Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 01:23 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My post was exactly on topic. A being does not have to be fully formed in every regard to be an example of that type of being. An embryo is a very young human being. Early cardiac cells contracting are the early stages of its heart. When an embryo is aborted, those heart cells stop contracting. When an embryo is aborted, it dies. It is then a human being which died in an early stage of development.

It is absolutely astonishing the lengths to which people will go to justify their beliefs and actions. Confronted with a growing human embryo with pumping cardiac cells which will stop pumping in an abortion, all they have to say is "it isn't a heart yet."
Most pro-choice people do not find the issue of heartbeat relevant.

This is an issue raised by anti-abortion rights legislators to create an emotional response.

What relevance does it have in the debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 01:23 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I disagree. A sprout is like an embryo or early fetus. It has not differentiated into different types of cells or organs yet. Where is the bark in an acorn sprout? Where are the leaves? Where is the pith in an acorn sprout? Where is the cambium layer? Where is the sapwood?

A sprout has not yet developed the various parts of the tree.

Rudimentary cardiac myocytes are not a heart, yet.
Sounds to me like the same logic that can't define a woman, either.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:25 PM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Because, our medical society uses a heartbeat to determine when someone is alive, and the lack of a heartbeat to determine when someone is dead.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:28 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My post was exactly on topic. A being does not have to be fully formed in every regard to be an example of that type of being. An embryo is a very young human being. Early cardiac cells contracting are the early stages of its heart. When an embryo is aborted, those heart cells stop contracting. When an embryo is aborted, it dies. It is then a human being which died in an early stage of development.

It is absolutely astonishing the lengths to which people will go to justify their beliefs and actions. Confronted with a growing human embryo with pumping cardiac cells which will stop pumping in an abortion, all they have to say is "it isn't a heart yet."
I don't get how some people fail to comprehend that fact. Abortion is in fact... killing. It kills a human life. And sadly, 98.3% of the time, abortions kill healthy developing babies in healthy pregnancies for no reason other than convenience. That's nothing other than the sociopathic violation of the Non-Aggression Principle. Sociopaths, by definition:
  • feel little/no guilt for the harm they cause others
  • use manipulation and/or deceit to get their way

Old 09-22-2022, 01:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:

This is an issue raised by anti-abortion rights legislators to create an emotional response.

Well, the relevance on what is and is not a heartbeat is specific to this thread. However, the crux of the issue is Abrams claimed a heartbeat sound from an ultrasound is manufactured to control women. That is straight off into conspiracy theory land. She didn't say it's too early for viability or any of the other arguments I generally see from pro-choice people. Nope, just stated it was manufactured. Either that was the worst word choice possible or she believes that and yikes if she does.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:30 PM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't get how some people fail to comprehend that fact. Abortion is in fact... killing. It kills a human life. And sadly, 98.3% of the time, abortions kill healthy developing babies in healthy pregnancies for no reason other than convenience. That's nothing other than the sociopathic violation of the Non-Aggression Principle. Sociopaths, by definition:
Yep! And, the court system agrees. That is why someone who murders a pregnant woman is charged with two counts of homicide.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:52 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Quote:

Considers science an "emotional response"

Considers heartbeat "irrelevant" when discussing life

Old 09-22-2022, 01:54 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Agree. Manufactured certainly has a connotation that there is nothing there at all and all of the doctors, machine manufacturers, and technicians are involved in this huge conspiracy to create some sound out of nothing only to control women. It's definitely one of the crazier things I've heard from a candidate.
she's nuts. there's no connotation, it's an outright claim.

"a manufactured sound DESIGNED..."

Old 09-22-2022, 02:10 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, the relevance on what is and is not a heartbeat is specific to this thread. However, the crux of the issue is Abrams claimed a heartbeat sound from an ultrasound is manufactured to control women. That is straight off into conspiracy theory land. She didn't say it's too early for viability or any of the other arguments I generally see from pro-choice people. Nope, just stated it was manufactured. Either that was the worst word choice possible or she believes that and yikes if she does.
Abram's is an complete fool. Now I'm no doctor and I'm not sure what can be detected at 5 weeks but the Mayo Clinic says this at 9-12 weeks of a pregnancy

Quote:
Near the end of the first trimester — by about nine to 12 weeks of pregnancy — you might be able to hear your baby's heartbeat with a small device (fetal Doppler) that bounces sound waves off your baby's heart
https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.o...each-trimester

Old 09-22-2022, 02:26 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Abram's is an complete fool. Now I'm no doctor and I'm not sure what can be detected at 5 weeks but the Mayo Clinic says this at 9-12 weeks of a pregnancy

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.o...each-trimester
Yes, my ob/gyn pulled out the Doppler at about 12 weeks in each of my pregnancies. But, we could see the heartbeat on an ultrasound considerably before that. For example, here's a video of an ultrasound at 7 weeks. The beating heart can easily be seen and there is an arrow pointing to it at 0:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPTYd1jFCxQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies