Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 08:00 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
"Marriage" was originally a convenient between man, women and Church/God. Since governments hate to feel left out, Marriage was turned into a legal incorporation of sorts, very easy to get into.....but very expensive and complicated to get out of. It is said the women control relationships, but it is men that ultimately decided about marriage. I think marriage rates will continue to decline until prenups are built into the marriage license. WHY should men put all their assets, future earnings, and retirement accounts at risk? She gets bored, cheats, wants out of the marriage in a couple years and she walks with life-long cash and prizes.
That is an interesting idea. It might work for determining ahead of time how assets would be split in case of divorce. And maybe it could work for child custody, being an automatic 50-50 split, unless one parent is shown to be dangerous and unfit. But divorce attorneys would fight that tooth and nail. Attorneys love ugly divorces, with their $500/hour fees (and higher). It should not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees to get divorced, but I have personally known of such cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:08 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
"Marriage" was originally a convenient between man, women and Church/God. Since governments hate to feel left out, Marriage was turned into a legal incorporation of sorts, very easy to get into.....but very expensive and complicated to get out of. It is said the women control relationships, but it is men that ultimately decided about marriage. I think marriage rates will continue to decline until prenups are built into the marriage license. WHY should men put all their assets, future earnings, and retirement accounts at risk? She gets bored, cheats, wants out of the marriage in a couple years and she walks with life-long cash and prizes.
I agree. I wouldn't get married again w/o more equitable divorce laws, and a w/o having a pre-nup in place.

The laws are extremely outdated, and unfair to men. I have already alerted our Son to this fact. He stands to inherit a lot of money, & we dont want to see 1/2 of it all lost on a failed 1st marriage. We backloaded the trust payouts, but then the laws changed to forces earlier payouts, so the feds can tax it. Now, we have to figure out a way to re-structure our wills & trusts, or he'll require a pre-nup to exclude his inheritance as being part of the marital property.

Here's a novel idea...marriages that legally expire as soon as all the kids leave the nest. The couple can always re-marry if they please.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:11 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 139,528 times
God instituted marriage, and the Word of the Lord endures forever.

So, no.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
LOL.
The initial purpose of marriage was to insure paternity.

What makes you think men put assets, future earning and retirement at risk? You realize most people either get married early on before they have assets, substantial earning or retirement, or marry later (which is the growing trend) when BOTH parties have accumulated assets, substantial earnings and savings, right. Nearly half of the US workforce is made up of women.

Apparently, you are not aware that both parties contribute to the cash and prizes and that life long alimony went the way of the dinosaur. Unless you marry someone with no earning potential and keep them as a dependent child you dont have any worries about losing YOUR assets and future earnings.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree. I wouldn't get married again w/o more equitable divorce laws, and a w/o having a pre-nup in place.

The laws are extremely outdated, and unfair to men. I have already alerted our Son to this fact. He stands to inherit a lot of money, & we dont want to see 1/2 of it all lost on a failed 1st marriage. We backloaded the trust payouts, but then the laws changed to forces earlier payouts, so the feds can tax it. Now, we have to figure out a way to re-structure our wills & trusts, or he'll require a pre-nup to exclude his inheritance as being part of the marital property.

Here's a novel idea...marriages that legally expire as soon as all the kids leave the nest. The couple can always re-marry if they please.
Then dont get married.

You realize the tables can be turned. What if it was your daughter. Would laws still be unfair to men. These laws are not gender specific.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post

So, no.
Only if you believe in Sky Fairies. My lady and I have been together 39 years and see no need for a legal or religious contract.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:04 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default So non-Catholics ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post

So, no.
... be darn.

Why do "Black Lives Matter" proponents forget the American Civil War? Or. the bible thumpers forget the Reformation?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:06 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I don't think divorce law is unfair to men.

My fiance and I both have trust funds, A trust created during a marriage can consist of both community property and separate property.

In a divorce, if assets in the trust are considered to be community property, they will usually be split equally between the parties. If certain trust property is considered separate property, this property will usually remain in the possession of the spouse who initially owned the asset. Keep in mind, though, that the trust can lay out different distributions.

I think during a marriage, there is no such a thing as me myself and I. I consider my money his money, he considers his money my money.

Which is why I said it earlier in my post, If I were a man, I would not marry a woman who is financially irresponsible or dirty poor. MANY TIMES (not all times) financial irresponsibility is a character issue. Same rule applies to women.

I hope I did not offend you in anyway. I guess the point I am making here is that If one does not feel their trust fund should be community asset, there is a way to avoid it. I don't think it is unfair to either party.

Forgot to add: and this is not directed to any posters here in this thread, Decent men consider their wives equal partners. Even IF the woman decided to stay at home taking care of the household and children, she contributes a lot to the marriage. If one does not think this is fair, sure, don't get married.

Same goes, if my fiance lost all his money and his businesses, I will use my money to support the household, I don't think that is unfair either. <shrug>

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-23-2022 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 09:19 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Not with Christians

Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think divorce law is unfair to men.

My fiance and I both have trust funds, A trust created during a marriage can consist of both community property and separate property.

In a divorce, if assets in the trust are considered to be community property, they will usually be split equally between the parties. If certain trust property is considered separate property, this property will usually remain in the possession of the spouse who initially owned the asset. Keep in mind, though, that the trust can lay out different distributions.

I think during a marriage, there is no such a thing as me myself and I. I consider my money his money, he considers his money my money.

Which is why I said it earlier in my post, If I were a man, I would not marry a woman who is financially irresponsible or dirty poor. MANY TIMES (not all times) financial irresponsibility is a character issue. Same rule applies to women.

I hope I did not offend you in anyway. I guess the point I am making here is that If one does not feel their trust fund should be community asset, there is a way to avoid it. I don't think it is unfair to either party.

Forgot to add: and this is not directed to any posters here in this thread, Decent men consider their wives equal partners. Even IF the woman decided to stay at home taking care of the household and children, she contributes a lot to the marriage. If one does not think this is fair, sure, don't get married.

Same goes, if my fiance lost all his money and his businesses, I will use my money to support the household, I don't think that is unfair either. <shrug>
I agree with you. Marriage is about forming a partnership for the benefit of both parties and any future children. If one is going to form a partnership make wise and informed decisions. If one does not like the idea of a partnership, then by all means do not marry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies