, and are now strategically moving their troops elsewhere particularly now that Trump's been replaced by Biden. But the right finds the opportunity to try to regain their ground by taking over social media that the left pulled out of.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting it appears almost all social media was like Reddit until very recently, since they were mostly based in liberal or progressive areas of the country, however it appears most social media outside reddit has suddenly shifted towards the right in late 2010s particularly post 2020. Ie facebook, Quora, and some others. One can see how much posters flame Britney G who was insulted in Quora for disrespecting the US pledge of allegiance and flag and says now gets what she deserves, without a fact check that the issue was political between Russia and the US as penalties for her "crime" based on Russian law only prescribes one month maximum.

But reddit still have a lot of posters defending big corporations as well as gig companies though with very rude condescending and repeated insults.

Though it doesn't matter nowadays posters are either the extreme left or right or have an agenda to defend. Most people like the ants in a bugs life have no desire to place themselves in the middle of the fight.

I am thinking that the Left trolls now finds they won the fight already to control main stream media and policymaking, particularly post COVID and green new deal and now moves on to write new agendas than to police the internet, and are now strategically moving their troops elsewhere particularly now that Trump's been replaced by Biden. But the right finds the opportunity to try to regain their ground by taking over social media that the left pulled out of.
I disagree very strongly with the bolded above. I am not unusual in that some of my views are liberal and some of them are conservative*, and there are very few issues that I am "livid" about (vaccine mandates is the only one that comes to mind, in fact).

And as far as "being conservative on some issues and liberal on others, judging from the literally thousands of P&OC posts I have read over the years, many posters are not entirely liberal OR entirely conservative, either.

*I hold the conservative view on about 70% and the liberal view on about 30% of the major issues. And I am an agnostic and definitely NOT a Trumper, btw.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:20 PM

7,360 posts, read 3,527,265 times
r/politics Got so ridiculous in terms of the left-wing propaganda it became pointless to even post there because anything right of vox would be down voted into oblivion. If you look at the number of members on that sub Reddit and look at the actual number of replies to posts there’s a huge discrepancy.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:25 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Wanna name names?
Some change names every few hours, minutes after being banned.

The mods are on top of it but it's a constant whack-a-troll.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:55 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I disagree very strongly with the bolded above. I am not unusual in that some of my views are liberal and some of them are conservative*, and there are very few issues that I am "livid" about (vaccine mandates is the only one that comes to mind, in fact).

And as far as "being conservative on some issues and liberal on others, judging from the literally thousands of P&OC posts I have read over the years, many posters are not entirely liberal OR entirely conservative, either.

*I hold the conservative view on about 70% and the liberal view on about 30% of the major issues. And I am an agnostic and definitely NOT a Trumper, btw.
Me too however I am saying that a good number of posters left standing on any social media seems to be those who may be paid or volunteer many civilian posters had long disappeared that is if they were not banned or restricted. The issue is those defenders are quick to report anyone who hurt their agenda to the mods to take negative action towards their accounts or at least make sure shoot their views down in flames.
Most people I know are pulling out of electronic communications in droves and are afraid of offending people when talking with one another, silence became golden these days.

Using one example I noticed used to be a very active community on Haunted attractions on facebook and elsewhere but most posters and facebook friends formed over there are gone. I understand this fad seems to be passing away though. As of 2022 Only a few of such attractions left standing in California these days.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Me too however I am saying that a good number of posters left standing on any social media seems to be those who may be paid or volunteer many civilian posters had long disappeared that is if they were not banned or restricted. The issue is those defenders are quick to report anyone who hurt their agenda to the mods to take negative action towards their accounts or at least make sure shoot their views down in flames.
Most people I know are pulling out of electronic communications in droves and are afraid of offending people when talking with one another, silence became golden these days.

Using one example I noticed used to be a very active community on Haunted attractions on facebook and elsewhere but most posters and facebook friends formed over there are gone. I understand this fad seems to be passing away though. As of 2022 Only a few of such attractions left standing in California these days.
Thanks for further explaining what you meant.

And as I posted before, it does seem to me that there are not as many active "regular" posters now as there was even a year ago.

I wonder what drove them away, but I do have a couple of theories based on my own experience --

1) They were tired of being insulted by people who disagreed with them
2) They were tired of getting into debate only to have the thread closed or even deleted

Also, another possibility is some new posters were 'crushed' by more educated and intelligent posters to the point that they were intimidated from posting again.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:56 AM

19,713 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I've been asking this for years - how can I get paid to troll????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies