Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 11:55 PM

12,857 posts, read 7,066,960 times

Advertisements

HB813 if passed would have a total ban making abortions illegal for any reason even to save the life of the mother, rape incest, fetal deformation all 100% illegal punishable by prison time. Fertility treatment, contraception such as Plan b would be banned.

Only 4 woman spoke against the bill but in the end, only one man and one woman, an Independent and a Democrat, voted against it in committee. Seven men on the committee, all Republicans, voted in favor of the bill, moving it one step closer to becoming law.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/polit...nvs/index.html

This would take the state back to the 19th century essentially.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,520,529 times
Very few countries in the world literally ban all abortion. About all that do you wouldn't want to try to live in, such as Haiti. There, up to life in prison is possible for the woman or doctor. Despite the fact that it is illegal, abortions happen in Haiti, anyway, with doctors complaining about serious complications, due to botched illegal abortions. Yet, this is what Republicans in Louisiana want to bring about. In Oklahoma, not even Republicans there wanted to pass something this far out extreme. As I see it, it's Louisiana Republicans way of getting great revenge against women who get illegal abortions.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-21-2022 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 AM

18,649 posts, read 7,495,930 times
Don't like it? Vote them out of office. Should be a lot easier than trying to vote a U.S. Senator or Representative out of office, since it's only a state law.

Have you started your campaign in Louisiana to persuade enough people to vote them out? How's it going?

Or do you just sit at your keyboard crying, without doing anything about it?

BTW, if a majority of voters in Louisiana want their abortion laws to be this way, who are you to object? Move to some other state where the laws are more like what you want. Or are you against democracy?

Old 09-21-2022, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Don't like it? Vote them out of office. Should be a lot easier than trying to vote a U.S. Senator or Representative out of office, since it's only a state law.

Have you started your campaign in Louisiana to persuade enough people to vote them out? How's it going?

BTW, if a majority of voters in Louisiana want their abortion laws to be this way, who are you to object? Move to some other state where the laws are more like what you want. Or are you against democracy?
Like Texas, Louisiana does not allow citizens to petition the state to vote yes or no on any issue. After what happened in Kansas, Louisiana state Republicans sure won't let citizens vote in any way on abortion. That is denying democracy!

Old 09-21-2022, 12:50 AM

18,649 posts, read 7,495,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Like Texas, Louisiana does not allow citizens to petition the state to vote yes or no on any issue. After what happened in Kansas, Louisiana state Republicans sure won't let citizens vote in any way on abortion. That is denying democracy!
I didn't suggest that citizens would be allowed to vote directly on abortion.

I suggested they vote on whether they wanted those particular state officials to remain in office.

But you knew that. You're just trying to change the subject.

Voting on what people you want to represent you, is in fact "representative democracy". aka a "republic".

If a majority of Louisiana citizens want the present slate of officials to remain in office, and you want them out but don't want to do anything to persuade voters to give them the boot, then you are against (representative) democracy, aren't you?

Old 09-21-2022, 01:18 AM

6,045 posts, read 2,639,924 times
Just more Republicans acting like their Taliban counterparts what else is new?

Old 09-21-2022, 01:36 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,389,208 times
Quote:

I, like millions of other women, am against states having any say so in violating the civil rights of women.

I don't know anyone sitting at their computer crying lol. Women are busy registering to vote, identifying everyone at every level who needs to be voted out and sending money to make that happen in states they don't vote in.

Why would we move. That is ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
I didn't suggest that citizens would be allowed to vote directly on abortion.

I suggested they vote on whether they wanted those particular state officials to remain in office.

But you knew that. You're just trying to change the subject.

Voting on what people you want to represent you, is in fact "representative democracy". aka a "republic".

If a majority of Louisiana citizens want the present slate of officials to remain in office, and you want them out but don't want to do anything to persuade voters to give them the boot, then you are against (representative) democracy, aren't you?
No, not at all, since I'm not registered to vote in Louisiana. If they literally want all abortion banned, then that is their problem with the consequences. I got my own state to worry about, though glad the Republican governor who got nearly all abortion banned is running neck and neck with the female Democrat in polling. The governor also has scandals and other controversies making him look bad, besides abortion.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-21-2022 at 02:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtsong View Post
And Democrats release rapists, murderers and felons on the street.

19th century? You do know the Nazis were advocating for abortion against undesirables, or did you flunk that part of history? They started with the handicap, and one look at leftist Western Europe says it all. That wasn’t 19th century in case you need a history lesson.

CNN is also a meme network, it’s a comedy and propaganda network disguised as entertainment. American leftists are so gullible.
So, to get you more on to the topic of this thread, do you side with those Louisiana Republicans who want all abortion banned with prison time for violators? I know I don't.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:38 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,389,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtsong View Post
To get back on topic, do you agree with the constitution on State rights or do you believe in violating State rights?

Further, do you disagree the Nazis first policies that led to the Holocaust had to do with eliminating undesirables via abortion and extermination? If so, on what historical grounds? Believe me, you will lose this argument on both fronts rather quickly so be prepared.

Appeal to emotion doesn’t work with historical facts.
You seem confused about the topic.

We are not discussing the state being able to abort or exterminate anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies