Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 10:42 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this a little more and there's something I'm having a tough time reconciling. Would be interested in other's take on it.

Growing up my group of friends and I did some pretty stupid and reckless things. Lived in a more rural area so it was stuff like getting crazy with ATVs and snowmobiles, dangerous things with fireworks, some pretty sketchy situations climbing and jumping off waterfalls or old quarries. All things that could have easily ended up with people in the hospital or worse. Surely I'm not the only one who looks back at their youth and says "Wow, how did I survive that!?"

But for whatever reason (have a hard time putting into words) I feel like that's somehow more normal or acceptable? Like it's a coming of age, young people pushing boundaries and seeking thrills thing. Where the NyQuil chicken and Tide pod stuff seems more idiotic and pointless to me. But maybe I'm off base and they are really the same thing? And it's just presenting in a different way now due to technology and social media?

I don't know. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 10:56 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I was thinking about this a little more and there's something I'm having a tough time reconciling. Would be interested in other's take on it.

Growing up my group of friends and I did some pretty stupid and reckless things. Lived in a more rural area so it was stuff like getting crazy with ATVs and snowmobiles, dangerous things with fireworks, some pretty sketchy situations climbing and jumping off waterfalls or old quarries. All things that could have easily ended up with people in the hospital or worse. Surely I'm not the only one who looks back at their youth and says "Wow, how did I survive that!?"

But for whatever reason (have a hard time putting into words) I feel like that's somehow more normal or acceptable? Like it's a coming of age, young people pushing boundaries and seeking thrills thing. Where the NyQuil chicken and Tide pod stuff seems more idiotic and pointless to me. But maybe I'm off base and they are really the same thing? And it's just presenting in a different way now due to technology and social media?

I don't know. What do you think?
IMO, one is pushing the limits and having fun. Yes, a bunch of us did some dumb things growing up as its part of, well, growing up and experiencing life.

How else do we get people racing dirt bikes, drag racing, putting on fireworks for the 4th, diving, Olympic athletes etc...

But these modern challenges aren't anything like that. They are just plain dumb.

Yea, I think many can look back at their younger selves and ask "why am I still here" And then get a chuckle and say, but I had some fun and would do it again".

But tide pods, NyQuil chicken and all these other stupid dares? Just pure idiocracy that has no chance of leading to anything.

Life isn't supposed to be boring! But its not suposed to be just plain dumb either!

Old 09-21-2022, 11:21 AM

6,097 posts, read 2,717,141 times
I'm sorry but if you're dumb enough to cook your chicken with Nyquil then your brain cells are surely fried and you deserve the Darwin award.

They get a lot of these ideas from TikTok which I still don't understand what the allure of that is all about.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
It's the nighttime sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy-head-fever-so-you-can-rest entree!

Old 09-21-2022, 11:52 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Darn! First they tell us we shouldn't eat tide pods....now they tell us we shouldn't cook our chicken in nyquil!

Who knew????

Old 09-21-2022, 11:57 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,751,492 times
I can barely take NyQuil when I have flu-like symptoms. That stuff is so nasty tasting.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:09 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dont...111747913.html

Don't even know what to say here - who would have thought of doing this in the first place?
Yeah, I just dashed into the kitchen to tell my wife of 32 years that I just found out she should NOT use Nyquil to cook chicken!

There was this looong silence.... And then her answer included the "F" word.
I left the kitchen.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:43 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Can I still put it in my brownies?

Old 09-21-2022, 12:47 PM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Can I still put it in my brownies?
I prefer chocolate ExLax, but a little drizzle of NyQuil could provide a nice festive pop for the holidays.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
And this is why President Trump wanted to ban Tik Tok.
I agree that Tik Tok is brainless and worthless, but banning? Nah.

I did a lot of stupid things in my youth, too. Good thing there were no smartphone cameras back then - waiting 2 weeks for the prints and/or Super 8 film would have killed the buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Robitussin pork chops are a good alternative.
I was thinking Vicks 44; the licorice flavor would be oh so tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
On a side note, Robitussin Pork Chops was the name of my high school garage band. We specialized in Jane's Addiction and Pork Tornado mash-ups; it was quite a musical feat but nobody seemed to appreciate the eccentric genius of it.
That's pretty awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, I just dashed into the kitchen to tell my wife of 32 years that I just found out she should NOT use Nyquil to cook chicken!

There was this looong silence.... And then her answer included the "F" word.
I left the kitchen.
Was her answer "Get the F out of my kitchen!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies