Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your next vehicle purchase be an electric vehicle?
No - I'm sticking with gas powered 144 78.26%
Yes, I prefer the electric vehicle 24 13.04%
Other type powered vehicle 11 5.98%
I don't drive 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,388,314 times

Advertisements

The next car we buy, if it's a new car, will likely be hybrid technology. I love the idea of battery power but also want to have the option of gas power when needed. We haven't done a lot of research though and things may be different in a couple of years. But overall we are definitely interested in lessening our dependence on gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 12:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 14,361,494 times
Okay, I don't do that whole trip in one day. But the point is, I can't drain down a battery, and then sit and wait hours for it to recharge. Also, I can't always know that there will be charging stations where I'm going.

In point of fact, I consider electric vehicles a dead end technology. What really needs to be done is to leverage the existing liquid fuel infrastructure to deliver carbon neutral biofuels to existing vehicle that could be modified to use them. Trying to develop and entire new infrastructure to support an entirely new vehicle fleet is an absolutely absurd idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
While EV's had a fairly slow start, the technology is getting much better. In a few years, you'll be able to drive a normal days drive, stop and recharge fairly quickly.

Not that many people drive 16 hour days.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:58 PM

12,640 posts, read 9,150,926 times
Quote:
I have not met a person that has driven an EV, that doesn't think it's the best car they have ever driven in. But too each his own.

While EV's had a fairly slow start, the technology is getting much better. In a few years, you'll be able to drive a normal days drive, stop and recharge fairly quickly.

My only comparison is that I like an electric golf cart much, much more than a gas-powered one.

One of my buddies has a Toyota RAV-4 hybrid and loves it. Hybrid may be the way to go over total EV until the technology advances some more.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:58 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,672,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Okay, I don't do that whole trip in one day. But the point is, I can't drain down a battery, and then sit and wait hours for it to recharge. Also, I can't always know that there will be charging stations where I'm going.

In point of fact, I consider electric vehicles a dead end technology. What really needs to be done is to leverage the existing liquid fuel infrastructure to deliver carbon neutral biofuels to existing vehicle that could be modified to use them. Trying to develop and entire new infrastructure to support an entirely new vehicle fleet is an absolutely absurd idea.
Again, most newer EV's will be able to recharge to 80% in under 20 minutes, soon 10 minutes or less. Do you not stop to go pee or get a bite to eat? Heck, the other day, I waited 15 minutes to refuel at the Costco.

Charging stations will be abundant soon. The EV will DIRECT you to the closest one.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:59 PM

6,701 posts, read 13,912,671 times
I can see owning one as a commuter car to get too work but at this point I have to have a gas operated car to take a long trips with the family if I want. Technology is not advanced enough for me to go all in electric. With the price of new cars I doubt I will be buying anything new in the near future.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:00 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,672,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
My only comparison is that I like an electric golf cart much, much more than a gas-powered one.

One of my buddies has a Toyota RAV-4 hybrid and loves it. Hybrid may be the way to go over total EV until the technology advances some more.
I would advise you to rent one, Turo has many. But then you be instantly addicted. It ain't no golf cart!!

Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM

25,404 posts, read 9,687,468 times
Quote:
I have not met a person that has driven an EV, that doesn't think it's the best car they have ever driven in. But too each his own.

I'm sure at the point I need a new car, I'll do my research. That's good to know though.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 5,761,692 times
Quote:
Again, most newer EV's will be able to recharge to 80% in under 20 minutes, soon 10 minutes or less. Do you not stop to go pee or get a bite to eat? Heck, the other day, I waited 15 minutes to refuel at the Costco.

Charging stations will be abundant soon. The EV will DIRECT you to the closest one.
Great news for copper thieves.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:03 PM

6,626 posts, read 9,177,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I have no desire for an electric vehicle. Hopefully, I won't have to make that decision for years to come.
Sorry, your party is going to force you into one sometime around 2035, that is if you want a new vehicle.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 2,918,474 times
Much like most environment-related predictions, EVs becoming the standard is a complete hoax.

This poll is a microcosm of that. They simply don't provide the functionality that fossil fuel based vehicles do.

There are millions of years of energy packed into gasoline. Batteries are simply not a viable solution for a massive fleet of commuter vehicles, ATVs, construction equipment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies