Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 05:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 2,846,987 times

Advertisements

It only soared an inch, though!

I did not realize inflation was measured with a ruler!

Old 09-19-2022, 06:01 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Inflation is over. Time to start worrying (and posting) about deflation.
Umm... prices in August 2022 averaged 8.3% higher than prices for the same items a year earlier, in August 2021.

But, since you say inflation is over, next time I find a price higher than what it was a year ago, can I send you a bill for the difference?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:05 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 8 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
It seems like across multiple channels, there's rarely a good framing. Seems like there would be a few components, each of which can be dug into deeper:
1. Commodities. What's the supply and demand? Is there less oil available (e.g. due to geopolitics). Is demand higher? E.g. coming out of lockdown? But maybe the coming out of lockdown should be accounted for already. Regardless, how is aggregate demand trending vs. supply? Notably, giving everyone $1000 wouldn't itself increase the supply of oil; people would just have more money to compete for existing oil (but, if a few of those people pooled $10 million into producing more oil, then that complicates things)

2. Currency. Mostly simple: more printing devalues existing notes. Attention to mechanics is important: if the liquidity initially goes to banks, for example, that won't automatically raise food prices. If the recipients deploy it to farmland or real estate, then prices would go up in those sectors.

3. Interest rates. If mortgage rates of 5% vs. 3% affects demand, then higher rates would suppress demand for that asset. This would need to be compared with the effects of #2. There's also a relation to #1, since e.g. financing new oil sources would be marginally hindered if interest rates are higher.

4. Labor. Holding out for money will likely result in either A: companies raising prices, contributing to inflation, or B: companies extracting less profit from labor. One can imagine that B would be described as horrible and must be dealt with by all means. Maybe A as well. Raising interest rates should slow down corporate capital investments, slowing down new job creation, or even leading to job losses - e.g. company sees existing debt is more expensive, and thus trims headcount. I'd wonder if limiting immigration likely boosts bargaining power and contribute to a share of inflation (not judging either way at present).

Hmm, writing it out, I see there is a bit of a challenge in laying it plainly. But the large networks with their abundant experts should be doing a better version of the above, if there's an interest in getting to the bottom of things. I'm very happy to receive critique on any of this; my agenda is simply to improve my understanding of things (and any attempts to mislead may be dealt with accordingly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
It only soared an inch, though!
I did not realize inflation was measured with a ruler!
As a mostly-gentleman, I'll make no comment on this at present

Old 09-19-2022, 09:03 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Only if you are believe the economy is in a moderate to severe recession. But Biden insists we are not going through a recession.

There would be hyperinflation, not a collapse. Easiest way to pay off that much money is to pay it with cheaper dollars.
This is unusual with low unemployment, corporations faring well and inflation above 8%. I expect an interest rate increase but need to wait a few months to see where this is headed.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:37 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Only if you are believe the economy is in a moderate to severe recession. But Biden insists we are not going through a recession.

There would be hyperinflation, not a collapse. Easiest way to pay off that much money is to pay it with cheaper dollars.
Easiest would have been to avoid the wasteful debt to begin with.

Bad choices in "leaders" cause this.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
There isn’t a magic bullet for inflation. It is quite simple to start and extremely challenging to stop. Governments will continue to introduce new aid initiatives that fuel inflationary pressures if they have a financial motive to grow their debt.

https://www.dlacalle.com/en/core-inf...-sales-weaken/
lol Spoken like a true economic amateur. Quit printing up money and keeping the interest rate artificially low. You know who says that? The ones who have been correct on the economy. You know who says what you posted? The ones who grow government and are always wrong.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:55 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Inflation is over. Time to start worrying (and posting) about deflation.

Inflation is over when it is gone.
8.3% is not over not to mention the 13.1% at the grocery store in the here and now.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:45 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Easiest way to pay off that much money is to pay it with cheaper dollars.
Bingo. Six months into the pandemic, we started house shopping. It was obvious two years ago that we were going to see this. You can't shut down 20% of the economy for months and not see an impact from that, and nobody's been doing anything about it since.

What's happening now fits perfectly with the Great Reset agenda. It's the controlled demolition of our economy, which is necessary to move the agenda forward. Whether you believe it's intentional or not, it is what it is. Add in that Biden adopted the pre-existing slogan of the Great Reset during his campaign - Build Back Better - and it becomes kind of obvious that it's all on purpose.

Anyway, yes, it's better to pay off debt with cheap dollars than expensive ones. We bought a house with land, a new roof, solar, a tractor and a TON of indoor and outdoor gardening equipment. Our house payment is already only about half of what an average NYC apartment rents for and will only go down, relatively speaking.

As for inflation, we started our business over 14 years ago. We've added service offerings but we've never raised our prices. In 14 years. We're going to have to do that this year, due purely to inflation. We really should've raised them earlier just to keep pace with our competitors, but we didn't need to, and I'm not the kind of guy who just takes as much as he can get.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's not all that easy to start. You just have to shut down fossil fuels and spend like a drunken sailor. No president in 40 years did it until Biden.
I feel it is rather a case of severe dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies