Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 03:45 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times

Advertisements

Its interesting that most people in my circle I know no longer use any social media anymore maybe with exception of friend circle communicators ie Whatsapp, Wechat, Line, etc. Even the ones in my own neighborhood won't check the neighborhood page anymore and any questions on there by a neighbor often is left unread by most. This is sharp contrast to a few years ago when dozens of responses would happen in a day.

I know understand including this one as well as Quora and Reddit and other Q&A or discussion websites, as well as social media ie Facebook it appears the only posters left are those pushing an agenda, likely its their job or volunteer position often for a special interest group or to defend a corporate company from any negative posts. Or fighting for their partisan agendas. People find they are always caught in cross fire from these broken records who make no sense what so ever.

I.e on Reddit there would be many screennames who post fake posts who brag about how much they make i.e hundreds a day via a gig app but people who actually do it would know that is bs. as that is highly once in a blue moon, gig apps hardly pay minimum wage for most after costs, fees, and taxes are accounted Or heavily defend a gig app(s) from any one who dare complain about it. I mean Those who make good money would not likely brag about it as it would cause everyone to try to work in his market and end his good earning streak.

These days if one posts something on reddit that is really factual or not an interest to special interests it would not receive any replies at all. As everyone with common sense that agrees with it won't bother anymore. Its no use just as we can't fight corrupt city hall. Same reason people don't attend city council or HOA meetings anymore unless they are part of a strong special interest group who have a good chance of getting their way. As its otherwise a complete waste of efforts.

Edit: same goes with CD as well. A post that is too truthful and not leaning one side or the other would likely be ignored completely. Or something that isn't getting debated as well.
For other posts its always a contest between the same/similar screennames over and over. Sometimes they do close their accounts and start over as another though.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-19-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 03:46 PM

21,929 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I have said for years there are paid posters on these sites. Their posts are so nonsensical that that's the only explanation. I see them on here as well.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:52 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,857 times
What's your age group? Older generations still use Facebook. My generation clings to LinkedIn, which is rapidly becoming just as much a sewer as Facebook. My kids use Discord and, to some extent, Instagram. They are not fans of Tiktok, but they'd tell you that they're outliers.

Flowing Data has a really nice graphic depicting social media use by age group, divided into 18-29, 30-49, 50-65, and 65+. Youtube is the winner in every group except 65+.

[URL="https://flowingdata.com/2022/04/13/social-media-usage-by-age/"]Social Media Use By Age[/URL]

If there's a lesson to be learned, it's to beware of Youtube. Its popularity across age groups makes it a prime target for misinformation. Of note, City-Data doesn't crack the top 10 in any age group.

Last edited by kj1065; 09-19-2022 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 03:56 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
fwiw, there has been a huge uptick in trolls here over the past few months. Especially ones that immediately sign up again moments after being banned.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:02 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
I also notice the lean on social media is changing as well. I guess since Biden won the special interests on Social media who lean progressive don't feel they need to police the forums as hard thus they cooled it with their posts and for the first time in social media we hear more of the other side. They are now focused on getting new agendas pushed on the people without heavily defending it on social media online. But they still do i.e for the mandatory EV changeover but not as heavily swarming it as in the past. Younger people who don't work/volunteer for special interests seem to have moved away from social media alot two years after the pandemic. They barely even respond to texts anymore. Exchanging social media or contacts just isn't a kewl thing to do anymore. Some can go through summer camp without ever doing so not even phone numbers with their camp or staff mates.

I guess normal people are tired of seeing the cesspole of special interest trolls everytime they visit a social media site. And are afraid their new friend is one as well or an undercover spy.

Edit: Also the learning of how much info Social media shares with the government has people worried as well. This as well as how some governments decides to prosecute for some bs charges via just evidence from social cameras or dashcams uploaded on social media not just CCTVs gives the fear of dystopian surveillance which leads people to close their accounts as well.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I also notice the lean on social media is changing as well. I guess since Biden won the special interests on Social media who lean progressive don't feel they need to police the forums as hard thus they cooled it with their posts and for the first time in social media we hear more of the other side. They are now focused on getting new agendas pushed on the people without heavily defending it on social media online. But they still do i.e for the mandatory EV changeover but not as heavily swarming it as in the past. Younger people who don't work/volunteer for special interests seem to have moved away from social media alot two years after the pandemic. They barely even respond to texts anymore. Exchanging social media or contacts just isn't a kewl thing to do anymore. Some can go through summer camp without ever doing so not even phone numbers with their camp or staff mates.

I guess normal people are tired of seeing the cesspole of special interest trolls everytime they visit a social media site. And are afraid their new friend is one as well or an undercover spy.
That kids don't text doesn't mean they're not communicating with each other. Texting is what you do with your grandparents not your peers, at least for the youngest generation. My immediate family uses Groupme rather than texting for chatting. My youngest also uses Groupme at college among his classmates, and he uses Discord to keep up with his friends, which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. (He feels the same way about City-Data, and, in all honesty, he probably has a point.) That you don't know any of this means you're out of the loop. Congratulations on being old and uncool, like me.

Last edited by kj1065; 09-19-2022 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 06:41 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
fwiw, there has been a huge uptick in trolls here over the past few months. Especially ones that immediately sign up again moments after being banned.
I noticed that also. I figured it was because of midterms.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Multiple militaries across the world have admitted that they have an online social media manipulation force. They are you know, those people who call you a conspiracy theorist when you pointed this out because it was obvious.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I noticed that also. I figured it was because of midterms.
Wanna name names?

Old 09-19-2022, 06:59 PM

21,123 posts, read 19,707,707 times
You mean you all aren't being paid millions by foreign governments to sway public opinion like I am?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies