Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 11:21 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

The foundation for a strong America, is a strong family. A family where the man and woman are married (hopefully for life) and love one another. A family where the children respect the parents and the parents nurture and love their children.

We are wondering what the heck is happening to our country.... It's right there. No families, no country.

It's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 12:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The foundation for a strong America, is a strong family. A family where the man and woman are married (hopefully for life) and love one another. A family where the children respect the parents and the parents nurture and love their children.

We are wondering what the heck is happening to our country.... It's right there. No families, no country.

It's really that simple.
No that's the model that was. Marriage today is a commitment between 2 people and not always of opposite genders and as I agree with you "love one another" and "hopefully for life". Parents regardless of the makeup need to be parents, not friend, not adults with legal guardians but parents who educate, raise and hopefully instill values into their children.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:01 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And most marriages don't end in divorce. The statistics for divorce are made worse by those who get divorced multiple times. There is a very high rate of divorce for those who have already done it once.

It works just fine for many. Maybe those who think a partner needs to meet "every other kind of need" are part of the problem. A healthy relationship isn't too dependent on only one person for "every other kind of need."
This is a very important point, and it comes down to expectations. If one spouse expects that the other will completely fulfill his/her social needs, for example, (such as being together every night, always joining in each other's social plans, never going out of town with other friends, etc) that is not a realistic expectation.

Or perhaps one spouse wants to be intellectually fulfilled by the other, watching documentaries together, reading books and discussing, etc, but the other spouse isn't into that, it could create problems.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:04 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
We have seen the devastation that the phenomenon of unwedded mothers have brought upon the black race. Is that something we, as a society, should really be encouraging more of?
I definitely didn't intend to imply that we *should* be moving away from marriage. I absolutely agree that unwed motherhood is a problem in our society.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:06 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I definitely didn't intend to imply that we *should* be moving away from marriage. I absolutely agree that unwed motherhood is a problem in our society.
But it's not really a "problem" if we shower them with benefits, money, etc.
It does not discourage single motherhood.

In fact they are portrayed as victims of society.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:12 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Do you think marriage as we know it will eventually die out, and if yes, what do you think will replace it?
In general, people are better off if they can stay married to one person for their entire life. That is the best arrangement for financial well-being and raising a family.

I think people should try as hard as they can to remain faithful to each other and make their marriage work. The only exception should be when there is physical abuse going on. At that point, I agree people need to move on.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:30 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
anecdotally, my marriage of over three decades has taught me the most about myself and how to be a better person, given me my biggest supporter in life, and provided a good father for my children.

i hope marriage never dies. it has been a foundation of the human experience for a very long time for a reason.

my marriage has not always been easy (there have been two or three real rough patches) over the years, but nothing in my life compares to the joy experienced in this committed partnership. i'm still crazy about the guy....

Old 09-22-2022, 12:35 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Commitment is important, but marriage? I'm not so sure. In particular for my partner and I, his student loans (law school, so big $) and their impact on his credit score and our financial risk assessment are a big deal. We can accomplish most of the legal benefits through other documents.

I'm also an adult, so there's absolutely no reason for me to change my name.

For me, I just have to wonder what is in it for me to actually get married? I mean, we can throw ourselves a party and go on a great vacation whenever we want without the wedding markup.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:38 PM

631 posts, read 288,554 times
Thankfully, the SSA doesn't think it's a dying institution. Being married, typically and traditionally, confers a great deal of financial and practical protection for the spouses. Survivors benefits and retirement benefits can be literal life-savers. I was widowed in my early mid-life, and I am still singing prayers of thanks for the institution of marriage -- and the government institutions that recognize it.

Marriage and family are the building units of society, and should be fiercely protected as such. Marriages and families ensure the protection and survival of their members. At the end of the day, no one will love your child as you do, and, given enough time and investment, no one will love you as your spouse does, simply by virtue of the time and investment you have put into each other -- and the shared love you have for your children.

Not that it always works out that way, but the idea is to have that BFF who will always look out for your best interest, just as you both look out for your children's best interest. If my first husband hadn't had a spouse, he would have died a long, painful death, alone, relegated to a nursing home (and btw, he was just a middle-aged guy at the height of his career, for all you who think that possibility is reserved for old age). My aunt would have died a terrified death, of an unexpected pulmonary embolism that stopped her heart, if my uncle hadn't been there with her. Like I said -- BFF's who make the difference between life and death, hope and despair.

Last edited by Timaea; 09-22-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-22-2022, 12:40 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Marriage is an option for those that want it but it is not the only option anymore. Today you don't need to married to have intimate relations, or to have kids or to have a career. I think those choosing it will continue to diminish but it won't go away.
It's never been the case that one needed to be married to have sexual intercourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies