Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 11:31 PM

24,459 posts, read 9,322,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
They were fooled by environmentalist propaganda surrounding the Chernobyl incident and more recently Fukushima.

It really is that simple
Correct. It aligns with the progressive stance of "save planet earth, save the trees, and control the weather."

Putin, ironically, showed how big of a mistake it was to villainize nuclear power.

All of Europe has basically ended their nuclear power destruction plans and reversed course now hoping to have their own nuclear power.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:42 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It seems like a really good option. But it seems like the left is bent on stopping nuclear power, why?

I found this on Axios from 2017:

The left's nuclear problem
There were sure enough leftists, pro-environmentalists or whatever they were to put a stop to the Black Fox Nuclear Plant from being built in Oklahoma. Can nuclear plants be built tornado proof? If only the partial meltdown at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania never happened, maybe Black Fox would have been built. Also, the Chernobyl disaster hasn't helped things. I don't think one has to be leftist to be against building new nuclear power plants. Conservatives may not like how expensive they are to build just to heat up water.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-20-2022 at 01:59 AM..

Old 09-20-2022, 02:01 AM

23,667 posts, read 23,987,722 times
The Left is anti-human, that's why.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:51 AM

7,252 posts, read 3,449,145 times
the united states should be investing into small core reactor r&d instead of solar, wind, and ev charging stations. we need a real energy solution and it isn’t electric cars or banning gas stoves.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:53 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,180,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Pick your poison. I think that we will have to get more energy from nuclear power and other non carbon energy sources. I don't like it but what's happening to our planet's climate due to increased CO2 is even worse. I think that people who are still steadfast in their opposition to nuclear power haven't thought through the situation we now find ourselves in.
You have no idea, and neither to do I, if the planet is warming from fossil fuel burning, or if it is warming naturally. Remember that last ice age we came out of, without any help from people burning anything into the atmosphere.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:29 AM

7,772 posts, read 3,363,799 times
Why is the left so against nuclear power?

Because they are unwitting tools of big oil.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:31 AM

10,502 posts, read 4,320,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
And yet we hear all the whining about liberal college professors. :wtf: ??

yeah, in gender studies, oppression studies, spells and hexes and so forth.

everyone had to take a couple 'liberal arts' courses to be 'well rounded'. you didnt learn anything, you just parrot back their BS and take the A.

that is not to say a liberal arts education from liberal arts profs has zero value....it is great preparatory work for a career folding sweaters at Buckle.

when we achieve 'star trek' there will be time and ability for people to wander around wondering what Keats was really whining about over tea and wine at some cafe. But everyone is telling me stuff costs too much, no one is willing to work, no one is getting an education and BLM gangs are roaming the streets shooting everyone they can aim at. If any part of this is true we need a more pragmatic approach.

so next time you climb into an aluminum and carbon fiber tube to be launched into the air 35000 feet up at 600mph, take heart that exactly zero 'liberal arts professors' had jack to do with that magic except possible decide what color to paint the seats.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:33 AM

9,428 posts, read 4,282,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
People on the left don't have a science education. They are scientifically illiterate.
This explains quite a few things Leftists believe.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:35 AM

9,428 posts, read 4,282,622 times
Quote:
That is a silly answer.
Just because you don't like it (and it possibly hits a little close to home), doesn't mean its silly. It's simply not possible to hold some of the positions held by Leftists if one has had even the most basic exposure to science.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:36 AM

19,157 posts, read 16,976,197 times
Quote:
It seems like a really good option. But it seems like the left is bent on stopping nuclear power, why?

I found this on Axios from 2017:

The left's nuclear problem
Reading the article 1 of the 3 quoted is a Republican and all 3 mention the need for a safe disposal option, what's wrong with that? You say the left but reading through it it is Republicans that won't support a bill that "boosting advanced nuclear technologies and helping keep open existing reactors facing economic challenges".

Of course this is 5 years ago and views have continued to evolve but with Chernobyl and Fukushima always fresh in people minds on both sides it will continue to be an uphill battle to garner support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.