Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 07:44 AM

15,296 posts, read 7,334,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The 1934 NFA (National Firearms Act) was first brought to a District Court in northern Arkansas in the case US v. Miller. The firearm in question in this case, was a short-barreled shotgun the Miller had purchased for $5.00. Later he brought it across a state line, without getting the forms and paying the tax ($200.00!!) required by the NFA.

It took the judge 20 minutes to decide that the NFA was clearly NOT a tax bill, but a deliberate attempt to prevent sales and other transfers of firearms from person to person. He declared the NFA unconstitutional.

The U.S. Govt immediately took the case directly to the Supreme Court. Miller and his lawyer failed to show up for the trail, so the Justices rubber-stamped some lies into the record and overturned the District Court's judgement.

ON EDIT:
Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce is codified in the body of the original Constitution. The 2nd amendment (and the rest of the Bill of Rights) were added approx. 10 years later. Since it came later as an amendment, it modified sections of the Constitution to which it applied. One of those sections was the language declaring that Congress had the power to regulate IC.

Once the BOR was ratified, Congress still had the power to regulate IC... as long as its regulation did not violate the right of the people to keep and bear arms. The 1934 NFA clearly did exactly that, charging a $200 tax on a purchase that cost $5. The intention of the NFA was clearly to infringe the right or keep and bear arms by preventing the large majority of sales or other transfers of firearms, not merely to raise revenue. And that made it unconstitutional.
Since SCOTUS overruled the District Court, the District Court decision is irrelevant. Miller should have shown up for the oral arguments, even if he was dead. That's how it works. NFA is a tax law. Period.

And no, the 2nd Amendment does not override the Commerce Clause. The Federal Government can still regulate the transport of firearms in interstate commerce, prohibit firearms from being sold by mail order, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 07:27 AM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
do the inner city gangsters feel remorse about all the death they cause? who cares, right? the constitution doesn’t care about your emotions and mental gymnastics. it doesn’t care what prosecutors do or don’t do. it doesn’t care about racist vigilantes. it doesn’t care about the victims of gun violence…and it shouldn’t. the founders knew that an armed populace was important for many reasons. it’s my constitutional right to own guns. i can have no guns, or many guns. just because you think it will be a problem for me in some way is irrelevant.
Further to that point inner city gangsters are oblivious to any law at all. Contrary to that point, however, is the fact that a gun law violation provides a method of imprisoning people whom, for whatever reason are acquitted of the underlying murder or attempted murder charge. In the Bronx, I don't remember how long ago, someone was acquitted by a jury of shooting a police officer but convicted on the gun charge. So bottom line, I am totally conflicted on these issues.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM

7,476 posts, read 6,222,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
NYC here, I carried illegally for protection back in the bad old days and I’m about ready to do it a second time now that the wild bunch is free to kill once again. 2A is still the law. I don’t gaf what the mayor says. He’d probably give his police chief a secret fist-bump if another garden-variety-white-guy like me gets bumped off in a carjacking. Fk that sht. I’m ready to step up to the plate like Bernie G.
"You seem to be all right, here's another"

Old 09-27-2022, 12:32 PM

23,660 posts, read 23,982,865 times
An update on Duncan v Bonta, which challenges California's magazine capacity limit. Magazine capacity limits are about to go the way of the dinosaur.

Another domino is falling. Bruen has truly reset the game.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:04 PM

6,943 posts, read 3,608,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
An update on Duncan v Bonta, which challenges California's magazine capacity limit. Magazine capacity limits are about to go the way of the dinosaur.

Another domino is falling. Bruen has truly reset the game.
The state will use their 45 days and the 9th will do whatever they can to delay and obstruct, but the writing is on the wall: standard-capacity magazine bans are done.

I read that perhaps 1 million mags were sold in California during Freedom Week.

SB23 is next.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:37 PM

29,179 posts, read 14,465,656 times
So, anyone know what the status of the AR pistol brace ban is ? Haven't heard anything new on that.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:43 PM

50,153 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The state will use their 45 days and the 9th will do whatever they can to delay and obstruct, but the writing is on the wall: standard-capacity magazine bans are done.

I read that perhaps 1 million mags were sold in California during Freedom Week.

SB23 is next.
Lefters need to focus on crime not law abiding.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 PM

17,422 posts, read 13,200,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
No wonder gun homicides are off the chain.
Those are stolen or illegally purchased guns for the most part

Old 09-27-2022, 07:12 PM

23,660 posts, read 23,982,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, anyone know what the status of the AR pistol brace ban is ? Haven't heard anything new on that.
There's been news lately on that. Most recently today.

Another recent SCOTUS decision - West Virginia v EPA - could do some serious damage to the ATF's ability to be buttholes. I think the nuances of that are too much for this board, though, so I don't really talk about it here.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:52 AM

29,179 posts, read 14,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's been news lately on that. Most recently today.

Another recent SCOTUS decision - West Virginia v EPA - could do some serious damage to the ATF's ability to be buttholes. I think the nuances of that are too much for this board, though, so I don't really talk about it here.
Hopefully it doesn't happen. Decisions would have to be made, NFA Trust or just pay the tax stamps for SBR's. And MI's laws will complicate it even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies